Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Reading Non-Fiction: Daddy Daycare

Worksheet Overview

Read this article about fathers becoming more involved in the day-to-day care of their children. You will then be asked questions related to the article. You can view the article again as you work through the questions by clicking on the Help button.

Daddy Daycare?

There is a growing movement, especially amongst middle class modern men, to take a greater involvement in the day-to-day raising of their children. Great, you might think, and in many ways it is: the previous generation has suffered by having stand-offish fathers who were only called on to write cheques or to discipline their brood. However, there are those who worry that this new trend is going a step too far and could spell danger for our industry and businesses. Bill O'Toole is a part-time cook and dad to two small children: “I didn't want to work full-time after my kids were born, I wanted to share in bringing them up. My partner and I share the childcare and it works for us.” This may sound ideal, a 50-50 arrangement where everyone is happy.

However, Patrick Cannon has a different view. He is company director for a chain of 100 retail stores: “I want my staff to be happy and productive. But I have a major problem with women going off on maternity leave, I still have to pay them and often they turn around and say they're not coming back. Now I'm starting to have the same issues with men. I need people who are fully committed to the job, not who quit just because they 'don't want' to work.”

With the country in recession, don't we need to seriously look at people's work ethic here?

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents