The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Check Your Work: Sentence Structure 1

In this worksheet, students gain practice in splitting up writing into separate sentences.

'Check Your Work: Sentence Structure 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 1

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Composition

Curriculum subtopic:   Check Own Work for Sense

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Read this 'sentence'.

We went to the park we played on the swings we had a good time.

It is hard to read because it is really three separate sentences. The first one tells us that the children went to the park, the second one tells us that they played on the swings and the third one tells us that they had a good time.

If we split the writing into three sentences using full stops and capital letters it is much easier to read.

We went to the park. We played on the swings. We had a good time.

In this worksheet you can practise splitting writing up into sentences to make it easier to read.

This 'sentence' is really two sentences. Write it out again, remembering to use capital letters and full stops.

My brother is ten his name is Harry.

This 'sentence' is really two sentences. Write it out again, remembering to use capital letters and full stops.

Mia has swimming lessons she goes every Monday.

Josh is good at tennis he always beats his sister.

Yasmin likes dancing she goes to ballet lessons.

I don't like snakes I am afraid of them.

My sister is older than me she is nine.

This time the 'sentence' is really three sentences. Write it out again, remembering to use capital letters and full stops.

We have a new kitten she is called Tabitha she is very cute.

This 'sentence' is really three sentences, too. Write it out again, remembering to use capital letters and full stops.

My granny is Welsh she lives in Cardiff she is seventy five.

This time you need to work out whether the 'sentence' is really two sentences or three sentences. Think about where to split it up then write it out again correctly.

Adele has two dogs they are called Lucy and Lily.

Work out whether this 'sentence' is really two sentences or three sentences. Think about where to split it up then write it out again correctly.

Peter loves going to the seaside he likes swimming he loves playing cricket on the beach.

• Question 1

My brother is ten his name is Harry.

CORRECT ANSWER
My brother is ten. His name is Harry.
My brother is ten. His name is Harry.
My brother is ten . His name is Harry.
  • Question 2

Mia has swimming lessons she goes every Monday.

CORRECT ANSWER
Mia has swimming lessons. She goes every Monday.
Mia has swimming lessons. She goes every Monday.
Mia has swimming lessons . She goes every Monday.
  • Question 3

Josh is good at tennis he always beats his sister.

CORRECT ANSWER
Josh is good at tennis. He always beats his sister.
Josh is good at tennis. He always beats his sister.
Josh is good at tennis . He always beats his sister.
  • Question 4

Yasmin likes dancing she goes to ballet lessons.

CORRECT ANSWER
Yasmin likes dancing. She goes to ballet lessons.
Yasmin likes dancing. She goes to ballet lessons.
Yasmin likes dancing . She goes to ballet lessons.
  • Question 5

I don't like snakes I am afraid of them.

CORRECT ANSWER
I don't like snakes. I am afraid of them.
I don't like snakes. I am afraid of them.
I don't like snakes . I am afraid of them.
  • Question 6

My sister is older than me she is nine.

CORRECT ANSWER
My sister is older than me. She is nine.
My sister is older than me. She is nine.
My sister is older than me . She is nine.
  • Question 7

This time the 'sentence' is really three sentences. Write it out again, remembering to use capital letters and full stops.

We have a new kitten she is called Tabitha she is very cute.

CORRECT ANSWER
We have a new kitten. She is called Tabitha. She is very cute.
We have a new kitten. She is called Tabitha. She is very cute.
We have a new kitten . She is called Tabitha . She is very cute.
  • Question 8

This 'sentence' is really three sentences, too. Write it out again, remembering to use capital letters and full stops.

My granny is Welsh she lives in Cardiff she is seventy five.

CORRECT ANSWER
My granny is Welsh. She lives in Cardiff. She is seventy five.
My granny is Welsh. She lives in Cardiff. She is seventy five.
My granny is Welsh . She lives in Cardiff . She is seventy five.
  • Question 9

This time you need to work out whether the 'sentence' is really two sentences or three sentences. Think about where to split it up then write it out again correctly.

Adele has two dogs they are called Lucy and Lily.

CORRECT ANSWER
Adele has two dogs. They are called Lucy and Lily.
Adele has two dogs. They are called Lucy and Lily.
Adele has two dogs . They are called Lucy and Lily.
EDDIE SAYS
This is only two sentences. The first one tells us that Adele has two dogs, and the second one tells us their names.
  • Question 10

Work out whether this 'sentence' is really two sentences or three sentences. Think about where to split it up then write it out again correctly.

Peter loves going to the seaside he likes swimming he loves playing cricket on the beach.

CORRECT ANSWER
Peter loves going to the seaside. He likes swimming. He loves playing cricket on the beach.
Peter loves going to the seaside. He likes swimming. He loves playing cricket on the beach.
Peter loves going to the seaside . He likes swimming . He loves playing cricket on the beach.
EDDIE SAYS
This was tricky! There are three sentences here telling us three different things about Peter.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.