The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Jumbled Sentences Practice 2

In this this practice exercise, students will rearrange the words in a jumbled sentence and identify an extra word within timed conditions.

'Jumbled Sentences Practice 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Exam-Style Questions: Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Exam-Style Questions: Jumbled Sentences

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

The following activity is a practice exercise to help you measure your success under timed conditions.

If you are unsure of an answer, move on to the next question.

You should come back to questions you found difficult at the end if you have time.

Let’s try one together as a reminder:

Look at the jumbled sentence below:

purrs my fur nose when I cat stroke silky her loudly

Can you work out how to un-jumble the words so that the sentence makes sense and identify the extra word?

First, we need to see if we can group any of the words together.

We can see that my cat and her silky fur go together.

Next, we need to look for any verbs and match them with their subjects.

The verbs in the sentence are: purrs and stroke.

Can you match these with the subjects which are: my cat and I?

Did you get my cat purrs and I stroke?

Let’s put that together and this gives us:

My cat purrs when I stroke her silky fur.

The extra word here must be nose, as we cannot include it in this sentence in any way which makes sense.

Now it's time to begin this practice exercise.

Look at this sentence:

preparing customers four the for chef meals restaurant enjoyed really in the his

It doesn't make sense because the words have been jumbled up.

Write the sentence with the words in their correct places so you can identify the extra word which is not required.

Chef

Meals

Four

Restaurant

For

Look at this sentence:

absolutely food basket for picnic wicker was the with the extremely brimming afternoon 

Write the sentence with the words in their correct places so you can identify the extra word which is not required.

Absolutely

Basket

Brimming

Extremely

Picnic

Look at this sentence:

have decide to potatoes gravy my I with roast can't simply whether not

I

Simply

Can't

Not

Decide

Look at this sentence:

hill, ascended eagerly the should kite fly could my that I so could

Hill

Fly

Could

Should

Eagerly

Look at this sentence:

trip to school wrote the his about factory Jenny biscuit her

Her

His

The

To

Wrote

Look at this sentence:

pencil be need all pencils the pot sharpened the in of the to

All

Of

To

The

Be

Look at this sentence:

species I many there world in wonder how birds the of are much

Much

Species

There

Are

Wonder

Look at this sentence:

robot constructing from cereal am out boxes I of items a other and 

Out

Of

Cereal

From

And

Look at this sentence:

collection off are two approximately types there of coins my in dozen

Of

Off

Two

In

My

Look at this sentence:

many saw I hanging delicious by on orchard the trees apples the in 

It doesn't make sense because the words have been jumbled up.

I

Many

On

By

In

• Question 1

Look at this sentence:

preparing customers four the for chef meals restaurant enjoyed really in the his

CORRECT ANSWER
Four
EDDIE SAYS
There's a lot of words to sort out here! Let's start by matching some obvious groups of words together. That gives us: the chef, in his restaurant, preparing meals and really enjoyed. The subject of the sentence is the chef and the verb that goes with the subject is enjoyed. So, it should be easier to put it all together now: The chef ...really enjoyed ....preparing meals....in his restaurant. Now you have to fit in the last three words 'for the customers' where they sound best and you've made your sentence! The chef really enjoyed preparing meals for the customers in his restaurant. So this makes four the extra word which is not required, as we cannot fit it into the sentence in any way which makes sense.
  • Question 2

Look at this sentence:

absolutely food basket for picnic wicker was the with the extremely brimming afternoon 

CORRECT ANSWER
Extremely
EDDIE SAYS
Once again, let's try matching up some obvious groups of words to see if it makes more sense: The adjective wicker has to go with the word basket. The noun food goes well with the words for the picnic. The subject of the sentence is the wicker basket so the sentence must start: The wicker basket was... And suddenly, your sentence begins to emerge! The adverb absolutely or extremely has to go with the verb phrase was brimming. Which sounds better? Absolutely brimming or extremely brimming? Finally, where shall we add afternoon? It can only go before the word picnic to make: The wicker basket was absolutely brimming with food for the afternoon picnic. So this makes extremely the extra word which is not required, as we need to use absolutely instead as it fits better grammatically.
  • Question 3

