The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Use Pronouns Correctly 2

In this worksheet, students practise using pronouns and ensuring that their meaning is clear.

'Use Pronouns Correctly 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  English

Curriculum subtopic:  Grammar: Pronouns, Prepositions & Conjunctions

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

A pronoun is a word that is used in place of a noun.

Josie is my sister. She is kind.

In this example the pronoun she is used instead of repeating the noun Josie.

A pronoun can also be used instead of a noun phrase.

I like cats with stripes. I think they are pretty.

In this example the pronoun they is used instead of repeating the noun phrase cats with stripes.

When using pronouns instead of nouns it is important to make it clear who or what the pronoun is referring to, otherwise the sentence will be confusing.

Sid and Sam are friends. He gave him a CD for his birthday.

In this example we don't know whether Sid gave the CD to Sam or the other way round, so it would be better to repeat their names.

Sid and Sam are friends. Sid gave Sam a CD for his birthday.

The pronoun 'his' could still refer to either Sid or Sam, but it is usual to receive presents on your birthday and not give them, so we can assume that it is Sam's birthday, not Sid's!

The second of these sentences has been rewritten in two different ways. Which one makes the meaning clear?

Millie and Mina are friends. Millie's mum took Millie and Mina to the cinema.

Her mum took them to the cinema.

Millie's mum took them to the cinema.

The second of these sentences has been rewritten in two different ways. Which one makes the meaning clear?

Joe and Matt went for a walk with their dogs, Rufus and Spot. Rufus and Spot disappeared down a rabbit hole.

The dogs disappeared down a rabbit hole.

They disappeared down a rabbit hole.

My brothers are called Liam, Josh, Callum and George. All my brothers like cricket except Josh.

All of them like cricket except him.

All of them like cricket except Josh.

Which word would complete the sentence in the best way?

My dog is called Pippa. She loves chewing at ________ bone.

her

Pippa's

London and Paris are both huge cities but ________ is bigger than Paris.

it

London

Which word (or words) would complete the sentence in the best way?

The first person to walk on the moon was Neil Armstrong. ________ was an American.

Neil Armstrong

He

"You must finish ________ dinner before you leave the table," said Nan to Matthew.

Matthew's

your

I like watching motor bike racers but I don't like it when ________ fall off their bikes.

they

racers

One sentence in the following passage contains a pronoun that has been used wrongly. Write the sentence out again in the answer box, putting the correct pronoun in place of the wrong one.

It was late. Karl and Imran knew they would be in trouble. They ran along the road, not even pausing to speak to each other in their hurry to get back in time. Suddenly Karl stopped and looked behind him. They saw a shadow creeping along the wall.

One sentence in the following passage contains a pronoun that has been used wrongly. Write the sentence out again in the answer box, putting the correct pronoun in place of the wrong one.

The day was warm and sunny, with fluffy clouds drifting aimlessly across the sky. The sheep were munching contently at the grass and the old sheepdog Tess dozed in the sun, her paws twitching as she dreamt of chasing rabbits. The faint hum of the tractor could be heard in a distant field. Suddenly the peace was shattered by a deafening crash. Tess leapt up with a volley of barks and bared its teeth.

• Question 1

Millie and Mina are friends. Millie's mum took Millie and Mina to the cinema.

CORRECT ANSWER
Millie\'s mum took them to the cinema.
EDDIE SAYS
If we write \'her mum\' we don\'t know if it is Millie\'s mum or Mina\'s mum, so we need to repeat the word \'Millie\' to make it clear.
  • Question 2

Joe and Matt went for a walk with their dogs, Rufus and Spot. Rufus and Spot disappeared down a rabbit hole.

CORRECT ANSWER
The dogs disappeared down a rabbit hole.
EDDIE SAYS
Although it is likely to be the dogs disappearing down the hole, the word \'they\' could refer to the boys or even all four or them.
  • Question 3

My brothers are called Liam, Josh, Callum and George. All my brothers like cricket except Josh.

CORRECT ANSWER
All of them like cricket except Josh.
EDDIE SAYS
If we use the pronoun \'him\' we don\'t know which brother we are talking about.
  • Question 4

My dog is called Pippa. She loves chewing at ________ bone.

CORRECT ANSWER
her
EDDIE SAYS
The pronoun \'her\' can only be referring to Pippa, so there is no need to repeat the word \'Pippa\'.
  • Question 5

London and Paris are both huge cities but ________ is bigger than Paris.

CORRECT ANSWER
London
EDDIE SAYS
Because the first part of the sentence refers to two places we can\'t use the pronoun \'it\' here.
  • Question 6

Which word (or words) would complete the sentence in the best way?

The first person to walk on the moon was Neil Armstrong. ________ was an American.

CORRECT ANSWER
He
EDDIE SAYS
The only person mentioned is Neil Armstrong, so if we use \'he\' it is clear who we are referring to.
  • Question 7

"You must finish ________ dinner before you leave the table," said Nan to Matthew.

CORRECT ANSWER
your
EDDIE SAYS
Nan is talking to Matthew so she would use the pronoun \'your\'.
  • Question 8

I like watching motor bike racers but I don't like it when ________ fall off their bikes.

CORRECT ANSWER
they
EDDIE SAYS
It is clear that \'they\' is referring to the racers so we don\'t need to repeat the word \'racers\'.
  • Question 9

It was late. Karl and Imran knew they would be in trouble. They ran along the road, not even pausing to speak to each other in their hurry to get back in time. Suddenly Karl stopped and looked behind him. They saw a shadow creeping along the wall.

CORRECT ANSWER
He saw a shadow creeping along the wall.
EDDIE SAYS
Only Karl stopped and turned round, so he would have seen the shadow but Imran wouldn\'t.
  • Question 10

The day was warm and sunny, with fluffy clouds drifting aimlessly across the sky. The sheep were munching contently at the grass and the old sheepdog Tess dozed in the sun, her paws twitching as she dreamt of chasing rabbits. The faint hum of the tractor could be heard in a distant field. Suddenly the peace was shattered by a deafening crash. Tess leapt up with a volley of barks and bared its teeth.

CORRECT ANSWER
Tess leapt up with a volley of barks and bared her teeth.
EDDIE SAYS
We know that Tess is female because the passage refers to \\\'her paws\\\' so we should use the pronoun \\\'her\\\' not \\\'its.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.