The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Write About Experiences

In this worksheet, students read samples of writing to help them describe their own experiences in an interesting way.

'Write About Experiences' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 1

Curriculum topic:  Writing: Composition

Curriculum subtopic:  Write About Experiences

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Can you write in an interesting way?

To make your writing interesting you need to describe, using exciting words.

Here are two writing exercises for you to try.

Read about Sam’s day out:

Last summer I went to the seaside with my grandma. We left home very early in the morning so there was lots of time to play on the beach. I built sand castles and paddled in the sea. After lunch we went to a fun fair and I had an ice cream.

Write about a place you have been to on a day out, for example: a funfair, a farm, a park, or the seaside. Who took you there? What did you do there?

Read about when Josef fell off his bike:

Josef was charging round and round the park on his bike. He was going much too fast. All of a sudden, he skidded on some gravel and the bike toppled over. Josef's leg was bleeding quite badly and he made a lot of noise! Dad put him in the car and drove to the hospital, with Josef yelling all the way.

A doctor looked at Josef's leg and said, "You haven't broken any bones but that's a deep cut.  We will have to use some special magic superglue, so it heals without a nasty scar."

A nurse cleaned Josef's leg. When it had stopped bleeding she used the special glue, then bandaged his leg. On the way home, Josef said, "I'm sorry I won't have a scar. I wanted to show it to all my friends."

Now write about a time when you hurt yourself quite badly. How did it happen? What did you do? Who came to the rescue?

• Question 1

Read about Sam’s day out:

Last summer I went to the seaside with my grandma. We left home very early in the morning so there was lots of time to play on the beach. I built sand castles and paddled in the sea. After lunch we went to a fun fair and I had an ice cream.

Write about a place you have been to on a day out, for example: a funfair, a farm, a park, or the seaside. Who took you there? What did you do there?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Students should write about their day with as much detail as possible. For example: what time they left their house, where they went, what they did in the morning, where they ate their lunch what they did in the afternoon etc...
  • Question 2

Read about when Josef fell off his bike:

Josef was charging round and round the park on his bike. He was going much too fast. All of a sudden, he skidded on some gravel and the bike toppled over. Josef's leg was bleeding quite badly and he made a lot of noise! Dad put him in the car and drove to the hospital, with Josef yelling all the way.

A doctor looked at Josef's leg and said, "You haven't broken any bones but that's a deep cut.  We will have to use some special magic superglue, so it heals without a nasty scar."

A nurse cleaned Josef's leg. When it had stopped bleeding she used the special glue, then bandaged his leg. On the way home, Josef said, "I'm sorry I won't have a scar. I wanted to show it to all my friends."

Now write about a time when you hurt yourself quite badly. How did it happen? What did you do? Who came to the rescue?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Once again, the student should use as much detail as possible to describe the incident. They should identify what they were doing when they hurt themselves, how much it hurt, what they did to stop it from hurting - for example: did they go to hospital?
Preview ---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.