Explanation texts (sometimes called explanatory texts) explain how or why something happens.
Examples could include 'How a hovercraft works' or 'How bees make honey.'
They often have the following features.
1) The opening sentence introduces the topic to be explained.
2) This is followed by a series of steps to explain how or why things happen.
3) They usually contain sequencing connectives (e.g. first, next, finally) and cause and effect connectives (e.g. because,as a consequence of this).
4) They are usually written in the present tense.
5) They often contain passive sentences. (e.g. Honey is made by bees.)
6) Diagrams and pictures are often used.