Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Compare Language in 'My Last Duchess' and other Poems

In this worksheet, students will practise their language comparison skills between 'My Last Duchess' and other poems.

'Compare Language in 'My Last Duchess' and other Poems' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 4

Year:  GCSE

GCSE Subjects:   English Literature

GCSE Boards:   AQA, Pearson Edexcel,

Curriculum topic:   Poetry, Poetry Anthology Collections

Curriculum subtopic:   Power and Conflict: 'My Last Duchess' Relationships: 'My Last Duchess'

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

Want to compare your language comparison skills in 'My Last Duchess' and other poems?

Thought bubble

Well, you've come to the right place. In this activity, you'll learn to practice comparing the way the poets use language to convey different and similar attitudes and ideas. 

In your exam, you'll do really well to compare the way that poets use language to present their attitudes. You'll do even better if you can compare the way they use language to present different/similar attitudes and ideas. You'll do the best if you can compare the language that is used and how it's used.

Here's an example of some good language comparison:

In 'My Last Duchess' Browning uses the repetition of the personal pronoun "my" to emphasise the Duke's arrogance. In fact, the poem begins "that's my last Duchess", which immediately presents the Duchess as the Duke's possession, suggesting that he is controlling and believes that the Duchess, even in death, is his object. Similarly, Blake in 'London' employs repetition to emphasise certain words; "cry" "marks" and "chartered" are repeated. In Blake's case, repetition of these words emphasises the suffering of the lower-class.

You should always refer to your own text when working through these examples. These quotations are for reference only.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents