The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Direct and Reported Speech: Know the Difference 2

In this worksheet, students consider the changes that need to be made when converting direct speech into reported speech. They also consider how they can use direct and reported speech to good effect in their writing.

'Direct and Reported Speech: Know the Difference 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   English

Curriculum subtopic:   Punctuation: Direct & Reported Speech

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

When we convert direct speech into reported speech we need to make a number of changes in addition to removing the speech marks.

"I hate peas!" screamed Lily.

Lily screamed that she hated peas.

The word I changes to she because we are reporting what somebody else says.

The verb hate (present tense) changes to hated (past tense).

The exclamation mark is left out.

"When is Dad coming home?" asked Zach.

Zach asked when Dad was coming home.

In this example, the verb is (present tense) changes to was (past tense), and the question mark is left out.

Because it is a question we have to change the word order as well. The verb (was) no longer comes straight after the question word (when) but is moved further along the sentence.

(Zach asked when was Dad coming home is incorrect.)

Reported speech is sometimes called indirect speech.

Read the following sentence containing direct speech.

"Get out of my room!" screamed Dora to her sister.

The following version of the sentence uses reported speech. Is it correct or incorrect?

Dora screamed at her sister to get out of my room.

Correct

Incorrect

"How long are we staying?" Pete asked his sister.

The following version of the sentence uses reported speech. Is it correct or incorrect?

Pete asked his sister how long they were staying.

Correct

Incorrect

"I want to go home!" shouted Sarah.

Sarah shouted that she wanted to go home!

Correct

Incorrect

"When is my train?" asked Mr Jones.

Mr Jones asked when was his train.

Correct

Incorrect

"I think we should go home soon," suggested Verity.

Verity suggested that they went home soon.

Correct

Incorrect

"Why can't I go out to play?" asked Carly.

Carly asked why she couldn't go out to play?

Correct

Incorrect

"Thank you for my present," said Evie to Fiona.

Which of the following sentences are correct ways of writing the sentence using reported speech?

Tick two boxes.

Evie thanked Fiona for her present.

Evie said thank you to Fiona for my present.

Evie said thank you to Fiona for her present.

Evie said thank Fiona for her present.

"Can Jimmy come to my party?" asked Stuart.

Which of the following sentences are correct ways of writing the sentence using reported speech?

Tick two boxes.

Stuart asked whether Jimmy could come to his party.

Stuart asked if Jimmy could come to his party?

Stuart asked if Jimmy could come to his party.

Stuart asked could Jimmy come to his party.

Ollie said, "I love maths!"

Tick two boxes.

Ollie said he loved maths.

Ollie said he loved maths!

Ollie said that he loved maths.

Ollie said that I love maths.

"I'm sorry I can't go with you, Sarah," said Tilly.

Tick two boxes.

Tilly said I am sorry I can't go with Sarah.

Tilly said she is sorry she couldn't go with Sarah.

Tilly said she was sorry she couldn't go with Sarah.

Tilly said she was sorry that she couldn't go with Sarah.

• Question 1

"Get out of my room!" screamed Dora to her sister.

Dora screamed at her sister to get out of my room.

CORRECT ANSWER
Incorrect
EDDIE SAYS
Read the sentence does it make sense? Think about why it doesn\'t sound right. It is Dora\'s room so it should say \'her room\', not \'my room\'. You got this!
  • Question 2

"How long are we staying?" Pete asked his sister.

Pete asked his sister how long they were staying.

CORRECT ANSWER
Correct
EDDIE SAYS
Keep it up! Ask yourself does this sentence make sense and does it have the same meaning as the example sentence? It is correct as it is Pete who is talking and \'they\' shows that he is asking about both himself and his sister.
  • Question 3

"I want to go home!" shouted Sarah.

Sarah shouted that she wanted to go home!

CORRECT ANSWER
Incorrect
EDDIE SAYS
Although the sentence has the same meaning, it is not correct because of the grammar. The exclamation mark is not needed for reported speech. You would only need to use exclamation mark if writing direct speech.
  • Question 4

"When is my train?" asked Mr Jones.

Mr Jones asked when was his train.

CORRECT ANSWER
Incorrect
EDDIE SAYS
Keep it up! When we convert questions into reported speech we have to move the verb away from the question word. The sentence should be \'Mr Jones asked when is my train?\' You can do this!
  • Question 5

"I think we should go home soon," suggested Verity.

Verity suggested that they went home soon.

CORRECT ANSWER
Correct
EDDIE SAYS
You getting the hang of this now? This is correct because the sentence has the same meaning. The word \'we\' has been changed to \'they\' and the verb \'go\' has been changed to \'went\' to show it is now past tense and we are reporting on what some one else has said.
  • Question 6

"Why can't I go out to play?" asked Carly.

Carly asked why she couldn't go out to play?

CORRECT ANSWER
Incorrect
EDDIE SAYS
High five for effort! This is incorrect because although the content of the sentence is right, we don\'t need the question mark. When we are writing reported speech we don\'t need to use the question mark as we are writing not as the subject in the sentence and therefore not actually asking the question ourselves.
  • Question 7

"Thank you for my present," said Evie to Fiona.

Tick two boxes.

CORRECT ANSWER
Evie thanked Fiona for her present.
Evie said thank you to Fiona for her present.
EDDIE SAYS
Nearly there keep it up! The trick here is to read all the sentences and think about which two make the most sense. Remember reported speech has to have the same meaning, the same message should be said however this time from an outside voice. Option 2 says \'my present\', this can not be correct as reported speech refers to the person from and outside voice, it should be \'her present\'. Option 4 does not make sense as the word \'you\' has been missed out. Which means the 1st and the 3rd option are correct.
  • Question 8

"Can Jimmy come to my party?" asked Stuart.

Tick two boxes.

CORRECT ANSWER
Stuart asked whether Jimmy could come to his party.
Stuart asked if Jimmy could come to his party.
EDDIE SAYS
Right you know what to do. Read through all four sentences and think about which sentences make sense and use the correct verbs, grammar and tense. Option 2 uses a question mark, reported speech does not need question marks as it is not a direct quote. Option 4 has missed out the word \'if\' so the sentence does not make sense. This means the two correct answers are option 1 and 3.
  • Question 9

Ollie said, "I love maths!"

Tick two boxes.

CORRECT ANSWER
Ollie said he loved maths.
Ollie said that he loved maths.
EDDIE SAYS
You got this now! Process of elimination. Read through each option and check the sense and grammar. Option 2 uses an exclamation mark incorrectly, so this can not be a correct answer. Option 4 uses the first person. We know that in reported speech we are talking as an outside voice so more commonly the third person is used, meaning this can not be correct.
  • Question 10

"I'm sorry I can't go with you, Sarah," said Tilly.

Tick two boxes.

CORRECT ANSWER
Tilly said she was sorry she couldn\'t go with Sarah.
Tilly said she was sorry that she couldn\'t go with Sarah.
EDDIE SAYS
Good effort! Remember reported speech has to have to same meaning as the direct quote. Option 1 does not do this as it does not describe Tilly talking to Sarah, it is as if Tilly is talking about Sarah. Option 2 uses the present tense \'is sorry\', when we use reported speech we use the past tense.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.