The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Consolidate Understanding of Apostrophes

In this worksheet, students revise the uses of the apostrophe in order to revise and improve their accuracy in punctuation and in their writing in general.

'Consolidate Understanding of Apostrophes' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

Curriculum topic:  Writing

Curriculum subtopic:  Use Accurate Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Button with an apostrophe on it

The apostrophe is used in two main ways.

The omission apostrophe

This usage shows that letters have been taken out of a word or phrase to shorten it. Omitting letters in this way is generally appropriate in informal writing or writing intended to be spoken aloud.

could not becomes couldn't
should have becomes should've
it has becomes it's
will not becomes won't

The apostrophe always goes where the letters have been taken out. It is worth noting that, in some cases, words can be shortened in irregular ways but an apostrophe should still be inserted. For example, will not becomes won't.

The possession apostrophe

An apostrophe can also be used to show that something belongs to or is connected with something else.

For example:

Sam's house
the dog's bone
the company's logo

The apostrophe is usually placed before the 's' when something is connected with one person (singular). However, if there were two dogs or more than one company (plural), the apostrophe would be placed after the 's'.

For example:

the dogs' bones
the companies' logos

For words which already end in the letter 's', it is technically correct to add an apostrophe and an extra 's'.

For example, Jones's Bakery or Thomas's car.

It's and Its:

Be careful with these two words as they can be confusing when it comes to apostrophes.

It's is a shortened version of it is.

Its is a possessive pronoun and does not have an apostrophe.

The owner took his dog for its walk.

What are the two functions of an apostrophe? Choose two of the options below.

to shorten a word or phrase

to show a pause in a sentence

to indicate possession or belonging

to signal that letters have been added

to emphasise a word in a sentence

Match the word with the correct description. Hover your mouse over the descriptions to see them in full.

Column A

Column B

its
indicates possession
it's
shortened version of 'it is'

Write out the whole of the following sentence and add in the missing apostrophe.

We werent allowed out after dark.

Remember to include all punctuation in your answer.

Tick the four correct contractions (shortened versions) of these phrases.

should have

is not

I will

have not

shoul'dve

should've

isn't

is'nt

I'll

'Ill

have'nt

haven't

Write out the whole of the following sentence and correct any apostrophe errors.

Im going over to Laurens' house.

Select the correct word to fill the gap in the phrase below, indicating that there is more than one girl (plural).

the ____ playroom

girl's

girls

girls'

girls's

Write out the whole of the sentence below, changing it to include an omission apostrophe.

I will not go to bed early.

Match the phrases with their contractions (shortened versions).

Column A

Column B

she would
they've
did not
didn't
who is
who's
they have
she'd

Write out the whole of the following sentence and correct any apostrophe errors.

Im going to James party tonight.

Write out the whole of the sentence below, shortening words and adding omission apostrophes as appropriate.

It is sad that they have decided to move away.

• Question 1

What are the two functions of an apostrophe? Choose two of the options below.

CORRECT ANSWER
to shorten a word or phrase
to indicate possession or belonging
EDDIE SAYS
The two functions of the apostrophe are to show letters have been missed out to shorten a word and to indicate something belongs to someone.
  • Question 2

Match the word with the correct description. Hover your mouse over the descriptions to see them in full.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

its
indicates possession
it's
shortened version of 'it is'
EDDIE SAYS
These words can cause confusion as apostrophes usually indicate possession or belonging, but the word 'its' is an exception to this rule.
  • Question 3

Write out the whole of the following sentence and add in the missing apostrophe.

We werent allowed out after dark.

CORRECT ANSWER
We weren't allowed out after dark.
EDDIE SAYS
Here, the words 'were not' have been shortened to 'weren't'. The apostrophe should be placed where the letter 'o' has been removed.
  • Question 4

Tick the four correct contractions (shortened versions) of these phrases.

should have

is not

I will

have not

CORRECT ANSWER
should've
isn't
I'll
haven't
EDDIE SAYS
The rule here is to remember that the apostrophe should be placed where the missing letters were.
  • Question 5

Im going over to Laurens' house.

CORRECT ANSWER
I'm going over to Lauren's house.
EDDIE SAYS
'I am' has been shortened to 'I'm' and therefore needs an apostrophe. The house belongs to Lauren which means that the apostrophe needs to be inserted before the letter 's'.
  • Question 6

Select the correct word to fill the gap in the phrase below, indicating that there is more than one girl (plural).

the ____ playroom

CORRECT ANSWER
girls'
EDDIE SAYS
The apostrophe should be placed after the letter 's' (girls') because the playroom belongs to more than one girl.
  • Question 7

Write out the whole of the sentence below, changing it to include an omission apostrophe.

I will not go to bed early.

CORRECT ANSWER
I won't go to bed early.
EDDIE SAYS
The words 'will not' are shortened in an irregular way to 'won't'.
  • Question 8

Match the phrases with their contractions (shortened versions).

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

she would
she'd
did not
didn't
who is
who's
they have
they've
EDDIE SAYS
The apostrophe is always placed where a letter or letters have been removed. Follow this rule so you don't get confused about where it should go.
  • Question 9

Im going to James party tonight.

CORRECT ANSWER
I'm going to James's party tonight.
I'm going to James' party tonight.
EDDIE SAYS
'Im' should be changed to 'I'm' as it is a contraction of 'I am'. 'James' needs to be altered to 'James's' as it is his party and his name ends in the letter 's'. But it is also accepted to write 'James'' without an extra s.
  • Question 10

Write out the whole of the sentence below, shortening words and adding omission apostrophes as appropriate.

It is sad that they have decided to move away.

CORRECT ANSWER
It's sad that they've decided to move away.
EDDIE SAYS
'It is' can be shortened to 'it's' and 'they have' can be shortened to 'they've'.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.