Look at this sentence:

have decide to potatoes gravy my I with roast can't simply whether not

CORRECT ANSWER
Not
EDDIE SAYS
You know what to do! Let's match some words up: roast potatoes, can't decide, whether to have. Were you tricked by the words have and decide next to each to other - did you think it might be have decided? You need to watch out for little traps like this that are trying to catch you out!
The subject of the sentence is I so you now get: I... can't decide... whether to have... You can try out the remaining words in different combinations until it sounds right and finally, add in the word simply where it fits best. There will often be a word that is left at the end which makes you have to really stop and think. Our final sentence should be: I simply can't decide whether to have gravy with my roast potatoes. We don't need to use not in this sentence as the contraction can't already contains the word not as it is built from can + not.
  • Question 4

Look at this sentence:

hill, ascended eagerly the should kite fly could my that I so could

CORRECT ANSWER
Should
EDDIE SAYS
This one looks different doesn't it - it contains a comma. That means that it has two clauses, so you have an extra challenge here! The comma must stay attached to the word it is linked to which, in this case, is hill. Let's sort those words out: The adverb eagerly will go with the verb ascended, and this will go with the hill. Another group of words will be fly my kite. The subject of the sentence is I and the conjunction joining the clauses is so. If we put all of these steps together, we reach: I eagerly ascended the hill, so that I could fly my kite. So this makes should the extra word which is not required, as we cannot fit it into the sentence in any way which makes sense.
  • Question 5

Look at this sentence:

trip to school wrote the his about factory Jenny biscuit her

CORRECT ANSWER
His
EDDIE SAYS
Which groups of words do we have here? Let's sort them out: school trip, biscuit factory and wrote about. The subject is Jenny and the only verb phrase is 'wrote about', so we now have the makings of our sentence: Jenny wrote about her school trip to the biscuit factory. Be careful of those possessive pronouns here! Jenny is a girl and the school trip belongs to HER, so that is the correct pronoun to use here, not HIS.
  • Question 6

Look at this sentence:

pencil be need all pencils the pot sharpened the in of the to

CORRECT ANSWER
The
EDDIE SAYS
A lot of repeated words here so we need to be careful! Let's try and group some together: pencil pot, all of the pencils, need to be. What do all the pencils need to be? That's right - sharpened! Have we sorted our sentence out now? All of the pencils need to be sharpened... But where can we include the words in the pencil pot? The only place where this phrase could go is in the middle of the sentence: All of the pencils in the pencil pot need to be sharpened. We had one too many the's here - did you spot that?
  • Question 7

Look at this sentence:

species I many there world in wonder how birds the of are much

CORRECT ANSWER
Much
EDDIE SAYS
Are you getting the hang of these now? Are there any obvious groups of words which belong together here? How about: species of birds, in the world and how many. The subject is I and the verb to go with the subject is wonder. So, we now have: I wonder... how many... species of birds... in the world. Where should we add the final two words there are? There's really only one place where they fit - after the word birds and before the phrase 'in the world' to make: I wonder how many species of birds there are in the world. Don't mix up much and many here. We use much when there is a single item we want to count or assess, whilst we use many with a plural. As 'birds' are plural, we need to use many, making much the odd word out.
  • Question 8

Look at this sentence:

robot constructing from cereal am out boxes I of items a other and 

CORRECT ANSWER
From
EDDIE SAYS
Let's get to work on those groups of words! We have: cereal boxes, other items, am constructing. The subject is I and the verb goes with the subject, so we now have: I am constructing... cereal boxes and other items. What are you constructing? A robot! I am constructing a robot out of cereal boxes and other items. We could build this sentence instead: I am constructing a robot FROM cereal boxes and other items. But we would need to remove two words (out and of) to do this, so it cannot be the correct version. Very sneaky!
  • Question 9

Look at this sentence:

collection off are two approximately types there of coins my in dozen

CORRECT ANSWER
Off
EDDIE SAYS
Let's start sorting! What groups can we make? Two dozen, there are, types of coins, my collection. So, we now have: There are... two dozen... types of coins... my collection. Just add the words in and approximately in the correct places and you're done! There are approximately two dozen types of coins in my collection. Watch out for the word off here - it was the extra word and was trying to tricky you by being so similar to of!
  • Question 10

Look at this sentence:

many saw I hanging delicious by on orchard the trees apples the in 

It doesn't make sense because the words have been jumbled up.

CORRECT ANSWER
By
EDDIE SAYS
This time, let's match up the subjects with their verbs: I with saw and apples with hanging. Other groups of words could be: in the orchard, on the trees and many delicious apples. Do these groupings give us our sentence? YES - I saw many delicious apples hanging on the trees in the orchard. So this makes by the extra word which is not required, as we cannot fit it into the sentence in any way which makes sense.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.