Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Identify and Explain Key Quotations in 'Climbing My Grandfather'

In this worksheet, students will revise key quotes in the poem 'Climbing My Grandfather' (by Andrew Waterhouse) as part of the 'Love and Relationships' anthology cluster.

'Identify and Explain Key Quotations in 'Climbing My Grandfather'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

Year:  GCSE

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   AQA

Curriculum topic:   Poetry

Curriculum subtopic:   Love and Relationships: 'Climbing My Grandfather'

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

Ready to see how to find and explain key quotes in the poem 'Climbing My Grandfather'? Then open your anthology and let's get started!

Here's a quick recap of the poem: 

'Climbing My Grandfather', written by Andrew Waterhouse, uses extended metaphor as its main device. The speaker 'climbs' his grandfather, getting to know him better.

Mountain range

This is, perhaps, a nostalgic poem about an imposing grandfather and childhood memories. Waterhouse uses imagery and symbolism of mountaineering to showcase a close relationship between the speaker and his grandfather.

This activity should help you revise some key quotes and deepen your understanding of the poem. In the following questions, you'll be given a quote from the poem, and you'll be asked to identify the poet's meaning/s behind the quote.

Spiral notebook with pen

It may be useful to write the quotes down as you do this exercise, so you can remember them later! You might also take note of some of the teacher's explanations, as they highlight important points you will want to keep in mind for the exam.

You should always refer to your own text when working through these examples.  These quotations are for reference only.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents