The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Create number codes using multiple word codes

In this worksheet, students will turn words into number codes using multiple words and codes to find and apply the pattern. It will develop their encoding and problem solving skills.

'Create number codes using multiple word codes' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Number Code Breaking

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi there code cracker!

Today we are going to learn about a new type of code.

This time, our codes will be turning words into numbers.

Here is a list of words:

CARD    DARK    CRAB    INKS

Here are some codes for the above words. They are not in order:

0473     2741    2470    8935

Using this information, what would be the code for DRINK?

To work this out you need to follow three steps:

First, match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once.

Secondly, work out what each letter is in code.

Thirdly, work out the word, in this case DRINK using the code you have found.

So let’s give it a try!

There are two codes beginning with the number 2. Do we have any words starting with the same letter?

We have two words starting with the letter C, so 2 must represent C (2=C).

We have two codes with the number 4 in the second letter position. Which letter appears in the second letter position twice? 4 must be the letter A (4=A).

We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us:

DARK = 0473

CRAB = 2741

CARD = 2470

INKS = 8935

So D = 0, R = 7, I = 8, N = 9, K = 3.

If we use this code on the word DRINK, we get the answer of 07893.

In this activity, you will be a code cracker and work out the digit-based code for a given word.

Pssstt!! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

It can be really helpful to write the words out and then write the corresponding numbers above each letter as you work them out.  Give it a go!

Let’s get started!

Hello again, code cracker! Are you ready to get your number code cracking adventure going! Let's go for it!

Here are a list of words:

TOOK  WANE  NOOK  WADE

Here are some codes for the above words. They are not necessarily in order:

6329  0114  6309  7114

Using this information, what would be the code for TOWN?

Right then, code cracker, time to take on another challenge! Take your time and work through this carefully - slow and steady wins the race when it comes to number code cracking!

CROW  WORK  NEWT  CREW

3462  2647  8125  3412

Using this information, what would be the code for CROWN?

It's time to work out another code, code cracker. This time for STEW. I hope you're hungry!

WIN  NEW  STY  WHY

915  246  605  632

Using this information, what would be the code for STEW?

Come on then, code cracker, let's tackle another question! I know you can do it - can you help me find out the code for MICE?

CAB  MOB  ICE  ACE

421  361  049  249

Using this information, what would be the code for MICE?

It looks more like a chemistry lesson than a number code cracking one in here, code cracker! Can you solve the GAS problem and find the code for SIGN?

Here is a list of words:

SAG  NAG  SIN  GAS

143  341  941  359

Using this information, what would be the code for SIGN?

Let's go fly a kite! Can you find out the code for NAME, code cracker? Go for it!

Here is a list of words:

MANE  MIKE  KITE  AIMS

6731  3791  6241  2760

Using this information, what would be the code for NAME?

That is a very big rat...! I can't say they are my favourite animals...

Can you work out the codes below for me, code cracker?

Here is a list of words:

FOG  FAR  IRE  RAT

317  964  326  628

Using this information, what would be the code for FIRE?

Can you help us find the code for SPACE and get our spaceship going, code cracker?!

Here is a list of words:

SPY  APE  CAR  RYE

924  321  637  741

Using this information, what would be the code for SPACE?

Come on then, code cracker, let's try and work out another number code!

Here is a list of words:

LIE  NEW  SON  WON

297  614  397  743

Using this information, what would be the code for LINES?

Can you believe we've made it to the last question, code cracker? That's fantastic work on your part - well done!

Here is a list of words:

FAN  EAR  SUE  ARE

246  921  624  736

Using this information, what would be the code for FEARS?

• Question 1

Hello again, code cracker! Are you ready to get your number code cracking adventure going! Let's go for it!

TOOK  WANE  NOOK  WADE

6329  0114  6309  7114

Using this information, what would be the code for TOWN?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
This technique isn't always easy, so don't worry if it takes some time to get it right. Make sure you spend time going through the explanation to help you! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 1 in the second and third letter positions. We have two words with O as the second and third letters. Therefore, 1 must be O (1 = O). The number 0 appears in the third and first letter positions in two words. The letter N is the third and first letter of two words. Therefore, 0 is N (0 = N). We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: TOOK = 7114 WANE = 6309 NOOK = 0114 WADE = 6329 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So T = 7, O = 1, W = 6, N = 0 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word TOWN, we get the answer of 7160.
  • Question 2

Right then, code cracker, time to take on another challenge! Take your time and work through this carefully - slow and steady wins the race when it comes to number code cracking!

CROW  WORK  NEWT  CREW

3462  2647  8125  3412

Using this information, what would be the code for CROWN?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Are you ready to wear the number code cracking CROWN, code cracker? Don't worry if not - we're still learning! Follow the stages carefully to help you get to the answer. 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 3 in the first letter position. We have two words with C as the first letter. Therefore, 3 must be C (3 = C). The number 4 appears twice in the second letter position in two words. The letter R is the second letter in two words. Therefore, 4 is R (4 = R). We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: CROW = 3462 WORK = 2647 NEWT = 8125 CREW = 3412 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So C = 3, R = 4, O = 6, W = 2, N = 8 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word CROWN, we get the answer of 34628.
  • Question 3

It's time to work out another code, code cracker. This time for STEW. I hope you're hungry!

