The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Compare Content in 'London' and Other Poems

In this worksheet, students will compare 'London' to other poems. The activity will allow the student to begin practising forming content-based links between poems.

'Compare Content in 'London' and Other Poems' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   AQA, Pearson Edexcel

Curriculum topic:   Poetry, Poetry Anthology Collections

Curriculum subtopic:   Power and Conflict: 'London', Time and Place: 'London'

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Want to begin to revise your comparative skills between 'London' and other poems (in the Power and Conflict cluster)?

Thought bubble

In this activity, we will be jogging your memory with comparing the content of 'London' with the poems you best see fit out of the options you get given. 

Before we begin, here's a quick list of the key content you could talk about and use to compare with other poems:

Power

Society

Confinement

Class systems

Freedom

Innocence

Metaphor

Present-tense verbs

You can definitely think of any other themes which you think Blake uses, as long as you have the evidence to show that it is a recurring topic in the poem!

Remember: take your time, as there's no rush and make sure to jot down any explanations which you find helpful.

What one poem from the cluster would you compare 'London' with?

Think about the theme of power and corruption.

'Kamikaze'

'Remains'

'Ozymandias'

Extract from 'The Prelude'

Which one poem from the cluster would you compare 'London' with?

Think about anger towards authoritative figures.

'Checking Out Me History'

'Storm on the Island'

'War Photographer'

'Exposure'

What one poem from the cluster would you compare 'London' with?​

Think about a semantic field of death.

'The Emigree'

'War Photographer'

'The Emigree'

'Ozymandias'

What poem from the cluster would you compare 'London' with?​

Think about the theme of innocence. 

'Ozymandias'

'My Last Duchess'

'Charge of the Light Brigade'

'The Emigree'

What two poems from the cluster would you compare 'London' with?​

Think about the theme of power.

There are two right answers.

'Storm on the island'

'Ozymandias'

'Bayonet Charge'

'Poppies'

'My Last Duchess'

'War Photographer'

Link the ideas in each poem which you think match up best with 'Ozymandias'. 

HINT: some of these ideas match with more than one poem in the table.

Extract from 'The Prelude''Kamikaze''Storm on the Island''My Last Duchess'
Sibilance
Theme of nature
Theme of power
Natural imagery

Link the ideas in each poem which you think matches up best with 'London'.

MetaphorsImagery of deathEmotive language
'My Last Duchess'
'Tissue'
'War Photographer'

Link 'London' to one other poem in the cluster which shows prejudice.

'Kamikaze'

'Ozymandias'

'Exposure'

Pick the one option which you think showcases how 'London' and 'Charge Of the Light Brigadecould be compared.

Pick the answer which you think best shows the similarity between the two poems.

Both poems use a semantic field of success and victory

Both poems are about war

Both poems make reference to the role of soldiers and their heroic sacrifices

Last question! 

Tick the four poems that you think are the easiest to compare to 'London'.

Hint: think about if these poems show similar ideas to Blake's poem.

Think about power, class systems and lexical fields/themes of death and innocence.

'Ozymandias'

'Storm on the island'

'Bayonet Charge'

'Exposure'

Extract from 'The Prelude'

'War Photographer'

'Poppies'

• Question 1

What one poem from the cluster would you compare 'London' with?

Think about the theme of power and corruption.

CORRECT ANSWER
'Ozymandias'
EDDIE SAYS
If we are considering the theme of power and corruption, 'London' compares well to 'Ozymandias'. They both portray power concentrated in one person/organisation (for example, in Ozymandias himself, or the upper-class citizens and government of London). Think about how both poems present the effects of corruption. In 'London', the lower-class citizens suffer, whereas in 'Ozymandias', it's Ozymandias himself who suffers the consequences.
  • Question 2

Which one poem from the cluster would you compare 'London' with?

Think about anger towards authoritative figures.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
'Checking Out Me History' is one of the best ones to compare to 'London' in terms of anger towards those with authority. Both poems express the flaws of those with power (the government, educational institutes, etc.). How are the two poems different though? What about the form? The way the two poems differentiate in stanza length? What effect does this have on the overall content of the two poems?
  • Question 3

What one poem from the cluster would you compare 'London' with?​

Think about a semantic field of death.

