The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Reading Poetry: 'The Soldier'

In this worksheet, students read the poem 'The Soldier' by Rupert Brooke and answer the questions to demonstrate their understanding of the text.

'Reading Poetry: 'The Soldier'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:  Reading

Curriculum subtopic:  Check Understanding

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Read this World War One poem by Rupert Brooke:

The Soldier

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

Now answer the following questions on the poem. If you need to read it again as you go through the worksheet, you can click on the Help button.

This poem has fourteen lines - with eight lines, then a gap, then six more lines. What is this type of poem called?

a limerick

a haiku

a sonnet

This style of poetry is often used to write love poems. If this is a love poem, who (or what) is the writer in love with?

Millions of soldiers died in the First World War and many were never named. Their families never knew where they died or what really happened to them. How is the poem supposed to help people who were grieving back home for loved ones?

It proves that they died for a reason.

It shows that they should move on with their lives.

It says that there will be a bit of ground which will be English forever, because an Englishman died there.

At the time of the war, England was a divided country; there were many problems and conflicts. However, in the poem, Brooke imagines a perfect country where everything is positive. Which of the following things are part of the real England at the time, and which are part of Brooke's imagined England?

The real England The imagined England
suffragettes
strikes
friends
laughter
poverty
sunshine
gentleness
poor education

Other readers might think about this poem in a different way. They might say that Brooke's version of England is true for him, because people who came from higher class families, who had money and servants etc. did have a very good life before the war.

Write the missing word in this statement (write the WHOLE word).

If a young man came from this sort of background, when he joined the army he would have been made an O___________.

Brooke uses a literary technique here: "Her sights and sounds" to talk about England. Which technique is this?

personification

onomatopoeia

simile

Brooke says that although the foreign ground might be 'rich', it will be 'richer' if there is the body of an Englishman beneath it. What kind of word is 'richer' here?

superlative

comparative

metaphor

Which of the following sentences is the best overall summary of what this poem is all about?

If I die, at least England will win the war in the end.

If I die, it might inspire other people to fight in the war.

If I die, remember that I'll be lying with all my good memories of home.

• Question 1

This poem has fourteen lines - with eight lines, then a gap, then six more lines. What is this type of poem called?

CORRECT ANSWER
a sonnet
  • Question 2

This style of poetry is often used to write love poems. If this is a love poem, who (or what) is the writer in love with?

CORRECT ANSWER
England
EDDIE SAYS
Rupert Brooke writes about his love for his country.
  • Question 3

Millions of soldiers died in the First World War and many were never named. Their families never knew where they died or what really happened to them. How is the poem supposed to help people who were grieving back home for loved ones?

CORRECT ANSWER
It says that there will be a bit of ground which will be English forever, because an Englishman died there.
  • Question 4

At the time of the war, England was a divided country; there were many problems and conflicts. However, in the poem, Brooke imagines a perfect country where everything is positive. Which of the following things are part of the real England at the time, and which are part of Brooke's imagined England?

CORRECT ANSWER
 The real England The imagined England
suffragettes
strikes
friends
laughter
poverty
sunshine
gentleness
poor education
  • Question 5

Other readers might think about this poem in a different way. They might say that Brooke's version of England is true for him, because people who came from higher class families, who had money and servants etc. did have a very good life before the war.

Write the missing word in this statement (write the WHOLE word).

If a young man came from this sort of background, when he joined the army he would have been made an O___________.

CORRECT ANSWER
Officer
EDDIE SAYS
People who came from wealthier backgrounds were often given positions of higher rank than those who came from families with little money.
  • Question 6

Brooke uses a literary technique here: "Her sights and sounds" to talk about England. Which technique is this?

CORRECT ANSWER
personification
EDDIE SAYS
He refers to England as a woman, which emphasises the gentle and beautiful image of England that he portrays throughout the poem.
  • Question 7

Brooke says that although the foreign ground might be 'rich', it will be 'richer' if there is the body of an Englishman beneath it. What kind of word is 'richer' here?

CORRECT ANSWER
comparative
  • Question 8

Which of the following sentences is the best overall summary of what this poem is all about?

CORRECT ANSWER
If I die, remember that I'll be lying with all my good memories of home.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1