The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Digraph 'ie' 2

In this worksheet, students will practice spelling words with the 'ie' digraph.

'Digraph 'ie' 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 1

Curriculum topic:   Reading: Word Reading

Curriculum subtopic:   Grapheme Awareness

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

These words both have the 'ie' digraph in them, but they sound different.

field tie

field

sounds like 'e' or 'ee'.

tie

sounds like 'I'

Sometimes 'ie' sounds like 'e'.

Sometimes 'ie' sounds like 'I'.

In this worksheet you look at different words that use this digraph.

Look at this:

Thief

Pick the correct spelling.

thief

theef

Look at this:

baby crying

crid

cried

Look at this:

Chief

chef

chief

Look at this:

shield

shield

sheeld

Look at this:

pie

Can you spell this? 

Remember to use 'ie'.

Look at this:

dice

Can you spell this? 

Remember to use 'ie'.

Look at this:

field

Can you type this sentence?

Remember to use 'ie'.

Look at this:

tie

Remember to use 'ie'.

• Question 1

Look at this:

Thief

CORRECT ANSWER
thief
EDDIE SAYS
Well done for giving this a try. The 'ie' digraph makes the long e sound in the word thief. The word 'thief' has 3 phonemes, 'th-ie-f'. Keep it up!
  • Question 2

Look at this:

baby crying

CORRECT ANSWER
cried
EDDIE SAYS
The most important thing to remember when looking at the 'ie' sound is that 'i' on it's on in a word makes the short vowel sound. Like in the the word 'pin'. It is the digraph 'ie' that makes the long vowel sound. Listen carefully to which sound is being said. Give the next question a go.
  • Question 3

Look at this:

Chief

CORRECT ANSWER
chief
EDDIE SAYS
In this question the 'ie' digraph is used in the word 'chief'. If you are stuck try looking at both options. Which one looks right? Quite often we can tell which spelling is correct by looking at which word looks more familiar to us. The 'ie' digraph makes the long e sound in the word chief.
  • Question 4

Look at this:

shield

CORRECT ANSWER
shield
EDDIE SAYS
The 'ie' digraph can be trickier as it makes different sounds depending on the word it is in. In this example we can hear the sound 'ee', however it is the 'ie' digraph that is used to make this sound. Excellent effort! Try the next one.
  • Question 5

Look at this:

pie

Can you spell this? 

Remember to use 'ie'.

CORRECT ANSWER
pie
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? With lots of sounds you learn it is important to look at the position of them within words. We don't often see words that end in 'i', normally an 'e' will follow. The word 'pie' uses the digraph 'ie' to make the sound. The word pie is spelt - p-ie.
  • Question 6

Look at this:

dice

Can you spell this? 

Remember to use 'ie'.

CORRECT ANSWER
die
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it right? Remember that we don't often see words ending in 'i'. The word for a single dice is die. The word 'die' uses the digraph 'ie' to make the correct sound. In this word the 'ie' digraph is making the long 'I' sound.
  • Question 7

Look at this:

field

Remember to use 'ie'.

CORRECT ANSWER
I am in a field.
EDDIE SAYS
Have you got the hang of this now? In the world 'field' the 'ie' digraph is making the long 'e' sound. The sound 'ee' can be made in different ways. If you are stuck write each one out and have a look at which spelling looks the most familiar.
  • Question 8

Look at this:

tie

Remember to use 'ie'.

CORRECT ANSWER
This is my school tie.
EDDIE SAYS
Last question well done! Remember we are looking at the digraph 'ie' which makes the long vowel sound for 'I'. A good way to remember the sound is that the 'e' makes the 'I' say it's name. In the word 'tie' we can hear the 'I' sound so 'ie' is the correct spelling.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.