The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Listen and Write 2a

In this worksheet, students practice typing simple words or sentences that are dictated to them.

'Listen and Write 2a' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 1

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Transcription

Curriculum subtopic:   Write Simple Dictated Sentences

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

You are going to use lots of parts of your body in this worksheet!

Ears - to listen!

Hands - to type! hands

Your brain - to think! child thinking

This is because you are going to listen to some words, and then type what you hear.

Press this:

This is what you can hear:

me

You need to try and spell the words correctly.

Press this:

Type what you can hear.

Press this:

Type what you can hear.

Press this:

Type what you can hear.

Press this:

Type what you can hear.

Press this:

Type what you can hear.

Now listen to this sentence.

Type what you can hear. 

Don't forget to use a capital letter to start your sentence and a full stop to finish.

Type what you can hear. 

Don't forget to use a capital letter to start your sentence and a full stop to finish.

Type what you can hear. 

Type what you can hear. 

Type what you can hear. 

• Question 1

Press this:

Type what you can hear.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
The trick here is to try and break down the word you can hear. Clapping the sounds in the word as you hear them can help to identify the correct phonemes. 'Like' uses the split digraph i-e. The 'e' in the split digraph changes the vowel sound. If the 'e' was not there would make the phoneme 'i' as in 'ink'. So you must remember the 'e'!
  • Question 2

Press this:

Type what you can hear.

CORRECT ANSWER
home
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? Again here 'home' has the split digraph o-e. Remember the 'e' changes the 'o' to the vowel sound. Without the 'e' the phoneme would be 'o' as in 'otter', which would not give us the correct phoneme for the word 'home'.
  • Question 3

Press this:

Type what you can hear.

CORRECT ANSWER
come
EDDIE SAYS
Did you remember? You needed to use the split digraph o-e. Remember you can clap each of the phonemes you hear to try and identify them correctly. Keep up the great effort!
  • Question 4

Press this:

Type what you can hear.

CORRECT ANSWER
are
EDDIE SAYS
Now this is a tricky word to spell. It does not follow our rules of phonics. The best way to try to remember how it is spelt is to picture how it is spelt and keep practising writing it out. The more you practise writing it the better you will become at remembering the correct spelling.
  • Question 5

Press this:

Type what you can hear.

CORRECT ANSWER
going
EDDIE SAYS
You can do this! Always start with what you know. Break the word down to identify the correct phonemes in the word. The word 'going' has 4 phonemes: g-o-i-ng.
  • Question 6

Type what you can hear. 

CORRECT ANSWER
I am going home.
EDDIE SAYS
These are the words you have done before, just remember you play the clip over and over. Clap the sounds in any words that you find tricky. Don't forget your capital letters and full stops!
  • Question 7

Type what you can hear. 

CORRECT ANSWER
I want to play.
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? Keep practising, you can do this.
  • Question 8

Type what you can hear. 

CORRECT ANSWER
Look at my dad.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it right? Don't forget those capital letters and full stops! Use your phonics to sound out the words. You have got this!
  • Question 9

Type what you can hear. 

CORRECT ANSWER
This dog is big.
EDDIE SAYS
Excellent effort! Did you remember you capital letter at the start of the sentence and your full stop at the end?
  • Question 10

Type what you can hear. 

CORRECT ANSWER
It is a school day.
EDDIE SAYS
The tricky word in this sentence is 'school' but you can break it down to identify each phoneme. 'School' has 5 phonemes: s-c-h-oo-l. Great effort.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.