Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Compare Language in 'Before You Were Mine' and Other Poems

In this worksheet, students will practise their language comparison skills between 'Before You Were Mine' and other poems in the Love and Relationships cluster.

'Compare Language in 'Before You Were Mine' and Other Poems' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

Year:  GCSE

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   AQA

Curriculum topic:   Poetry

Curriculum subtopic:   Love and Relationships: 'Before You Were Mine'

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

In this activity, you'll learn to practise comparing the way the poets use language to convey different/similar attitudes and ideas in 'Before You Were Mine', and other poems in your 'Love and Relationships' cluster.

Thought bubble

In your exam, you'll do really well to compare the way that poets use language to present their attitudes. You'll do even better if you can compare the way they use language to show different/similar attitudes and ideas. You'll do the best if you can compare the language that is used and how it is used.

Here's an example of some good language comparison:

In 'Before You Were Mine', Duffy uses the adjectives "loud" and "possessive" as a way of describing her role as a dominating presence in her mother's life. However, in 'Mother, Any Distance', Armitage uses the adjective "endless" in "endless sky to fall or fly" to signify the potential ahead of him, as he leaves his mother and becomes independent. Where Duffy uses adjectives to portray herself as possessive and clingy, Armitage's use of adjective suggests that he has broken away from his mother, who is the possessive one in the relationship. The use of "endless" signifies his freedom away from his mother's "anchoring" presence.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents