The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Investigate Prepositions 1

In this worksheet, students practise identifying prepostions in sentences.

'Investigate Prepositions 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Writing: Vocabulary, Grammar and Punctuation

Curriculum subtopic:  Use Conjunctions, Adverbs and Prepositions

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

A preposition is a word or group of words that gives information about where, when or how something takes place.

The boy was riding his bike beside the lake.

He always went for a bike ride after lunch.

Today he was alone but he usually went with his brother.

There are over a hundred prepositions in the English language. Here are a few of them:

at, during, on, with, under, over, by, in front of, behind, towards, among, before.

Read this sentence and identify the preposition. Write it in the answer box.

My puppy loves playing with his ball.

My Nana always goes to sleep during the afternoon.

The kitten was hiding behind the curtains.

If you walk towards the town hall you will pass the post office.

Which of the prepositions in the list could be used to complete the following sentence? Tick three boxes.

The cat chased the mouse ________ the room.

at

behind

around

out of

under

across

Which of the prepositions in the list could be used to complete the following sentence? Tick three boxes.

My puppy kept howling ________ the night.

in

with

during

by

across

throughout

Joshua waited for Timmy ________ the house.

during

outside

after

in front of

with

near

The stream gurgled as it flowed ________ the bridge.

below

during

beneath

with

under

after

In the following sentences the prepositions have been underlined but there is a deliberate mistake. Find the underlined word that is not a preposition and write it in the answer box.

We moved to our new house on Monday. It is in Wigan, which is a long way from where we used to live in Hull. I came by car with my mum but my sister came in the removal van with my dad.

In the following sentences, the prepositions have been underlined but there is a deliberate mistake. Find the underlined word that is not a preposition and write it in the answer box.

We always brought the cows into the barn during the winter, but in the summer they loved being outside in the fields. Our sheepdog Jessie thought she was a cow dog and used to run among the cows and round them up at milking time.

• Question 1

My puppy loves playing with his ball.

CORRECT ANSWER
With
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? 'With' is the preposition in this sentence.
  • Question 2

My Nana always goes to sleep during the afternoon.

CORRECT ANSWER
During
EDDIE SAYS
The preposition 'during' tells us about which part of the day Nana goes to sleep.
  • Question 3

The kitten was hiding behind the curtains.

CORRECT ANSWER
Behind
EDDIE SAYS
What a cheeky hiding place! The preposition 'behind' tells us where the kitten is hiding.
  • Question 4

If you walk towards the town hall you will pass the post office.

CORRECT ANSWER
Towards
EDDIE SAYS
The preposition 'towards' tells us about the location of the post office.
  • Question 5

The cat chased the mouse ________ the room.

CORRECT ANSWER
around
out of
across
EDDIE SAYS
Did you find all three? 'At', 'behind' or 'under' would not make sense in this sentence.
  • Question 6

My puppy kept howling ________ the night.

CORRECT ANSWER
in
during
throughout
EDDIE SAYS
Did you find three? My puppy kept howling in the night. My puppy kept howling during the night. My puppy kept howling throughout the night. All three of these prepositions make sense.
  • Question 7

Joshua waited for Timmy ________ the house.

CORRECT ANSWER
outside
in front of
near
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot three? They were 'outside', 'in front of' and 'near'. Keep up the hard work!
  • Question 8

The stream gurgled as it flowed ________ the bridge.

CORRECT ANSWER
below
beneath
under
EDDIE SAYS
The three prepositions were, 'below', 'beneath' and 'under.' All three words indicate where the steam was travelling to.
  • Question 9

In the following sentences the prepositions have been underlined but there is a deliberate mistake. Find the underlined word that is not a preposition and write it in the answer box.

We moved to our new house on Monday. It is in Wigan, which is a long way from where we used to live in Hull. I came by car with my mum but my sister came in the removal van with my dad.

CORRECT ANSWER
Long
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot it? The word 'long' is an adjective, not a preposition.
  • Question 10

In the following sentences, the prepositions have been underlined but there is a deliberate mistake. Find the underlined word that is not a preposition and write it in the answer box.

We always brought the cows into the barn during the winter, but in the summer they loved being outside in the fields. Our sheepdog Jessie thought she was a cow dog and used to run among the cows and round them up at milking time.

CORRECT ANSWER
Winter
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? The word 'winter' is a noun, not a preposition.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.