The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Year 2 Revision: Reading and Writing - Level 2

In this worksheet, students revise the Year 2 reading and writing objectives. It is recommended that they complete the first revision worksheet before tackling this one.

'Year 2 Revision: Reading and Writing - Level 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 1

Curriculum topic:  Revision

Curriculum subtopic:  Year 2 Revision

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

In Year 2 you will have learnt a lot of new things in your English and Literacy lessons.

This worksheet goes over some of the reading and writing objectives so you can see what you know and what you still need to practise. The questions are harder than in the first revision worksheet, so it is a good idea to try that one first.

Sometimes the same group of letters can make different sounds. The letters ear can be pronounced in lots of different ways.

Read the list of words below and tick the one that rhymes with stair.

hear

bear

clear

near

When we read longer words it helps if we can spot parts that are similar to other words.

Look at the words in the list.

colourful

helpful

careful

truthful

They all end in the letters -ful, meaning 'full of'. If you come across another word ending in -ful, it probably means the same thing.

Read the words below and match them to their meanings. They all end with the letters -less, so think about what that might mean.

Column A

Column B

careless
not taking care over something
harmless
having no teeth
toothless
not causing any hurt or harm

When we read it usually helps to sound words out, but some words don't follow the rules and we just have to learn them.

The words in the list below can't be sounded out in the usual way. Read them carefully and match them to their meanings.

Column A

Column B

money
what we use to pay for things
pretty
something sweet that is used in baking
sugar
nice to look at

When we read we often come across words that we don't understand. One way of working out the meaning is to think about the rest of the sentence or story and see what would make sense. Look at the following passage from a story about a boy and his puppy.

Tommy's new puppy hated thunderstorms. He was frightened of the loud noise and the flashing of the lightning. Whenever there was a storm Tommy would find him cowering under the stairs and shivering.

You might not know what the word cowering means, but think about what you have read about the puppy and choose the correct meaning from the list below.

snoring loudly

crouching down in a frightened way

scratching himself

Read some more of the story of Tommy and his puppy.

One night, after a particularly violent storm, the puppy was nowhere to be found. Tommy struggled into his wellies and raincoat and set out in the dark to find him. He shone his torch along the path and under the hedge and eventually saw the puppy huddled behind the dustbin. He bent down and called to him gently.

"Come on, little man. Time to come home. It's all right."

It does not say in the story whether Tommy was angry with the puppy or not, but there are clues to help us know how he was feeling.

Tommy said "It's all right", which tells us that he wasn't angry.

There another word in the story that shows us that Tommy wasn't acting in an angry way. Which one?

struggled

shone

eventually

gently

Jamila has been reading the story of Tommy and his puppy. She and her friend Jake disagree about what is most likely to happen next.

Jamila thinks that the puppy will run away again and Tommy will have to search a long time to find him.

Jake thinks that the puppy will attack the dog next door and get into trouble.

Thinking about the story so far, whose idea is more likely to be correct?

Jamila's idea is more likely to be correct.

Jake's idea is more likely to be correct.

Information books look very different from story books. They are a type of non-fiction book and we read them to find things out.

Look at the page below.

Beetles........... page 1

Butterflies...... page 3

Earthworms... page 5

Bees............... page 7

Dragonflies.... page 9

It is a page from an information book. What do we call this type of page?

title

contents

table

When you answer questions about what you have read, it is important to use the text (the writing) and not to base your answer on any pictures or photographs.

Here is another page from the same book.

Butterflies

A butterfly is an insect with two pairs of wings. The wings can be many different colours. Butterflies feed on nectar from flowers.

A butterfly lays its eggs on leaves. An egg turns into a caterpillar, and after a while the caterpillar turns into a chrysalis. Finally, an adult butterfly emerges from the chrysalis.

This is called the life cycle of the butterfly.

Some adult butterflies only live for about a week, but other types of butterfly can live for up to a year.

Now answer the following question.

What colour are the wings of butterflies?

orange and black

purple

many different colours

When we read information books we often come across words we don't know, just like when we read stories. To work out the meaning of the new word, think about the whole sentence and see what makes sense.

Look again at the part explaining the life cycle of a butterfly.

