The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Solve Alphabetical Sequences Using Double Letter Pairs in Both Directions

In this worksheet, students will solve alphabetical sequences involving double letter pairs in both forward and reverse motions. It will develop students’ problem solving and sequencing skills.

'Solve Alphabetical Sequences Using Double Letter Pairs in Both Directions' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Letter Connections

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Letter detective, we need your help! In this activity, we will be using the alphabet to help us crack a letter code!

There are many different types of sequences. In letter pair sequences there are pairs of letters joined together by a common theme, normally the amount of space between them. Some follow a forwards sequence, while others follow a reverse alphabet sequence.

Here is the alphabet for you to use as a reference:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Look at the following letter sequence:

US is to QO as MK is to ___?

First, we have to work out how the first letter of the first pair (US) gets to the first letter of the second pair (QO).

To get from U to Q, we jump 4 places to the left.

Then we have to work out how the second letter of the first pair gets to the second letter of the second pair.

To get from S to O we also jump 4 places to the left.

This means we need to do the same to the letters M and K to work out the missing letters in our sequence.

This makes our missing letters IG.

So the answer is:

US is to QO as MK is to IG.

Let’s try another:

TR is to SU as BL is to ___?

To get from the first letter of the first pair to the first letter of the second pair, we jump 1 place to the left.

To get from the second letter of the first pair to the second letter of the second pair, we jump 3 places to the right.

This means we need to jump one place to the left from the letter B, giving us A and then three places to the right from L, giving us I.

So the correct answer is:

TR is to SU as BL is to AI.

In this activity, you will need to be a sequence superstar and complete the letter pairs.

Pssstt!! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

Remember to use the alphabet line to help you work out the code.

Here are two groups of letter pairs. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters. 

ML is to JT as OQ is to ______ ?

Use your detective skills to work out the special sequence and find the missing letter pair.

You may use the alphabet chart below to help you:

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Here are two groups of letter pairs. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters. 

KH is to FE as NO is to ______ ?

Use your detective skills to work out the special sequence and find the missing letter pair.

UH is to CB  as YT is to ______ ?

WP is to PZ as JW is to ______ ?

DZ is to AI as HK is to ______ ?

NH is to MD as QJ is to ______ ?

KD is to EM as VG is to ______ ?

MI is to FK as HW is to ______ ?

UI is to AC as AW is to ______ ?

YY is to UT as ZX is to ______ ?

• Question 1

ML is to JT as OQ is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
LY
EDDIE SAYS
Hi there detective! There are two different sequences here. The first letter in each pair has a sequence of three jumps backwards in the alphabet. The second letter has a sequence of eight jumps forwards.
  • Question 2

KH is to FE as NO is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
IL
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on?
The first letter in each pair has a sequence of five jumps backwards in the alphabet. The second letter has a sequence of three jumps backwards. Let's jump on into the next question, sequencing whizz!
  • Question 3

UH is to CB  as YT is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
GN
EDDIE SAYS
Remember to look at the first letter of each pair and count the number of moves there are between them and pay attention to which direction this happens. This pair moves in both directions! The first letter in each pair has a sequence of eight jump forwards in the alphabet. The second letter has a sequence of six jumps backwards.
  • Question 4

WP is to PZ as JW is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
CG
EDDIE SAYS
How are we doing letter sequencer? All this sequence jumping can take a lot of brain energy, but you are doing great! The first letter in each pair has a sequence of seven jumps backwards in the alphabet. The second letter has a sequence of ten jumps forwards.
  • Question 5

DZ is to AI as HK is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
ET
EDDIE SAYS
BOING! Did you bounce on into this one? The first letter in each pair has a sequence of three jumps backwards in the alphabet. The second letter has a sequence of nine jumps forwards.
Hi 5! You're now halfway through your mission!
  • Question 6

NH is to MD as QJ is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
PF
EDDIE SAYS
Did you work this one out?
Remember you can always write the letters on paper are you go? The first letter in each pair has a sequence of one jump backwards in the alphabet. The second letter has a sequence of four jumps backwards. What a spring you are putting in my step letter sequencer!
  • Question 7

KD is to EM as VG is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
PP
EDDIE SAYS
Top letter locating! Remember to look at the number of bounces along the alphabet line that the first letter does in pair one, to reach the first letter in pair two. The first letter in each pair has a sequence of six jumps backwards in the alphabet. The second letter has a sequence of nine jumps forwards.
  • Question 8

MI is to FK as HW is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
AY
EDDIE SAYS
Amazing effort! The first letter in each pair has a sequence of seven jumps backwards in the alphabet. The second letter has a sequence of two jumps forwards.
  • Question 9

UI is to AC as AW is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
GQ
EDDIE SAYS
The first letter in each pair has a sequence of six jumps forwards in the alphabet. The second letter has a sequence of six jumps backwards.
Wow, only one question to go, detective!
  • Question 10

YY is to UT as ZX is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
VS
EDDIE SAYS
Jump for Joy, you did it! The first letter in each pair has a sequence of four jumps backwards in the alphabet. The second letter has a sequence of five jumps backwards.
Well done, you've located all the letters that had gone missing!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1