The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Investigate Time Connectives

In this worksheet, students identify a range of connectives that signal time sequences.

'Investigate Time Connectives' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Writing: Vocabulary, Grammar and Punctuation

Curriculum subtopic:  Use Conjunctions, Adverbs and Prepositions

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Read this account of a trip to the seaside.

We went on the beach and then we built a sandcastle and then we had an ice cream and then we went paddling and then we played cricket and then we had fish and chips.

Did you notice that it was all one long sentence and that 'and then' was used five times?

We can make our writing much more interesting by using time connectives. These are words that link sentences and show the order that things happened.

We went on the beach. First of all we built a sandcastle and then we had an ice cream. After that we went paddling. Later on we played cricket and finally we had fish and chips.

Instead of one long sentence, the account has been split up so that no more than two ideas are linked. This time, 'and then' has only been used once.

Read these sentences and identify the time connective that has been used to link them. Write it in the answer box.

(The connective may be made up of more than one word!)

We played on the swings. After that we fed the ducks.

Read these sentences and identify the time connective that has been used to link them. Write it in the answer box.

We had assembly at the start of the day. Next we had numeracy.

I watched television on Saturday morning. Later on I went to see my friend Jonny.

Read this sentence and identify the time connective that has been used to link the ideas. Write it in the answer box.

I read my book while my sister practised her violin.

Kayla was out in the street playing. Meanwhile, her mother was secretly baking her birthday cake.

It had been a very long journey. Finally the bus arrived in Manchester.

Read this sentence and identify the time connective that has been used to link the ideas. Write it in the answer box.

After we finished our homework we were allowed out to play.

We will be having tea in an hour. In the meantime you can play in your room.

Look at the list of connective words. All of them are time connectives except one. Which is the odd one out?

next

first

because

meanwhile

Which is the odd one out this time?

so

finally

after that

later on

• Question 1

We played on the swings. After that we fed the ducks.

CORRECT ANSWER
After that
  • Question 2

We had assembly at the start of the day. Next we had numeracy.

CORRECT ANSWER
Next
  • Question 3

I watched television on Saturday morning. Later on I went to see my friend Jonny.

CORRECT ANSWER
Later on
  • Question 4

I read my book while my sister practised her violin.

CORRECT ANSWER
while
EDDIE SAYS
The connective 'while' shows that two things are happening at the same time.
  • Question 5

Kayla was out in the street playing. Meanwhile, her mother was secretly baking her birthday cake.

CORRECT ANSWER
Meanwhile
EDDIE SAYS
The connective 'meanwhile' is also used to show that two things are happening at the same time, but it is used to link two separate sentences. The connective 'while' is used to link two ideas in one sentence.
  • Question 6

It had been a very long journey. Finally the bus arrived in Manchester.

CORRECT ANSWER
Finally
  • Question 7

After we finished our homework we were allowed out to play.

CORRECT ANSWER
After
EDDIE SAYS
Sometimes the connective is at the beginning of the sentence!
  • Question 8

We will be having tea in an hour. In the meantime you can play in your room.

CORRECT ANSWER
In the meantime
  • Question 9

Look at the list of connective words. All of them are time connectives except one. Which is the odd one out?

CORRECT ANSWER
because
EDDIE SAYS
'Because' tells us the reason why something happens, not when it happens.
  • Question 10

Which is the odd one out this time?

CORRECT ANSWER
so
EDDIE SAYS
'So' also gives a reason why something happens so it is not a time connective.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.