The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Identify Alphabetic Pattern to Crack Code

In this worksheet, students will turn words into code and turn coded words back into their original words. This will develop student's encoding and problem-solving skills.

'Identify Alphabetic Pattern to Crack Code' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:   Letter Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hey there, code cracker! Are you ready to get to the bottom of some codes? 

There are several different types of codes.

For example:

When you turn a word into a code, each letter can be represented by a different letter.

Below is the alphabet for you to use as a reference:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Let’s look at a question:

If the code for READ is SFBE, the code for DEAR is ____.

First, we need to use the alphabet line to see how the letters are changing.

If we look at how R becomes S, we can see that the letters are jumping one place forward in the alphabet. This same pattern applies for the other letters in the word READ.

If we apply the same rule to the word DEAR, we find that the coded version of the word is EFBS.

We could have also rearranged the letters of the word READ, as it contains the same letters as DEAR, or we can do this to check our answer.

Sometimes, we have to work backwards from a code to find the word it represents, for example:

If SRWEWRHV is the code for POTATOES, WESH is the code for ____.

All of the letters in the mystery word are in the first word, so we just need to work out what each letter stands for, using POTATOES as the example.

A raw potato

From POTATOES, we can see that the code letter W represents T (W = T).

E represents A in POTATOES (E = A).

S represents P (S = P).

H represents E (H = E).

If we apply these findings to WESH, we find that our mystery word is TAPE.

In this activity, you will be a code cracker and work out which code represents each word.

edplace 11+ detective

Pssst!!            

Here's a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:            

Remember to use the letters in the word that you have been given to help you find the mystery word.

Good luck, code cracker!

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

Use the alphabet to help you!

Welcome to this letter code breaking activity, code cracker! 

In this activity, you need to work out the code for yourself. But don't panic -- we will start with simple codes! Once you have mastered them, you can attempt more challenging codes in the following activities.

Girl giving thumbs up sign with both thumbs

Let's get going.

If the code for BETA is CFUB, then what is the code for BEAT?

CFBU

CUBF

CBFU

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

Ok, code cracker, let's have another go! Today, we're going to have a RACE!

A cartoon hare and tortoise ready to race one another

Do you remember the story of the race between the hare and the tortoise? The tortoise won, which no one thought was possible. It won because it went slow and steady and took its time to get things right.

That's exactly what I want you to do with letter code breaking! Slow and steady makes for a better code cracker!

If the code for RACE is QZBD, then what is the code for CAR?

QZB

BQZ

BZQ

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

Ok, code cracker, let's keep pressing on! You are doing brilliantly so far, and I know you can master this skill. You've got this!

Child flexing arms to show muscles

OK, so if the code for MACE is NBDF, what is the code for CAME?

NBDF

DBNF

FNDB

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

Brilliant stuff, code cracker! I hope you are feeling nice and ALERT for this next code cracking question!

If the code for ALTER is ZKSDQ, what is the code for ALERT?

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

I think you are making great progress with this, code cracker. Well done! Now let's stay focused right until the end.

If the code for ALERT is CNGTV, then what is the code for LATER?

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

You are more than half way now, code cracker. That's amazing! You should feel really proud of yourself!

If the code for NAME is LYKC, what is the code for MEAN?

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

How are you getting on, code cracker? Remember to go through the explanations carefully. I'm here to help!

Doesn't this horse have a beautiful MANE?

If the code for MANE is KYLC, what is the code for AMEN?

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

Only three questions to go, code cracker. Your focus up to this point has been brilliant.. last push.

Now we are going to think about angles and angels...

If the code for ANGLE is BOHMF, then what is the code for ANGEL?

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

We are on the penultimate question, code cracker. Keep the energy going right through to the end!

Meet Sally the Seal...

If the code for SALE is UCNG, what is the code for SEAL?

A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

You made it, code cracker! We are on the last question! Wahoo!

I hope you feel you have LEARNT something!

So, if the code for RENTAL is QDMSZK, then what is the code for LEARNT?

• Question 1
A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

Welcome to this letter code breaking activity, code cracker! 

In this activity, you need to work out the code for yourself. But don't panic -- we will start with simple codes! Once you have mastered them, you can attempt more challenging codes in the following activities.

Girl giving thumbs up sign with both thumbs

Let's get going.

If the code for BETA is CFUB, then what is the code for BEAT?

CORRECT ANSWER
CFBU
EDDIE SAYS
Let's take our time to work this out. All of the letters in BEAT can be found in the word BETA, so we know that we have everything we need! Looking at the code, we know the following: B = C E = F T = U A = B Can you work out the code? If B = C, E = F and so on, we can see that the letters are jumping one place forward in the alphabet. So we apply the same pattern to the word BEAT. If we do, we see that: B = C E = F A = B T = U This means that the code for BEAT must be CFBU!
  • Question 2
A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

Ok, code cracker, let's have another go! Today, we're going to have a RACE!

A cartoon hare and tortoise ready to race one another

Do you remember the story of the race between the hare and the tortoise? The tortoise won, which no one thought was possible. It won because it went slow and steady and took its time to get things right.

That's exactly what I want you to do with letter code breaking! Slow and steady makes for a better code cracker!

If the code for RACE is QZBD, then what is the code for CAR?

CORRECT ANSWER
BZQ
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on with this one, code cracker? I hope the fact that we are using short words in helpful for you. Remember: you are still getting used to mastering this skill! Did you work out the code here? We know that the code for RACE is QZBD. If R = Q, A = Z and so on, we can work out that the letters are jumping one place backwards in the alphabet each time. Now, we need to apply that same pattern to work out the code for CAR. So, we see that: C = B A = Z R = Q Which means that the code for CAR is BZQ! Read the explanation again if you are still not sure how we got the answer. There's no rush!
  • Question 3
A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

Ok, code cracker, let's keep pressing on! You are doing brilliantly so far, and I know you can master this skill. You've got this!

