The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Build Compound Words (Including Different Pronunciations)

In this worksheet, students will make compound words by choosing two smaller words that join together to make a longer word. They will learn to find words which are pronounced differently to the separate word components.

'Build Compound Words (Including Different Pronunciations)' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Compound Words

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

What do we have here word detective?  

Can you help us solve this challenge?

What do the words below have in common?

blueberries                                         a field of buttercups                                              a pile of pancakes

blueberries                                                  buttercup                                                           pancakes

They are all made up of two smaller words.

These words are called compound words and are made when smaller words join together to make a longer word.

blue + berries blueberries

butter + cup = buttercup

pan cakes = pancakes

These words were quick to find as we can hear the two separate words clearly when we say the long word.

Can you find the two words that make up the following word?

legend

Did you find leg and end?

These were more challenging to find as we pronounce the word leg differently in legend.

Which of the following words could you add to the word act to make a compound word?

and - this would make actand

or - this would make actor

either -  this would make acteither

The correct answer is or, as act or = actor.

In this activity, you will need to be a legend (compound word alert!) and find two words that join together to make a longer word.

Let’s get started!

Let's get started, word detective.

Underline ALL of the compound words in the sentence below. 

a field of buttercups

A blackbird flew over a field of buttercups.

boy reading from a laptop

I got a tablet for my birthday at the weekend.

Make sure you write the words in the correct order to be marked correctly. 

Type in the two separate words which make the compound word below.​

carrot

a carrot

Type in the two separate words which make the compound word below.

Make sure you write the words in the correct order to be marked correctly. ​

increase

an arrow pointing up                               

bitten

a lion roaring and showing all its teeth

Which of the following words could you add before the word on to make a compound word? 

There is more than one correct answer.

Drag

One

Ton

Can

Which of the following words can you add before the word ten to make a compound word?

big

rot

one

now

Which of the following words can you add before the word let to make a compound word?

no

pig

desk

screen

Nearly there, word detective!

Match the words below to make compound words.

Column A

Column B

drag
end
week
crease
car
rot
in
on
bit
ten

Column A

Column B

birth
on
tab
cup
butter
day
can
let
for
get
  • Question 1

Let's get started, word detective.

a field of buttercups

CORRECT ANSWER
A blackbird flew over a field of buttercups.
EDDIE SAYS
The compound words are blackbird and buttercups. Black + bird = blackbird Butter + cups = buttercups Did you find both of them? Remember you should always check that there isn't more than one.
  • Question 2

boy reading from a laptop

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
There were three compound words in this sentence: Tablet = tab + let Birthday = birth + day Weekend = week + end Did you remember to check for more than one? Great stuff!
  • Question 3

Make sure you write the words in the correct order to be marked correctly. 

Type in the two separate words which make the compound word below.​

carrot

a carrot

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you remember to write the words in the correct order? The compound word carrot is made up of the words car and rot. The word carrot sounds very different to the two separate words - which is probably just as well since I don't think a carrot would sound good to eat if it sounded as if it were rotten!
  • Question 4

increase

an arrow pointing up                               

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The compound word increase is made up of the words in and crease. Use the original word to help with spelling. The word increase means to get bigger.
Ready for another one?
  • Question 5

bitten

a lion roaring and showing all its teeth

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The compound word bitten is made up of the words bit and ten. Compound words often include a pair of double letters in them and it is always worth checking whether it can be split between the double letters, as it does in this example - the word 'bit' ends in a 't' and the word 'ten' begins with a 't'.
  • Question 6

Which of the following words could you add before the word on to make a compound word? 

There is more than one correct answer.

CORRECT ANSWER
Drag
Can
EDDIE SAYS
The correct answers are drag and can. Drag + on = dragon Can + on = canon Remember to choose all of the correct answers. You can write the word combinations down to help you see the correct compound words. This would make it easy to see that the other combinations won't work: One + on = oneon - NO! Ton + on = tonon - WRONG!
  • Question 7

Which of the following words can you add before the word ten to make a compound word?

CORRECT ANSWER
rot
EDDIE SAYS
The correct answer is rot + ten = rotten. The other options do not make correct compound words. Big + ten = bigten - NOT a real word. One + ten = oneten - NOT a real word. Now + ten - nowten - NOT a real word.
  • Question 8

Which of the following words can you add before the word let to make a compound word?

CORRECT ANSWER
pig
EDDIE SAYS
The correct answer is pig: pig + let = piglet. The other options do not make real compound words. No + let = nolet - NOT a real word. Desk + let = desklet - NOT a real word. Screen + let = screenlet - NOT a real word.
  • Question 9

Nearly there, word detective!

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

drag
on
week
end
car
rot
in
crease
bit
ten
EDDIE SAYS
Drag + on = dragon Week + end = weekend Car + rot = carrot In + crease = increase Bit + ten = bitten
Did you get them all? Great detecting skills!
  • Question 10

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

birth
day
tab
let
butter
cup
can
on
for
get
EDDIE SAYS
That was the last question of the worksheet - have you got the idea now? Here are the correct matching pairs:
Birth + day = birthday Tab + let = tablet Butter + cup = buttercup Can + on = canon For + get = forget
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.