CORRECT ANSWER
'War Photographer'
EDDIE SAYS
Out of all the poems, 'London' compares best with 'War Photographer', in terms of a semantic field of death. Both highlight the death of the innocent (soldiers and citizens) through death-related imagery and metaphors.
  • Question 4

What poem from the cluster would you compare 'London' with?​

Think about the theme of innocence. 

CORRECT ANSWER
'The Emigree'
EDDIE SAYS
'The Emigree' is similar to 'London' when we look at the theme of innocence. Both refer to the innocence of people, who ultimately suffer as a consequence of corruption/war. However, thinking about how the two poems differ, 'The Emigree' refers to the innocence of the speaker's childhood-self. 'London' focuses on a larger group of innocents who will suffer the impact of poverty.
  • Question 5

What two poems from the cluster would you compare 'London' with?​

Think about the theme of power.

There are two right answers.

CORRECT ANSWER
'Ozymandias'
'My Last Duchess'
EDDIE SAYS
Each of these poems tackles the issue of power, whether it may be power in one person (like in 'Ozymandias' and 'My Last Duchess'), or power in a large organisation (like in 'London'). The effects of power in all three poems do not look good to a reader, with the consequences being detrimental to the speakers themselves, or a large group of people (like the lower-class citizens in 'London').
  • Question 6

Link the ideas in each poem which you think match up best with 'Ozymandias'. 

CORRECT ANSWER
 Extract from 'The Prelude''Kamikaze''Storm on the Island''My Last Duchess'
Sibilance
Theme of nature
Theme of power
Natural imagery
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? Filling out tables like these will allow you to categorise which themes poems within the cluster share. Think about why and how these ideas/themes match up and what evidence you could pick to support the fact that the poems share the same themes/ideas. Think about how these themes/ideas are represented. How are they presented? How do they differ? What tone/language/devices are used?
  • Question 7

Link the ideas in each poem which you think matches up best with 'London'.

CORRECT ANSWER
 MetaphorsImagery of deathEmotive language
'My Last Duchess'
'Tissue'
'War Photographer'
EDDIE SAYS
This one's a bit tricky, so well done for having a go! Filling out tables like these will allow you to categorise which themes poems within the cluster share. Think about why and how these ideas/themes match up and what evidence you could pick to support the fact that the poems share the same themes/ideas. Think about how these themes/ideas are represented. How are they presented? How do they differ? What tone/language/devices are used?
  • Question 8

Link 'London' to one other poem in the cluster which shows prejudice.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
'London' and 'Checking Out Me History' both present the theme of prejudice. In 'Checking Out Me History', this prejudice is racial- John Agard is writing about his history as a black Guyanese man, which has been erased by the western world. Race, identity and politics are addressed in the poem.
  • Question 9

Pick the one option which you think showcases how 'London' and 'Charge Of the Light Brigadecould be compared.

Pick the answer which you think best shows the similarity between the two poems.

CORRECT ANSWER
Both poems make reference to the role of soldiers and their heroic sacrifices
EDDIE SAYS
Evaluating how the poet presents ideas is a crucial part of comparing poetry! Practice your skills of deducing how certain attitudes are presented similarly and differently, and you'll soar in the comparison part of the exam! Let's look at how the poems are similar- both poems refer to the hopelessness of certain groups of people (the soldiers in 'Charge of the Light Brigade', and the lower-class citizens in 'London'). Both groups of people inevitably must follow orders from the people above them. There is also a similar semantic field of death in both poems. Now let's see how the poems differ. 'London' emphasises the misfortunes of the soldiers, targeting and highlighting the role that the corrupt government plays. 'Charge of the Light Brigade' highlights the heroic actions of the soldiers, giving the poem a more prideful and positive tone.
  • Question 10

Last question! 

Tick the four poems that you think are the easiest to compare to 'London'.

Hint: think about if these poems show similar ideas to Blake's poem.

Think about power, class systems and lexical fields/themes of death and innocence.

CORRECT ANSWER
'Ozymandias'
'Exposure'
'War Photographer'
EDDIE SAYS
There are many different poems you could relate to London, so don't worry if you didn't choose the right ones. Remember, when comparing two poems, always look at how they are similar and different, giving evidence for each point you make (quotes). You can compare poems if they have similar language techniques and/or similar themes! You're on a roll! Why not have a go at another activity?
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.