Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Calculate a Percentage Decrease

In this worksheet, students will calculate a percentage decrease

'Calculate a Percentage Decrease' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Year:  Year 7 Maths worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Number

Curriculum subtopic:   Define, Interpret and Compare Percentages

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

This activity is about calculating a percentage decrease.

We are using a calculator for this activity!


purple calculator


We can see percentage decreases everywhere.

A common place to see them is in shops when they have a sale!


notice 20% sale


We can calculate simple percentage decreases easily without a calculator.

For example, a pair of trainers were £60 but there was 20% off in the sale.


We can work out 20% of 60 and subtract the answer from 60.

So, 10% of 60 = £6

20% = 2 x 10% = 2 x £6 = £12

Sale price = £60 - £12 = £48  


pair of trainers


When they get a little more tricky, like a 47% decrease, it is easier and quicker to use a multiplier and a calculator!

Recap - the multiplier is basically, the decimal!



Decrease 35 ml by 15%.



To find 15% it is 15/100 = 15 ÷ 100 =  0.15 as a decimal.

If we decrease by 15% then we want the other 85%. 

Decrease means we are taking away 15% so we want 85%.    


So, we could do the whole thing in one move:

A decrease of 15% means 100% - 15%  = 85% =  0.85

 0.85 x 35 ml to get the 15% decrease.

35 ml x 0.85  = 29.75 ml


It is a bit tricky, but it will become easier with practice.


boy thinking


Let's try some questions.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started

Try an activity or get started for free

  • National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents