The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Create number codes using multiple words

In this worksheet, students will turn words into number codes using multiple words and codes to find and apply the pattern. It will develop their encoding and problem solving skills.

'Create number codes using multiple words' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:   Number Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi there code cracker!

Today we are going to learn about a new type of code.

This time, our codes will be turning words into numbers.

Here is a list of words:

CARD   DARK    CRAB    INKS

Here are some codes for the above words. They are not in order:

0473     2741    2470    8935

Using this information, what would be the code for DRINK?

To work this out you need to follow three steps:

First, match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once.

Secondly, work out what each letter is in code.

Thirdly, work out the word, in this case DRINK, using the code you have found.

So let’s give it a try!

There are two codes beginning with the number 2. Do we have any words starting with the same letter?

We have two words starting with the letter C, so 2 must represent C (2=C).

We have two codes with the number 4 in the second letter position. Which letter appears in the second letter position twice? 4 must be the letter A (4=A).

We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us:

DARK = 0473

CRAB = 2741

CARD = 2470

INKS = 8935

So D = 0, R = 7, I = 8, N = 9, K = 3.

If we use this code on the word DRINK, we get the answer of 07893.

In this activity, you will be a code cracker and work out the digit-based code for a given word.

Pssstt!! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

It can be really helpful to write the words out and then write the corresponding numbers above each letter as you work them out.  Give it a go!

Let’s get started!

Welcome back to number code cracking, code cracker! Are you ready for the challenge of working at Year 5 level? Of course you are! 

Let's...

Look at the list of words below:

CODE COIL BODE  CLAW

4139   6170   4908  4170

Using this information, what would be the code for BOIL?

How did you get on with that, code cracker? I hope it made sense! Don't worry if you needed a bit of help -  it takes time to master a new skill. 

HOPE  COPE  CAPE  CAPS

7210  7219  6310  7310

Using this information, what would be the code for PACE?

OK, on to the next one then code cracker! This time, we're going to start with my favourite animal: a FROG!

FROG  TURF  RAFT  TURN

5138  2304  3925  5132

Using this information, what would be the code for GROUT?

You're doing brilliantly so far, code cracker - soon you're going to be Superintendent Code Cracker! This time, we're going for a food theme:

TIME  MEAT  MEAL  MESS

9014  1455  1436  1439

Using this information, what would be the code for LIMIT?

Another one bites the dust! You're getting through these very successfully, well done! Remember, we're still learning the skill so don't panic if you haven't got any right just yet. 

So, let's have another go!

FREE  FUEL  FOLD  FEUD

7964  7136  7233  7314

Using this information, what would be the code for DOLEFUL?

OK, on to the next one then code cracker! This time, we're looking for the code for ROCKS.

PICK  CORK  SACK  CASE

Here are some codes for the above words. They are not necessarily in order:

3124  2654  2897  9824

Using this information, what would be the code for ROCKS?

You are making great progress, code cracker! Keep going - we're almost there!

FUME  MEGA  FLEA  FLEW

5918  3178  5231  5910

Using this information, what would be the code for GALE?

I can't believe we only have three questions left, code cracker. Amazing work - it's almost time to celebrate!

LINK  LANE  CANE  CALL

Here are some codes for the above words. They are not necessarily in order:

7643  7241  9643  9677

Using this information, what would be the code for LACK?

We're almost at the end, code cracker! Brilliant work!

GROWL  FROWN  GRAIN  GRASS

21643  21500  71649  21589

Using this information, what would be the code for SLAIN?

We've made it to the final question, code cracker! Amazing work, well done - you are a superstar!

Right, let's try and get this last question right.

MALE  PAIL  FOOL  MAIL

2103  8550  7190  2190

Using this information, what would be the code for FAIL?

• Question 1

Welcome back to number code cracking, code cracker! Are you ready for the challenge of working at Year 5 level? Of course you are! 

Let's...

