The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Apply existing number codes to spell new words

In this worksheet, students will turn words into number codes using words with similar codes as a base. It will develop their encoding and problem solving skills.

'Apply existing number codes to spell new words' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:   Number Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi there code cracker!

Today we are going to learn about a new type of code.

When you turn a word into code, each letter can be represented by a number.

Let’s look at a question together:

If FLOWER is 785901, then WOLF is ____

wolf head

You may have noticed that the word WOLF contains the same letters as the word FLOWER.

So the answer can be worked out by using the code introduced by the example word.

The W in FLOWER is 9 (W=9).

The O in FLOWER is 5 (O=5).

The L in FLOWER is 8 (L=8).

The F in FLOWER is 7 (F=7).

So WOLF is 9587 in code.

Let’s try another:

If the code for DINOSAUR is 51372894, then AROUND is ____.

The word DINOSAUR contains the same letters as AROUND, so we can use this to work out the new code.

So the code for AROUND is 847935.

In this activity, you will be a code cracker and change words into number codes. Make a note of the number that matches each letter; you may want to create your own grid to help with this.

Pssstt!! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

It can be really helpful to write the word out and then write the corresponding numbers above each letter.  Give it a go!

Let’s get started!

Welcome back to number code breaking, code cracker! Are you ready for another worksheet? I think so! Remember, you're aiming for superstar status and I know you can do it!

Let's...

If the code for URCHIN is 623105, what is the code for CHIN?

OK, onto another question code cracker! Here's a handy hint: I'm not asking you to mix up any letters yet. You can transfer the code straight out of the long word.

If the code for FREEDOM is 9211734, what is the code for REED?

You're doing brilliantly, code cracker! Right, let's have a go at another question. I still haven't changed the pattern, so you just need to take the code for the shorter word straight out of the code for the longer word.

If the code for SLIP is 4103, what is the code for LIP?

If the code for PHOTOCOPY is 971213190, what is the code for HOT?

OK, code cracker, you are halfway - brilliant effort so far!

If the code for STEEL is 36114, what is the code for EEL?

Come on then, code cracker, let's tackle these last five questions!

If the code for PAPER is 61624, what is the code for APE?

You have done so well, code cracker. Let's keep aiming for superstar status!

If the code for RECOVERY is 72316275, what is the code for OVER?

We are only a few questions away from the end, code cracker. Fantastic work!

If the code for METALLIC is 61234409, what is the code for TALL?

We are at our penultimate question, code cracker - what brilliant progress you have made!

If the code for MONEY is 61743, what is the code for ONE?

You've made it to the last question, code cracker. Hurrah!

If the code for KILOGRAM is 61724309, what is the code for LOG?

• Question 1

Welcome back to number code breaking, code cracker! Are you ready for another worksheet? I think so! Remember, you're aiming for superstar status and I know you can do it!

Let's...

If the code for URCHIN is 623105, what is the code for CHIN?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you manage with this one, code cracker? I hope it makes sense! I started with a fairly simple one - you'll notice that the word CHIN is the last four letters of the word URCHIN! So, we can work out that: The C in URCHIN is 3. The H in URCHIN is 1. The I in URCHIN is 0. The N in URCHIN is 5. So, the code for CHIN is 3105!
  • Question 2

OK, onto another question code cracker! Here's a handy hint: I'm not asking you to mix up any letters yet. You can transfer the code straight out of the long word.

If the code for FREEDOM is 9211734, what is the code for REED?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you see the code, code cracker? You can find the word REED in the word FREEDOM, which is handy! Let's look a bit more carefully at this. If we look at the code, we can see that: The R in URCHIN is 2. The E in URCHIN is 1. The E in URCHIN is 1. The E in URCHIN is 7. So, the code for REED is 2117! Let's keep working, code cracker!
  • Question 3

You're doing brilliantly, code cracker! Right, let's have a go at another question. I still haven't changed the pattern, so you just need to take the code for the shorter word straight out of the code for the longer word.

If the code for SLIP is 4103, what is the code for LIP?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I think this was quite a nice question, code cracker, don't you? The word LIP is in the word SLIP - in fact, all you need to do is remove the first letter! So, if we know the code for SLIP is 4103, then we know the S is 4. So we just need to remove the 4 to work out that the code for LIP is 103!
  • Question 4

If the code for PHOTOCOPY is 971213190, what is the code for HOT?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you manage with this one, code cracker? I hope it makes sense! I think you're getting into the swing of things, especially if you noticed that the word HOT is in the word PHOTOCOPY! So, we can work out that: The H in PHOTOCOPY is 7. The O in PHOTOCOPY is 1. The T in PHOTOCOPY is 2. So, the code for HOT is 712!
  • Question 5

OK, code cracker, you are halfway - brilliant effort so far!

If the code for STEEL is 36114, what is the code for EEL?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I think you are really getting to grips with this now, code cracker. If you find you are still getting muddled at moments, that's OK - I'm here to help! The word EEL is the last three letters of the word STEEL. We know the code for the word STEEL is 36114. The last three numbers of the code are 114, so the code for EEL must be 114!
  • Question 6

Come on then, code cracker, let's tackle these last five questions!

If the code for PAPER is 61624, what is the code for APE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
So again, code cracker, we can see that the word APE is in the word PAPER! Hurrah! If we look at the code, then, we can see that: The A in PAPER is 1. The P in PAPER is 6. The E in PAPER is 2. So, the code for APE is 162!
  • Question 7

You have done so well, code cracker. Let's keep aiming for superstar status!

If the code for RECOVERY is 72316275, what is the code for OVER?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot the word OVER in RECOVERY? I hope so! Keep looking to see if you can find the shorter words in the longer words - it will really help you in the long run! So, because we know the code for RECOVERY, we know the code for OVER because: The O in RECOVERY is 1. The V in RECOVERY is 6. The E in RECOVERY is 2. The R in RECOVERY is 7. So, the code for OVER is 1627!
  • Question 8

We are only a few questions away from the end, code cracker. Fantastic work!

If the code for METALLIC is 61234409, what is the code for TALL?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you take my advice from the last question and look for the shorter word in the longer word, code cracker? Make sure you do! If you did, you would have seen that: The T in METALLIC is 2. The A in METALLIC is 3. The L in METALLIC is 4. The L in METALLIC is 4. So, we know that the code for TALL is 2344!
  • Question 9

We are at our penultimate question, code cracker - what brilliant progress you have made!

If the code for MONEY is 61743, what is the code for ONE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
I hope you spotted that the word ONE is in the word MONEY. It will definitely have made cracking the code a bit easier! All we have to do is see that: The O in MONEY is 1. The N in MONEY is 7. The E in MONEY is 4. So, the code for ONE is 174!
  • Question 10

You've made it to the last question, code cracker. Hurrah!

If the code for KILOGRAM is 61724309, what is the code for LOG?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get this one correct, code cracker? I hope you feel like you are getting more confident with this code cracking skill! So as ever, the word LOG is in the word KILOGRAM. So, looking at the code for KILOGRAM we can see that: The L in KILOGRAM is 7. The O in KILOGRAM is 2. The G in KILOGRAM is 4. So, the code for LOG is 724! Wahoo! You made it! Give yourself a big pat on the back, code cracker!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.