The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Check Your Writing Skills 1

In this worksheet, students remind themselves of all the skills they need in a piece of writing that they produce for an examination.

'Check Your Writing Skills 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

Curriculum topic:  Writing

Curriculum subtopic:  Be Aware of Audience/Purpose/Context in Own Writing

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

When you are assessed for your writing skills, examiners will look at both your communication and your technical ability.

This worksheet focusses on your communication skills. It tests your ability to write for the purpose and audience in a task, to use appropriate devices effectively, to engage your reader and to use appropriate vocabulary.

If you do these things effectively, you will do well in this part of your exams.

Read this student's opening sentence. Which mark would you give him/her?

Everyone knows that, even if you're good at maths, you're not necessarily good at English.

A: Range of impressive vocabulary choices

B: Clear vocabulary, used successfully

C: Sometimes slips into informal language

Read this student's opening sentence. What mark would you give him/her?

Whilst I agree with the argument that all human beings are equal, I personally believe that it is the duty of adults in society to sacrifice in order to fully meet the needs of children, even if those children are not known to them. 

C: Sometimes slips into informal language

High text density means a text with lots of writing in it and few pictures. Low text density means lots of images (or one large image) and less writing.

Which of the following types of text would you associate with high text density and which with low text density? 

High text density Low text density
explain
describe

Match up these examples with the correct literary device.

Column A

Column B

Simile
why should we?
Metaphor
a whirlwind of a girl.
Alliteration
as tall as a giraffe.
Personification
the angry thunder roared.
Personal pronoun
the perfect present.
Rule of three
louder, fiercer and more violent than before!

Read this sentence and choose one of the connectives below to fill in the blank space.

I can see your points regarding cost. ______________, I believe that the children should still be allowed to go on the trip.

Despite

However

Alternatively

Read this sentence and choose one of the connectives below to fill in the blank space.

John is excellent at Maths and Science, ______________ Alice is more 'sporty', I think.

whereas

therefore

consequently

Read this task and answer:

Task: Persuade elderly people in your area to keep using their recycling bins.

Answer: There is too much general waste at the moment. Instead of putting your rubbish in the general waste bin, you could: -Recycle it using a green or brown bin, -Give some nicer items away to people who might need them, -donate to a charity shop.

This student has lost marks here. Why?

Has he/she failed to write for the right purpose, or failed to write for the right audience?

Write purpose or audience in the box below.

Task: Describe a day at the beach.

Answer: There are several things you can do at the beach. Firstly, you could have a paddle in the sea. Secondly, you could eat an ice cream or fish and chips.

Has he/she failed to write for the right purpose, or failed to write for the right audience?

Task: Create a leaflet for 5 year old children informing them about the benefits of eating fruit and vegetables.

Answer: Have you ever heard the phrase 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'? Well now you can learn why: Fruit and vegetables are healthy and keep your body in good working order, protecting you from getting cancer and other illnesses.

Task: Write an article explaining a hobby which you do regularly.

Answer: I love my dogs. I've got two and they have really different personalities. Princess is a pit bull and she wears a diamonte collar. Snuffles is a doberman and he sleeps on my bed.

• Question 1

Read this student's opening sentence. Which mark would you give him/her?

Everyone knows that, even if you're good at maths, you're not necessarily good at English.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Although technically the use of the contraction 'you're' could be classed as informal language, the rest of the word choices are appropriate and clear.
  • Question 2

Read this student's opening sentence. What mark would you give him/her?

Whilst I agree with the argument that all human beings are equal, I personally believe that it is the duty of adults in society to sacrifice in order to fully meet the needs of children, even if those children are not known to them. 

CORRECT ANSWER
  • Question 3

High text density means a text with lots of writing in it and few pictures. Low text density means lots of images (or one large image) and less writing.

Which of the following types of text would you associate with high text density and which with low text density? 

CORRECT ANSWER
 High text density Low text density
explain
describe
EDDIE SAYS
Descriptive pieces often need more text to fully describe and create a visual image for the reader.
Explanative texts often contain bullet or numbered points as well as images, to effectively explain to the reader.
  • Question 4

Match up these examples with the correct literary device.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Simile
as tall as a giraffe.
Metaphor
a whirlwind of a girl.
Alliteration
the perfect present.
Personification
the angry thunder roared.
Personal pronoun
why should we?
Rule of three
louder, fiercer and more violent ...
  • Question 5

I can see your points regarding cost. ______________, I believe that the children should still be allowed to go on the trip.

CORRECT ANSWER
However
  • Question 6

John is excellent at Maths and Science, ______________ Alice is more 'sporty', I think.

CORRECT ANSWER
whereas
  • Question 7

Task: Persuade elderly people in your area to keep using their recycling bins.

Answer: There is too much general waste at the moment. Instead of putting your rubbish in the general waste bin, you could: -Recycle it using a green or brown bin, -Give some nicer items away to people who might need them, -donate to a charity shop.

CORRECT ANSWER
purpose
  • Question 8

Task: Describe a day at the beach.

Answer: There are several things you can do at the beach. Firstly, you could have a paddle in the sea. Secondly, you could eat an ice cream or fish and chips.

CORRECT ANSWER
purpose
  • Question 9

Task: Create a leaflet for 5 year old children informing them about the benefits of eating fruit and vegetables.

Answer: Have you ever heard the phrase 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away'? Well now you can learn why: Fruit and vegetables are healthy and keep your body in good working order, protecting you from getting cancer and other illnesses.

CORRECT ANSWER
audience
  • Question 10

Task: Write an article explaining a hobby which you do regularly.

Answer: I love my dogs. I've got two and they have really different personalities. Princess is a pit bull and she wears a diamonte collar. Snuffles is a doberman and he sleeps on my bed.

CORRECT ANSWER
purpose
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1