The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Revise the Function of Verbs and Adverbs

In this worksheet, students explore the functions of verbs and adverbs in order to improve understanding in their reading and accuracy in their writing.

Key stage:  KS 4

Curriculum topic:  Writing

Curriculum subtopic:  Use Accurate Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling

Difficulty level:  

NEW! Try our assessments with your £1 trial
down

Here's a preview of the tutorial worksheet your child will complete. Sign up to EdPlace and access 1000s of worksheets that are marked automatically. With an account you can track progress and measure results.

QUESTION 1 of 10

Verbs are a large class of words that express actions, change and states of being.

Some examples are: write, eat, fly, lie, go, put, are, look and work.

Without verbs it would be impossible to describe anything that happens. Verbs have many sub-classes and it can be very complicated to get your head around all the types. This worksheet will focus on the main things to understand which can help to improve the accuracy of your writing.

Regular Verbs

These are one of the less troublesome verb types. They follow rules when forming different tenses, such as adding -ed to form the past tense.

For example: walk - walked; jump - jumped; shuffle - shuffled.

Irregular Verbs

This type of verb breaks the rules outlined above and has different forms for the past tense. The forms need to be learnt as they don't follow the same pattern as each other.

For example:

Present Tense Verb

Past Tense Verb

swim

I have swum/I swam

drive

I have driven/I drove

drink

I have drunk/I drank

think

I have thought/I thought

forget

I have forgotten/I forgot

Imperative Verbs

Verbs that express direct commands or sound bossy are called imperatives. They are most effective when placed at the start of a sentence and can be used in persuasive or instructive writing.

For example: 'Put the eggs into the bowl' or 'Come to the Zoo today!'

Modal Auxiliary Verbs

These are 'helping' verbs in the sense that they are used alongside main verbs to express different aspects of time and mood. The main ones to use are: will, shall, may, might, can, could, must, ought to, should and would. These can help to create an effective piece of writing giving instructions or advice.

For example: 'You must meet me at 10pm tonight' or 'You should move on with your life'.

Adverbs

Adverbs are a large class of words which can modify or add further detail to a verb, adjective or other adverb.

An adverb can be placed directly after a verb in a sentence. For example: Doreen ran quickly but she hopped slowly. In this sentence the adverbs add description and detail to the verbs.

In some circumstances, an adverb can be placed a few words after the verb in a sentence. For example: Michael played his flute confidently.

There are also some occasions where an adverb can be placed before a verb in a sentence. For example: Simon quickly finished his dinner.

In addition to modifying verbs, adverbs can also be placed before adjectives to add further detail. For example: Flo gave an exceptionally impressive performance at the concert.

Their last function is to modify other adverbsFor example: She very carefully carried the baby upstairs. In this sentence, the first of the two adverbs ('very') intensifies the second adverb that follows ('carefully').

What is the function of a verb? Choose from the options below.

to describe nouns

to express actions

to name objects

to join parts of a sentence together

Identify which of the words listed below are verbs.

crawl

go

give

guitar

put

loud

Choose the regular past tense forms from the following words. Tick as many answers as you think are correct.

laughed

hopped

drank

swam

slept

Which of the following are irregular past tense verbs? Tick as many answers as you think are correct.

brought

sang

played

added

ate

Identify the modal auxiliary verb in this sentence:

You could try out a new hobby, such as tennis.

What role does an imperative verb have?

it describes a noun

it helps the verb

it expresses direct commands

it describes an adjective

Identify the imperative verb in the following sentence:

Book your tickets now!

What kind of words can adverbs modify or add detail to? Tick all the boxes that apply.

verbs

adjectives

nouns

other adverbs

Identify the verb and adverb in the sentence below.

Diana danced gracefully around the floor.

Column A

Column B

verb
danced
adverb
gracefully

Identify the two adverbs in the following sentence.

Andrew plays the guitar very well.

plays

guitar

very

well

• Question 1

What is the function of a verb? Choose from the options below.

CORRECT ANSWER
to express actions
EDDIE SAYS
Verbs are 'action' words and can express states of being.
  • Question 2

Identify which of the words listed below are verbs.

CORRECT ANSWER
crawl
go
give
put
EDDIE SAYS
The verbs are the words that express actions.
  • Question 3

Choose the regular past tense forms from the following words. Tick as many answers as you think are correct.

CORRECT ANSWER
laughed
hopped
EDDIE SAYS
To change a regular verb to the past tense, you should add 'ed'. You may need to double the final letter first if the verb has a short vowel sound.
  • Question 4

Which of the following are irregular past tense verbs? Tick as many answers as you think are correct.

CORRECT ANSWER
brought
sang
ate
EDDIE SAYS
'Played' and 'added' are regular past tenses with -ed.
  • Question 5

Identify the modal auxiliary verb in this sentence:

You could try out a new hobby, such as tennis.

CORRECT ANSWER
could
EDDIE SAYS
A modal 'helping' verb is placed alongside the main verb 'try' to add a mood of encouragement to the sentence.
  • Question 6

What role does an imperative verb have?

CORRECT ANSWER
it expresses direct commands
EDDIE SAYS
An imperative verb is sometimes known as a 'bossy' verb as it is the form used to give orders.
  • Question 7

Identify the imperative verb in the following sentence:

Book your tickets now!

CORRECT ANSWER
Book
EDDIE SAYS
An imperative verb is most effective when placed at the beginning of a sentence.
  • Question 8

What kind of words can adverbs modify or add detail to? Tick all the boxes that apply.

CORRECT ANSWER
verbs
adjectives
other adverbs
EDDIE SAYS
An adverb can add detail and description in three different ways.
  • Question 9

Identify the verb and adverb in the sentence below.

Diana danced gracefully around the floor.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

verb
danced
adverb
gracefully
EDDIE SAYS
In this example, the adverb is directly after the verb.
  • Question 10

Identify the two adverbs in the following sentence.

Andrew plays the guitar very well.

CORRECT ANSWER
very
well
EDDIE SAYS
The adverb 'well' describes the verb 'plays', and the adverb 'very' adds intensity to the adverb 'well'.
Previous Next

Easy As 1-2-3

Have fun learning at home on our desktop website or on-the go with our app

Start your £1 trial today.

Terms apply