The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Add a Two-Letter Word to Create a New Word

In this worksheet, students will work out the missing letters of a word. They will use the context of the given sentence to help them. It will develop students’ comprehension, spelling and problem solving skills.

'Add a Two-Letter Word to Create a New Word' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:   Partial Word

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Hi, word detective!

Our letter thief has been at it again!

The thief has stolen two letters from a word but they have left a clue behind to help us figure out what the word is.

The clue is a synonym, which is a word with a very similar meaning.

Let’s have a look at the partial word:

Synonym Partial Word
halt  SP

The word has had two of its letters removed from somewhere in the word, but we are not sure where.

What could these letters be and where could they have been removed from?

policeman

The stolen letters are TO and the word is STOP.

Here is another word with missing letters:

CO

This time the thief has left behind a different kind of clue:

Clue  Partial word 
Something you wear when it's raining or cold  CO

What could these letters be and where could they have been removed from?

coat

The missing letters are AT and the word is COAT.

In this activity, you will be a word detective and work out the missing letters in a partial word.

The thief has left you a clue or a synonym for each word; this will help you to work out what the word is.

Another useful clue is that the two missing letters must make a word on their own.

Psst! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

You can use a thesaurus to help you if you get stuck.

Good luck locating those missing letters!

Look at this sentence:

I have FISHED all of my homework. 

The word in capital letters has had two of its letters taken away. 

These letters by themselves make a two-letter word

Type the two-letter word, which has been removed from somewhere in the bold word, into the box below.

Look at this sentence:

That coat BELGS to Samantha. 

The letters by themselves make a two-letter word

Type the two-letter word, which has been removed from somewhere in the bold word, into the box below.

Look at this sentence:

I had PEUT butter on my toast for breakfast. 

toaster

Type the two-letter word, which has been removed from somewhere in the bold word, into the box below.

Look at this sentence:

I looked at a map of the world in my LAS.

Look at this sentence:

The car SPPED at the red light. 

Look at this sentence:

I am a MEMR of my school's cricket team. 

Look at this sentence:

Steven FORT his packed lunch. 

lunch

Look at this sentence:

My FATR bought me a bicycle for my birthday. 

bicycle

Look at this sentence:

The box was too heavy to LT

Look at this sentence:

The cushion was very ST

The word in capital letters has had two of its letters taken away. 

The letters by themselves make a two-letter word

• Question 1

Look at this sentence:

I have FISHED all of my homework. 

These letters by themselves make a two-letter word

Type the two-letter word, which has been removed from somewhere in the bold word, into the box below.

CORRECT ANSWER
IN
EDDIE SAYS
How did you find this first challenge, word detective? First of all, let's consider the context of the sentence - which word would make sense in this sentence? FINISHED would be a good option, as it would fit with these letters and make sense in the sentence. OK, so which letters are missing from the word FISHED which could turn it into FINISHED? We could add the two-letter word IN after the letters FI- but before the letters -ISHED. Does that make sense? Another word, such as FAMISHED, could be created by adding the word AM, but this would not be correct as this word does not make sense in the sentence.
  • Question 2

Look at this sentence:

That coat BELGS to Samantha. 

CORRECT ANSWER
ON
EDDIE SAYS
Which word would make sense in this sentence? We have the noun 'coat' and a name 'Samantha', therefore, it makes sense that the word in bold should be BELONGS. Which letters are missing from BELGS, which could convert it into the word BELONGS? The answer is ON could be added after the first three letters BEL-, and before the final two -GS. Remember that the missing letters can go at the beginning of the word, in the middle or at the end.
  • Question 3

Look at this sentence:

I had PEUT butter on my toast for breakfast. 

toaster

CORRECT ANSWER
AN
EDDIE SAYS
Which word often accompanies 'butter' and can be spread on toast at breakfast? It's PEANUT, of course! Which letters are missing from the word PEUT to change it into PEANUT? The missing word AN can be added after the first two letters PE-, and before the final two -UT. There is no other word that could be created with these letters, which would also make sense within this sentence.
  • Question 4

Look at this sentence:

I looked at a map of the world in my LAS.

CORRECT ANSWER
AT
EDDIE SAYS
What type of resource would you be looking at a map of the world in? The word AT could be added at the start of LAS to create the word ATLAS. Other words, such as LANDS could be created using different letters, but would not be correct as ND is not a word on its own and the word LANDS does not make sense in this sentence.
  • Question 5

Look at this sentence:

The car SPPED at the red light. 

CORRECT ANSWER
TO
EDDIE SAYS
Let's follow our regular process: 1) Which word makes most sense in the sentence? What do cars do at red lights? STOPPED 2) Which letters are missing from the starting word? TO 3) Is this a real word on its own? Yes! A word such as SKIPPED could be created but would not be correct, as KI is not a word and SKIPPED does not make sense in this sentence.
  • Question 6

Look at this sentence:

I am a MEMR of my school's cricket team. 

CORRECT ANSWER
BE
EDDIE SAYS
If you were in your school's cricket team, how would you describe yourself? The missing word is BE, which makes up the longer word MEMBER. Are you a MEMBER of any sports teams?
  • Question 7

Look at this sentence:

Steven FORT his packed lunch. 

lunch

CORRECT ANSWER
GO
EDDIE SAYS
What action could Steven have completed, which affected his packed lunch? The missing word GO is part for the longer word FORGOT - Steven must have been very hungry! A word such as EFFORT would not be correct, as EF is not a word on its own and the word EFFORT would not make sense in this sentence.
  • Question 8

Look at this sentence:

My FATR bought me a bicycle for my birthday. 

bicycle

CORRECT ANSWER
HE
EDDIE SAYS
Who would buy someone a bike for their birthday? The use of the word 'my' implies that it is a family member. The missing word HE is part of the longer word FATHER. A word such as FATTER could be created, but would not make sense in this sentence, plus the letters TE do not make a word.
  • Question 9

Look at this sentence:

The box was too heavy to LT

CORRECT ANSWER
IF
EDDIE SAYS
Which action do we complete with a box which involves the word 'heavy'? The missing word IF is part of the longer word LIFT. An option such as LAST would not make sense in this sentence. Only one case left to crack detective - let's take a peek!
  • Question 10

Look at this sentence:

The cushion was very ST

The word in capital letters has had two of its letters taken away. 

The letters by themselves make a two-letter word

CORRECT ANSWER
OF
EDDIE SAYS
Which adjective would you use to describe a cushion? The word OF is part of the longer word SOFT. A word such as SALT would not be correct, as it does not make sense in the sentence and the letters AL do not make a word. Well done for completing this activity, word detective! You can now add two-letter words into a group of letters to create a new word, which makes sense in the wider context of a sentence.
---- OR ----

Get started for free so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free