The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Check Your Writing Skills 2

In this worksheet, students consider all the writing skills they could use to impress an examiner.

'Check Your Writing Skills 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

Curriculum topic:  Writing

Curriculum subtopic:  Be Aware of Audience/Purpose/Context in Own Writing

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

When you are assessed for your writing skills, examiners will look at both your communication and your technical ability.

This worksheet focusses on your communication skills: that you write for the purpose and audience in a task, that you use appropriate devices effectively, that you engage your reader and use appropriate vocabulary. If you do these things effectively, you will do well in this part of your exams.

Read this student's closing sentence. Which mark would you give him/her?

Overall, I just want to say that I hope I get the job coz I would be very good at it. 

A: Range of impressive vocabulary choices

B: Clear vocabulary, used successfully

C: Sometimes slips into informal language

To conclude, I hope you will consider my application as I believe, from the specification given, that I have all the skills necessary for this post.

B: Clear vocabulary, used successfully

High text density means a text with lots of writing in it and few pictures. Low text desity means lots of images (or one large image) and less writing.

Which of the following types of text would you associate with high text density and which with low text density?

High text density Low text density
analyse
inform

Match up these examples with the literary devices. Hover your mouse over the examples to read them in full.

Column A

Column B

Simile
We cannot wait that long!
Metaphor
Are you serious?
Alliteration
A dragon of a teacher.
Rule of three
She sneezes like a horse!
Rhetorical question
Up, down, all around.
Personal pronouns
A canine catastrophe!

Read this sentence. Choose one of the connectives below to fill in the blank space.

Root vegetables stay where you plant them. _______________, strawberries spread all over the place.

On the contrary

Especially

Although

Read this sentence. Choose one of the connectives below to fill in the blank space.

All of the girls on the bus were naughty. _______________, one called Jemima Banes.

Unless

Hence

In particular

Read this task and a student's answer:

Task: You have been stranded on a desert island. Describe your surroundings.

Answer: I know it will cost a lot of money to come and rescue me, with boats, planes, etc. but you really must come! I have a lot to offer the world: Firstly, I am really clever; I got 100% in a spelling test last week.

This student has lost marks here. Why?

Have they not written for the right purpose, or not written for the right audience?

Write purpose or audience in the box below.

Task: Your parents have decided that they are getting rid of the dishwasher and from now on you will have to wash up after dinner each night. Write them an email to persuade them that this is a bad idea.

Answer: Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been informed that I will be henceforth responsible for dishwashing. This is inappropriate in three main ways...

Have they not written for the right purpose, or not written for the right audience?

Task: Write the text for a poster to be put up in the library, advising people on how to best use the facilities there.

Answer: When I first walked into the musty room, the smell of old books assaulted my nostrils.

Read this task and a student's  answer:

Task: Write an article to argue whether or not the local hospital should close down.

Answer: In some countries, people do not have hospitals nearby. They have to walk miles in the hot sun to get any medical help. There are charities which can help in these rural, poor areas.

• Question 1

Overall, I just want to say that I hope I get the job coz I would be very good at it. 

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The use of "coz" is extremely colloquial and informal. The entire sentence is very informal - the student should have used more formal language and possibly given an example of why they think they would be right for the job.
  • Question 2

To conclude, I hope you will consider my application as I believe, from the specification given, that I have all the skills necessary for this post.

CORRECT ANSWER
  • Question 3

High text density means a text with lots of writing in it and few pictures. Low text desity means lots of images (or one large image) and less writing.

Which of the following types of text would you associate with high text density and which with low text density?

CORRECT ANSWER
 High text density Low text density
analyse
inform
EDDIE SAYS
Writing that analyses often has a lot of text, to add detail to the analysis.
Informative writing often has images and, in general, contains less text.
  • Question 4

Match up these examples with the literary devices. Hover your mouse over the examples to read them in full.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Simile
She sneezes like a horse!
Metaphor
A dragon of a teacher.
Alliteration
A canine catastrophe!
Rule of three
Up, down, all around.
Rhetorical question
Are you serious?
Personal pronouns
We cannot wait that long!
  • Question 5

Root vegetables stay where you plant them. _______________, strawberries spread all over the place.

CORRECT ANSWER
On the contrary
  • Question 6

All of the girls on the bus were naughty. _______________, one called Jemima Banes.

CORRECT ANSWER
In particular
  • Question 7

Task: You have been stranded on a desert island. Describe your surroundings.

Answer: I know it will cost a lot of money to come and rescue me, with boats, planes, etc. but you really must come! I have a lot to offer the world: Firstly, I am really clever; I got 100% in a spelling test last week.

CORRECT ANSWER
purpose
EDDIE SAYS
This student is not writing to describe, they are writing to persuade someone to come and rescue them.
  • Question 8

Task: Your parents have decided that they are getting rid of the dishwasher and from now on you will have to wash up after dinner each night. Write them an email to persuade them that this is a bad idea.

Answer: Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been informed that I will be henceforth responsible for dishwashing. This is inappropriate in three main ways...

CORRECT ANSWER
audience
EDDIE SAYS
The student has written a very formal email in a register you might use for someone you don't know. This is not appropriate for family members.
  • Question 9

Task: Write the text for a poster to be put up in the library, advising people on how to best use the facilities there.

Answer: When I first walked into the musty room, the smell of old books assaulted my nostrils.

CORRECT ANSWER
purpose
EDDIE SAYS
This answer portrays the library in a negative way, which will discourage the reader from going there.
  • Question 10

Read this task and a student's  answer:

Task: Write an article to argue whether or not the local hospital should close down.

Answer: In some countries, people do not have hospitals nearby. They have to walk miles in the hot sun to get any medical help. There are charities which can help in these rural, poor areas.

CORRECT ANSWER
purpose
EDDIE SAYS
This student is not talking about the hospital in question and giving reasons why it should not close down. They are talking about why people in other countries need hospitals.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1