The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Letter Connections (Letter and Number Pairs) Practice 2

In this practice exercise, students will solve sequences involving combined letter and number pairs, using addition and subtraction, in both a forward and reverse motion. It will develop students’ problem solving and sequencing skills, under timed conditions.

'Letter Connections (Letter and Number Pairs) Practice 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Letter Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

The following activity is a practice exercise to help you measure your success under timed conditions. 

If you are unsure of an answer move on to the next question.  You should come back to questions you found difficult at the end if you have time.  

Here is the alphabet for you to use as a reference:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Look at the following letter and number pair sequence:

F45 is to G43 as J37 is to ______?

First, we need to work out how the first letter becomes the second letter.

The letters are moving one place to the right in the alphabet.

Now we need to work out how the first number becomes the second number. This happens by subtracting two each time.

So we need to add one letter to J and subtract two numbers from 37 to get K35.

So the answer is:

F45 is to G43 as J37 is to K35.

Now it's time to begin this practice exercise.  Good luck!

Here are two groups of letter and number sequences. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters and numbers. 

B202 is to Y89 as G266 is to ______ ?

Z Y X W V U T S R Q P O N M L K J I H G F E D C B A

R132

T133

T134

R134

Here are two groups of letter and number sequences. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters and numbers. 

G244 is to Q113 as Z208 is to ______ ?

H77

K76

L78

J77

Let's try another one! Here are two groups of letter and number sequences. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters and numbers. 

V222 is to E37 as I209 is to ______ ?

S24

T22

R24

U26

Here are two groups of letter and number sequences. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters and numbers. 

K79 is to D224 as W91 is to ______ ?

P236

M326

P325

O201 is to L90 as H217 is to ______ ?

R107

T105

S106

S108

Here are two groups of numbers. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different numbers. 

M63 is to D257 as Z75 is to ______ ?

S268

R270

Q269

Keep going, sequence spotter! Here are two groups of letter and number sequences. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters and numbers. 

I234 is to T126 as V255 is to ______ ?

H147

F145

H146

G147

Q96 is to J248 as C123 is to ______ ?

Q275

R276

Q274

R275

Just a couple more to practice! Here are two groups of letter and number sequences. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters and numbers. 

U286 is to L89 as X217 is to ______ ?

P20

O22

O20

Q21

F122 is to U240 as A165 is to ______ ?

Y280

W281

Z283

X282

• Question 1

B202 is to Y89 as G266 is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
T133
EDDIE SAYS
A challenging mission, detective! There are two sequences here. The letters follow a mirror image sequence. The number sequence is to subtract 113.
Top tip: Remember to check the letter chart to see if it is a mirror image sequence or not.
  • Question 2

Here are two groups of letter and number sequences. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters and numbers. 

G244 is to Q113 as Z208 is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
J77
EDDIE SAYS
The letter sequence is to make ten jumps forwards in the alphabet. The number sequence is to subtract 131.
Top tip: If you are finding it tricky to work out the number sequence mentally, you may find it useful to have a piece of paper and pencil handy.
  • Question 3

Let's try another one! Here are two groups of letter and number sequences. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters and numbers. 

V222 is to E37 as I209 is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
R24
EDDIE SAYS
How are you getting on? Did you sot that the letters follow a mirror image sequence? The number sequence is to subtract 185.
  • Question 4

K79 is to D224 as W91 is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
P236
EDDIE SAYS
Whoosh, you're whizzing through this activity! The letter sequence is to take seven jumps backwards in the alphabet, so counting from W would take you back to P.
If you look at how the numbers change, the second number is higher. So, the number sequence is to add 145.
  • Question 5

O201 is to L90 as H217 is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
S106
EDDIE SAYS
You're halfway through, detective! The letters follow the mirror image sequence. The number sequence is to subtract again. This time it's 111.
  • Question 6

Here are two groups of numbers. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different numbers. 

M63 is to D257 as Z75 is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
Q269
EDDIE SAYS
Did you use the alphabet to count backwards to work this out? The letter sequence is to make nine jumps backwards in the alphabet.
The number sequence is to add 194. Fantastic!
  • Question 7

Keep going, sequence spotter! Here are two groups of letter and number sequences. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters and numbers. 

I234 is to T126 as V255 is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
G147
EDDIE SAYS
Did you work this one out? The letter sequence is to make eleven jumps forwards in the alphabet. The number sequence is to subtract 108. I hope you used your pencil and paper to help work that out!
  • Question 8

Q96 is to J248 as C123 is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
Q275
EDDIE SAYS
Don't forget to look out for these, sequence spotter - the letters follow a mirror image sequence. The number sequence is to add 152. Great!
  • Question 9

Just a couple more to practice! Here are two groups of letter and number sequences. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters and numbers. 

U286 is to L89 as X217 is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
O20
EDDIE SAYS
Check against the alphabet to see that the letter sequence is to take nine jumps backwards. The number sequence is to subtract 197. Now for the final question!
  • Question 10

F122 is to U240 as A165 is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
Z283
EDDIE SAYS
You should be getting good at spotting these by now - the letters follow a mirror image sequence. The number sequence is to add 118.
Now that the activity's done, we hope you had a heap of fun!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.