CODE COIL BODE  CLAW

4139   6170   4908  4170

Using this information, what would be the code for BOIL?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
This technique isn't always easy, so don't worry if it takes some time to get it right. Make sure you spend time going through the explanation to help you! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are three codes with the number 1 in the second letter position. We have three words with O as the second letter. Therefore, 1 must be O (1 = O). The number 4 appears in the first letter position in three words. The letter C is the first letter in three words. Therefore, 4 is C (4 = C). Only one word does NOT begin with a C and one code does NOT begin with a 4, so this must be the code for BODE. We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: CODE = 4170 COIL = 4139 BODE = 6170 CLAW = 4908 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So B = 6, O = 1, I = 3, L = 9 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word BOIL, we get the answer of 6139!
  • Question 2

How did you get on with that, code cracker? I hope it made sense! Don't worry if you needed a bit of help -  it takes time to master a new skill. 

HOPE  COPE  CAPE  CAPS

7210  7219  6310  7310

Using this information, what would be the code for PACE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on with this one, code cracker? Don't worry if you're finding it tricky - we're still learning to master this skill! Just take your time and work through the explanation with me. This technique isn't always easy, so don't worry if it takes some time to get it right. Make sure you spend time going through the explanation to help you! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are three codes with the number 0 in the fourth letter position. We have three words with E as the fourth letter. Therefore, 0 must be E (0 = E). The number 7 appears in the first letter position in three codes. The letter C is the first letter position in three words. Therefore, 7 is C (7 = C). We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: HOPE = 6310 COPE = 7310 CAPE = 7210 CAPS = 7219 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So P = 1, A = 2, C = 7, E = 0 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word PACE, we get the answer of 1270!
  • Question 3

OK, on to the next one then code cracker! This time, we're going to start with my favourite animal: a FROG!

FROG  TURF  RAFT  TURN

5138  2304  3925  5132

Using this information, what would be the code for GROUT?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
OK, code cracker, I hope this is becoming a bit clearer now! Remember to use the technique and work through stage by stage, as I explained in the introduction and the explanations. This will really help you! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: The number 2 appears in three different codes in the first, second and third letter positions. The letter F is the the first, second and third letter in three different codes. Therefore, 2 must be F (2 = F). This is all we need, code cracker! It's always nice to find a nice quick code to break, isn't it? We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: FROG = 2304 TURF = 5132 RAFT = 3925 TURN = 5138 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So G = 4, R = 3, O = 0, U = 1, T = 5. 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word GROUT, we get the answer of 43015!
  • Question 4

You're doing brilliantly so far, code cracker - soon you're going to be Superintendent Code Cracker! This time, we're going for a food theme:

TIME  MEAT  MEAL  MESS

9014  1455  1436  1439

Using this information, what would be the code for LIMIT?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
You're making great progress, code cracker! Let's go through this one carefully together - remember to take your time when working out these codes! Slow and steady wins the race in the long run! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are three codes with the number 1 in the first letter position. We have three words with M as the first letter. Therefore, 1 must be M (1 = M). This is all we need because we have an "odd one out" situation! Only one code does not begin with the number 1, so this must be the code for the word which does not begin with M: TIME! We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: TIME = 9014 MEAT = 1439 MEAL = 1436 MESS = 1455 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So L = 6, I = 0, M = 1, I = 0, T = 9 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word LIMIT, we get the answer of 60109!
  • Question 5

Another one bites the dust! You're getting through these very successfully, well done! Remember, we're still learning the skill so don't panic if you haven't got any right just yet. 

So, let's have another go!

FREE  FUEL  FOLD  FEUD

7964  7136  7233  7314

Using this information, what would be the code for DOLEFUL?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
You are halfway through, code cracker! That's fantastic work! This isn't the easiest skill, so take your time and remember that I am always here to help. Just read through the explanation if you need me! So, here we go again... 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: The number 7 is the first number in every code. All of the words begin with F. Therefore, 7 must be F (7 = F). The number 3 appears in the third and fourth number positions in one code. The letter E appears in these positions in the word FREE. From this, we can work out the code for FREE and then all the other codes! So, we get: FREE = 7233 FUEL = 7136 FOLD = 7964 FEUD = 7314 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So D = 4, O = 9, L = 6, E = 3, F = 7, U = 1, L = 6 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word DOLEFUL, we get the answer of 4963716!
  • Question 6

OK, on to the next one then code cracker! This time, we're looking for the code for ROCKS.