A butterfly lays its eggs on leaves. An egg turns into a caterpillar, and after a while the caterpillar turns into a chrysalis. Finally, an adult butterfly emerges from the chrysalis.

What does the word emerges mean?

dies

comes out

sleeps

eats

It is important to plan what we want to write before we begin.

When we write a story or retell an event, it can help to think about the following questions.

Who?

What?

When?

Where?

Why?

The person who wrote the sentences below has answered all the questions. Match up the questions and their answers.

Jacob went out on his bike on Saturday afternoon. He rode down to the park to meet his friends.

Column A

Column B

Who?
went out on his bike
What?
Saturday afternoon
When?
Jacob
Where?
to the park
Why?
to meet his friends

We write for many different reasons. Katie has made a list of all the different types of writing she did in the school holidays.

holiday postcards

thank you letter to Granny

diary

story about fairies to tell little sister

email to best friend about going to cinema

directions for Uncle Bob to find our house

All of the writing Katie did was non-fiction except one thing. Which type of writing was fiction?

holiday postcard

thank you letter

diary

story about fairies

email

directions

When we have finished writing it is important to check our work for mistakes.

This is the thank you letter Katie wrote to her Granny. Katie should have checked it before she sent it but she hasn't!

Dear Granny

Thank you very much for the skateboard it was my favourite present and I love the colour. I had a great time on my birthday three of my friends came to tea and we played on our skateboards outside mine was by far the best!

I hope you are well and I'm looking forward to coming to visit you next month.

lots of love

Katie

xxx

What is the main mistake she has made?

She hasn't checked her spellings.

She hasn't written in sentences with full stops and capital letters.

• Question 1

Sometimes the same group of letters can make different sounds. The letters ear can be pronounced in lots of different ways.

Read the list of words below and tick the one that rhymes with stair.

CORRECT ANSWER
bear
EDDIE SAYS
'Bear' rhymes with 'stair'. All the other words in the list rhyme with 'ear' (what you hear with!).
  • Question 2

When we read longer words it helps if we can spot parts that are similar to other words.

Look at the words in the list.

colourful

helpful

careful

truthful

They all end in the letters -ful, meaning 'full of'. If you come across another word ending in -ful, it probably means the same thing.

Read the words below and match them to their meanings. They all end with the letters -less, so think about what that might mean.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

careless
not taking care over something
harmless
not causing any hurt or harm
toothless
having no teeth
EDDIE SAYS
The letters -less on the end of a word usually mean that something is missing or just isn't there. If something is painless is causes no pain.
  • Question 3

When we read it usually helps to sound words out, but some words don't follow the rules and we just have to learn them.

The words in the list below can't be sounded out in the usual way. Read them carefully and match them to their meanings.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

money
what we use to pay for things
pretty
nice to look at
sugar
something sweet that is used in b...
EDDIE SAYS
'Money' sounds like 'munny'; 'pretty' sounds like 'pritty'; 'sugar' sounds like 'shugger'.
  • Question 4

When we read we often come across words that we don't understand. One way of working out the meaning is to think about the rest of the sentence or story and see what would make sense. Look at the following passage from a story about a boy and his puppy.

Tommy's new puppy hated thunderstorms. He was frightened of the loud noise and the flashing of the lightning. Whenever there was a storm Tommy would find him cowering under the stairs and shivering.

You might not know what the word cowering means, but think about what you have read about the puppy and choose the correct meaning from the list below.

CORRECT ANSWER
crouching down in a frightened way
EDDIE SAYS
We know that the puppy was frightened, so 'cowering' is likely to be something that he would do when he is frightened.
  • Question 5

Read some more of the story of Tommy and his puppy.

One night, after a particularly violent storm, the puppy was nowhere to be found. Tommy struggled into his wellies and raincoat and set out in the dark to find him. He shone his torch along the path and under the hedge and eventually saw the puppy huddled behind the dustbin. He bent down and called to him gently.

"Come on, little man. Time to come home. It's all right."

It does not say in the story whether Tommy was angry with the puppy or not, but there are clues to help us know how he was feeling.

Tommy said "It's all right", which tells us that he wasn't angry.