WIN  NEW  STY  WHY

915  246  605  632

Using this information, what would be the code for STEW?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How are you getting on, code cracker? Don't worry if you haven't quite mastered things yet - make sure you break the code a task at a time and use the explanation below to help you. I'm here to help! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 6 in the first letter position. We have two words with W as the first letter. Therefore, 6 must be W (6 = W). The number 5 appears in the last letter position in two codes. The letter Y appears at the end of two words. Therefore, 5 must be Y (5 = Y). We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: WIN = 632 NEW = 246 STY = 915 WHY = 605 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So S = 9, T = 1, E = 4, W = 6 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word STEW, we get the answer of 9146.
  • Question 4

Come on then, code cracker, let's tackle another question! I know you can do it - can you help me find out the code for MICE?

CAB  MOB  ICE  ACE

421  361  049  249

Using this information, what would be the code for MICE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get the MICE their code? Even if you didn't get it first time round, I know you can do it. The key is to go through the explanation a few times, stage by stage, to clear up any confusion! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 4 in the second letter position. We have two words with C as the second letter. Therefore, 4 must be C (4 = C). The number 9 appears in the third letter position in two codes. The letter E is the third letter in two words. Therefore, 9 must be E (9 = E). We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: CAB = 421 MOB = 361 ICE = 049 ACE = 249 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So M = 3, I = 0, C = 4, E = 9 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word MICE, we get the answer of 3049.
  • Question 5

It looks more like a chemistry lesson than a number code cracking one in here, code cracker! Can you solve the GAS problem and find the code for SIGN?

Here is a list of words:

SAG  NAG  SIN  GAS

143  341  941  359

Using this information, what would be the code for SIGN?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you work it out, code cracker? Definitely make sure that you write down each word and write the corresponding code above it when you work it out. This will really help you work out the number code for each letter. 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 3 in the first letter position. We have two words with S as the first letter. Therefore, 3 must be S (3 = S). That's all we need! We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: SAG = 341 NAG = 941 SIN = 359 GAS = 143 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So S = 3, I = 5, G = 1, N= 9 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word SIGN, we get the answer of 3519.
  • Question 6

Let's go fly a kite! Can you find out the code for NAME, code cracker? Go for it!

Here is a list of words:

MANE  MIKE  KITE  AIMS

6731  3791  6241  2760

Using this information, what would be the code for NAME?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Are you getting the hang of this, code cracker? Remember: practice ensures progress. What could be more fun than practising number code worksheets at EdPlace?! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 6 in the first letter position. We have two words with M as the first letter. Therefore, 6 must be M (6 = M). That's all we need... again! Keep it simple when you can! We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: MANE = 6241 MIKE = 6731 KITE = 3791 AIMS = 2760 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So N = 4, A = 2, M = 6, E = 1 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word NAME, we get the answer of 4261.
  • Question 7

That is a very big rat...! I can't say they are my favourite animals...

Can you work out the codes below for me, code cracker?

Here is a list of words:

FOG  FAR  IRE  RAT

317  964  326  628

Using this information, what would be the code for FIRE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Are you on number code cracking FIRE, code cracker?! I reckon you are definitely getting there and you have made some fantastic progress so far. The fact that we've got to question 7 proves that! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 3 in the first letter position. We have two words with F as the first letter. Therefore, 3 must be F (3 = F). The number 2 appears in the second letter position twice. The letter A appears as the second letter twice. Therefore, 2 must be A (2 = A). We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: FOG = 317 FAR = 326 IRE = 964 RAT = 628 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So F = 3, I = 9, R = 6, E = 4 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word FIRE, we get the answer of 3964..
  • Question 8

Can you help us find the code for SPACE and get our spaceship going, code cracker?!

Here is a list of words:

SPY  APE  CAR  RYE

924  321  637  741

Using this information, what would be the code for SPACE?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on, code cracker? Remember to take it nice and slow - it is all about learning and mastering the skill at this stage! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 2 in the second letter position. We have two words with P as the second letter. Therefore, 2 must be P (2 = P). The number 1 appears in the last letter position in two codes. The letter E appears at the end of APE and RYE. Therefore, 1 must be E (1 = E). We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: SPY = 924 APE = 321 CAR = 637 RYE = 741 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So S = 9, P = 2, A = 3, C = 6, E = 1 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word SPACE, we get the answer of 92361.
  • Question 9

Come on then, code cracker, let's try and work out another number code!

Here is a list of words:

LIE  NEW  SON  WON

297  614  397  743

Using this information, what would be the code for LINES?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
Did you manage to read between the LINES and work out the code? Remember to use the different stages of the technique just as I do in the explanation below, code cracker! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 7 in the third letter position. We have two words with N as the third letter. Therefore, 7 must be N (7 = N). This is another speedy one - that's all we need! We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: LIE = 614 NEW = 743 SON = 297 WON = 397 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So L = 6, I = 1, N = 7, E = 4, S = 2 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word LINES, we get the answer of 61742.
  • Question 10

Can you believe we've made it to the last question, code cracker? That's fantastic work on your part - well done!

Here is a list of words:

FAN  EAR  SUE  ARE

246  921  624  736

Using this information, what would be the code for FEARS?

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? I know you're probably ready to finish, but let's just stay focused for one more explanation. I'm here to help! 1. Match each word to its corresponding code using numbers that appear more than once: There are two codes with the number 2 in the second letter position. We have two words with A as the second letter. Therefore, 2 must be A (2 = A). Another speedy one - we're ready to go! We now have enough information to match each word to a code, giving us: FAN = 921 EAR = 624 SUE = 736 ARE = 246 2. Work out what each letter is in code: So F = 9, E = 6, A = 2, R = 4, S = 7 3. Work out the word: If we use this code on the word FEARS, we get the answer of 96247. That's it! Cracking work, code cracker!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1