Child flexing arms to show muscles

OK, so if the code for MACE is NBDF, what is the code for CAME?

CORRECT ANSWER
DBNF
EDDIE SAYS
Do you know what a MACE is, code cracker? It was a spiky club which was used in war in the medieval times ... ouch! I hope this code cracking business is becoming a bit clearer to you now. Let's have a go at this question together. We know from the code that we have been given that M = N, A = B, C = D and E = F. Can you spot the pattern? The letters jump forward one place in the alphabet each time. So, to get to the code word for CAME, we need to do the same thing: C = D A = B M = N E = F Which means that the code for CAME is DBNF! Psst! Here's a handy hint with these questions: when the words contain exactly the same letters (as MACE and CAME do), we can check that we have got each code letter correct by looking back at the code that was given for the first word!
  • Question 4
A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

Brilliant stuff, code cracker! I hope you are feeling nice and ALERT for this next code cracking question!

If the code for ALTER is ZKSDQ, what is the code for ALERT?

CORRECT ANSWER
ZKDQS
EDDIE SAYS
How ALERT are you feeling, code cracker? I hope you are still with me. We've still got some work to do! As ever, the first thing we need to do is work out how the code is made. If A = Z, L = K and so on, we can deduce that each letter is jumping one place backwards in the alphabet to get to each code letter! Let's apply this to the word ALERT: A = Z L = K E = D R = Q T = S Did you work out that the code is ZKDQS? Remember to use the handy hint I gave you in the last explanation to check your work!
  • Question 5
A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

I think you are making great progress with this, code cracker. Well done! Now let's stay focused right until the end.

If the code for ALERT is CNGTV, then what is the code for LATER?

CORRECT ANSWER
NCVGT
EDDIE SAYS
I hope you're confidence is growing, code cracker. You're doing brilliantly! Remember you can use the handy hint for this question, too, as ALERT and LATER contain all the same letters! If the code for ALERT is CNGTV, can you spot the pattern? Each letter is jumping two places forward in the alphabet! Make sure you use the alphabet provided to help you count forward here, code cracker! If you do that, you can work out the code for LATER: L = N A = C T = V E = G R = T So we get the code NCVGT as the code for LATER!
  • Question 6
A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

You are more than half way now, code cracker. That's amazing! You should feel really proud of yourself!

If the code for NAME is LYKC, what is the code for MEAN?

CORRECT ANSWER
KCYL
EDDIE SAYS
Remember: slow and steady wins the race, code cracker! I hope you are taking your time and writing these words and codes out to help you if needed. Better to master the skill now than rush through it all and not have a full understanding of these kinds of questions. Did you manage to work out how the code is made? Looking at the code word, we know that N = L, A = Y and so on. This means that each letter is jumping two places backwards in the alphabet. So, we just need to apply this to the word MEAN: M = K E = C A = Y N = L This means that the code for MEAN is KCYL!
  • Question 7
A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

How are you getting on, code cracker? Remember to go through the explanations carefully. I'm here to help!

Doesn't this horse have a beautiful MANE?

If the code for MANE is KYLC, what is the code for AMEN?

CORRECT ANSWER
YKCL
EDDIE SAYS
I think you are becoming a code cracking superstar! Keep up the fantastic detective work. The pattern here should be a nice straightforward one for you to spot, code cracker! If we know that in the word MANE, M = K and A = Y, etc, we can work out that each letter is jumping two places backwards in the alphabet. Let's apply this to the word AMEN: A = Y M = K E = C N = L Meaning that the code is YKCL!
  • Question 8
A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

Only three questions to go, code cracker. Your focus up to this point has been brilliant.. last push.

Now we are going to think about angles and angels...

If the code for ANGLE is BOHMF, then what is the code for ANGEL?

CORRECT ANSWER
BOHFM
EDDIE SAYS
Just a few more questions to go and then you are free to do something other than code cracking for a little while! This one is quite a simple one: to get to the word ANGEL from the word ANGLE, you just have to swap the fourth and fifth letters around. That means the code for ANGEL is BOHFM! Don't be afraid to use these shortcuts when you spot them, code cracker! Some questions are more straight-forward than they may seem.
  • Question 9
A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

We are on the penultimate question, code cracker. Keep the energy going right through to the end!

Meet Sally the Seal...

If the code for SALE is UCNG, what is the code for SEAL?

CORRECT ANSWER
UGCN
EDDIE SAYS
Did you work out Sally's code word? From what we know, we can see that to get to the code letter from the real letter we need to jump two letters forward in the alphabet. So S = U, A = C, etc. So, SEAL is as follows: S = U E = G A = C L = N So the code for SEAL is UGCN!
  • Question 10
A B C D E F
G H I J K L
M N O P Q R
S T U V W X
Y Z        

You made it, code cracker! We are on the last question! Wahoo!

I hope you feel you have LEARNT something!

So, if the code for RENTAL is QDMSZK, then what is the code for LEARNT?

CORRECT ANSWER
KDZQMS
EDDIE SAYS
You made it to the last question! Congratulations, code cracker! Right, then, let's go through this together... The code here is nice and simple! If R = Q, E = D and so on, we can see that we just have to jump one place backwards in the alphabet to get to each code letter. If we do this with the word LEARNT, we get: L = K E = D A = Z R = Q N = M T = S So, the code for LEARNT is KDZQMS! You did it, code cracker. Fantastic work! You have developed your ability to use a given code to help you work out another code which uses some of the same letters. You also began to identify alphabetic patterns, using this to crack codes. Why not take a well-deserved rest before attempting another more challenging activity?
---- OR ----

Get started for free so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free