PICK  CORK  SACK  CASE

3124  2654  2897  9824

Using this information, what would be the code for ROCKS?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
You have gone beyond the halfway mark, code cracker! You should feel really proud of that - this is a skill which requires lots of concentration, so it's clear that you are working really hard. Let's keep up the effort and work through this one together! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are three codes with the number 4 in the fourth letter position. We have three words with K as the fourth letter. Therefore, 4 must be K (4 = K). The number 2 appears in the first letter position in two words. The letter C is the first letter of two words. Therefore, 2 is C (2 = C). We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: PICK = 3124 CORK = 2654 SACK = 9824 CASE = 2897 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So R = 5, O = 6, C = 2, K = 4, S = 9 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word ROCKS, we get the answer of 56249.
  • Question 7

You are making great progress, code cracker! Keep going - we're almost there!

FUME  MEGA  FLEA  FLEW

5918  3178  5231  5910

Using this information, what would be the code for GALE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Are you still working through each stage, carefully, code cracker? If not, make sure you do - it makes everything so much easier when you work carefully and write it all out. Trust me! Let's go... 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are three codes with the number 5 in the first letter position. We have three words with F as the first letter. Therefore, 5 must be F (5 = F). The number 1 appears in every code, but in different letter positions. The letter E appears in every word, but in different positions. Therefore, 1 is E (1 = E). That's all we need to crack these codes, code cracker! We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: FUME = 5231 MEGA = 3178 FLEA = 5918 FLEW = 5910 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So G = 7, A = 8, L = 9, E = 1 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word GALE, we get the answer of 7891!
  • Question 8

I can't believe we only have three questions left, code cracker. Amazing work - it's almost time to celebrate!

LINK  LANE  CANE  CALL

7643  7241  9643  9677

Using this information, what would be the code for LACK?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
We are so close to the end, code cracker! Brilliant stuff. Stick with me, though, as we go through these final few explanations - they will really help you! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There is one code with the number 7 in the third and fourth letter positions. We have one words with L as the third and fourth letters. Therefore, 7 must be L (7 = L). That's all we need, folks! We can now work out all the codes from here. Great stuff! So we see that: LINK = 7241 LANE = 7643 CANE = 9643 CALL = 9677 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So L = 7, A = 6, C = 9, K = 1 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word LACK, we get the answer of 7691!
  • Question 9

We're almost at the end, code cracker! Brilliant work!

GROWL  FROWN  GRAIN  GRASS

21643  21500  71649  21589

Using this information, what would be the code for SLAIN?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Let's keep at it, code cracker! This is the penultimate explanation. Stay focused and remember - I'm here to help! Keep following our usual technique and we will see the following... 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are three codes with the number 2 in the first letter position. We have three words with G as the first letter. Therefore, 2 must be G (2 = G). So, there is only one code that does not begin with the number 2 and there is only one word which does not begin with the letter G. Therefore, we know that 71649 must be the code for FROWN and we can work out the rest from here! We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: GROWL = 21643 FROWN = 71649 GRAIN = 21589 GRASS = 21500 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So S = 0, L = 3, A = 5, I = 8, N = 9 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word SLAIN, we get the answer of 03589!
  • Question 10

We've made it to the final question, code cracker! Amazing work, well done - you are a superstar!

Right, let's try and get this last question right.

MALE  PAIL  FOOL  MAIL

2103  8550  7190  2190

Using this information, what would be the code for FAIL?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
It's the final countdown, code cracker! I think you have definitely earned a nice break and a treat after working so hard at cracking these codes. Fantastic work! Now, just stick with me for this final explanation. You can do it! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 2 in the first letter position. We have two words with M as the first letter. Therefore, 2 must be M (2 = M). The sequence 190 appears in two codes in the second, third and fourth letter positions. The letter sequence AIL makes the second, third and fourth letters of two words. Therefore, 1 is A, 9 is I and 0 is L (1 = A, 9 = I, 0 = L). Spotting patterns like this can be really helpful, code cracker, so be on the lookout! We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: MALE = 2103 PAIL = 7190 FOOL = 8550 MAIL = 2190 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So F = 8, A = 1, I = 9, L = 0 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word FAIL, we get the answer of 8190! You did it, code cracker! Amazing work!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.