There another word in the story that shows us that Tommy wasn't acting in an angry way. Which one?

CORRECT ANSWER
gently
EDDIE SAYS
We can tell that Tommy is not angry because the story says that he called to him gently. If he was angry he would probably have shouted loudly.
  • Question 6

Jamila has been reading the story of Tommy and his puppy. She and her friend Jake disagree about what is most likely to happen next.

Jamila thinks that the puppy will run away again and Tommy will have to search a long time to find him.

Jake thinks that the puppy will attack the dog next door and get into trouble.

Thinking about the story so far, whose idea is more likely to be correct?

CORRECT ANSWER
Jamila's idea is more likely to be correct.
EDDIE SAYS
The story so far has been about the puppy being frightened, so he is not really likely to attack another animal. It is more likely that he will run away again.
  • Question 7

Information books look very different from story books. They are a type of non-fiction book and we read them to find things out.

Look at the page below.

Beetles........... page 1

Butterflies...... page 3

Earthworms... page 5

Bees............... page 7

Dragonflies.... page 9

It is a page from an information book. What do we call this type of page?

CORRECT ANSWER
contents
EDDIE SAYS
This is a contents page from a non-fiction book about insects. It tells us which page to read to find out about each different type of insect.
  • Question 8

When you answer questions about what you have read, it is important to use the text (the writing) and not to base your answer on any pictures or photographs.

Here is another page from the same book.

Butterflies

A butterfly is an insect with two pairs of wings. The wings can be many different colours. Butterflies feed on nectar from flowers.

Some adult butterflies only live for about a week, but other types of butterfly can live for up to a year.

Now answer the following question.

What colour are the wings of butterflies?

CORRECT ANSWER
many different colours
EDDIE SAYS
The butterflies in the pictures are orange, black and purple, but if you look at the text (the writing) you will find this sentence: The wings can be many different colours.
  • Question 9

When we read information books we often come across words we don't know, just like when we read stories. To work out the meaning of the new word, think about the whole sentence and see what makes sense.

Look again at the part explaining the life cycle of a butterfly.

What does the word emerges mean?

CORRECT ANSWER
comes out
EDDIE SAYS
The adult butterfly has been growing inside the chrysalis, so the word 'emerges' must mean 'comes out'.
  • Question 10

It is important to plan what we want to write before we begin.

When we write a story or retell an event, it can help to think about the following questions.

Who?

What?

When?

Where?

Why?

The person who wrote the sentences below has answered all the questions. Match up the questions and their answers.

Jacob went out on his bike on Saturday afternoon. He rode down to the park to meet his friends.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Who?
Jacob
What?
went out on his bike
When?
Saturday afternoon
Where?
to the park
Why?
to meet his friends
EDDIE SAYS
We don't have to answer all five questions each time we write, but if we think about the answers to some of them it can help us to get started.
  • Question 11

We write for many different reasons. Katie has made a list of all the different types of writing she did in the school holidays.

holiday postcards

thank you letter to Granny

diary

story about fairies to tell little sister

email to best friend about going to cinema

directions for Uncle Bob to find our house

All of the writing Katie did was non-fiction except one thing. Which type of writing was fiction?

CORRECT ANSWER
story about fairies
EDDIE SAYS
The story was made up, so it is fiction. Everything else contains facts or information, which is non-fiction.
  • Question 12

When we have finished writing it is important to check our work for mistakes.

This is the thank you letter Katie wrote to her Granny. Katie should have checked it before she sent it but she hasn't!

Dear Granny

Thank you very much for the skateboard it was my favourite present and I love the colour. I had a great time on my birthday three of my friends came to tea and we played on our skateboards outside mine was by far the best!

I hope you are well and I'm looking forward to coming to visit you next month.

lots of love

Katie

xxx

What is the main mistake she has made?

CORRECT ANSWER
She hasn't written in sentences with full stops and capital letters.
EDDIE SAYS
Katie's spelling is good, but a lot of her sentences run into each other without full stops and capital letters. Her first paragraph should read like this:
Thank you very much for the skateboard. It was my favourite present and I love the colour. I had a great time on my birthday. Three of my friends came to tea and we played on our skateboards outside. Mine was by far the best!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.