Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Analyse the Language in 'Checking Out Me History'

In this worksheet, students will analyse the language devices used in the poem 'Checking Out Me History' by John Agard. Students will also gain an understanding of the wider context of the poem.

'Analyse the Language in 'Checking Out Me History' ' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

Year:  GCSE

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   AQA

Curriculum topic:   Poetry

Curriculum subtopic:   Power and Conflict: 'Checking Out Me History'

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

For this activity, you will need to turn to the poem 'Checking Out Me History' by John Agard, which can be found in the Power and Conflict section of your Anthology.

tropical island

'Checking Out Me History' looks at how identity is created through history. 

The poem gives examples of powerful black figures from history, often involved in conflicts themselves in one way or another.

Noticeably, the poet emphasises how we often celebrate our eurocentric national or cultural history, without looking at the history and culture of those we historically oppressed.

In the following questions, you will be asked to analyse the language devices used in the poem.

You should always refer to your own text when working through these examples.  These quotations are for reference only.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents