The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Solve Alphabetical Sequences using Double Letter Pairs in Both Directions

In this worksheet, students will solve alphabetical sequences involving double letter pairs in both forward and reverse motions. It will develop students’ problem solving and sequencing skills.

'Solve Alphabetical Sequences using Double Letter Pairs in Both Directions' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Letter Connections

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Letter detective, we need your help! In this activity, we will be using the alphabet to help us crack a letter code!

There are many different types of sequences. In letter pair sequences there are pairs of letters joined together by a common theme, normally the amount of space between them. Some follow a forwards sequence, while others follow a reverse alphabet sequence.

Here is the alphabet for you to use as a reference:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Look at the following letter sequence:

US is to QO as MK is to ___?

First, we have to work out how the first letter of the first pair (US) gets to the first letter of the second pair (QO).

To get from U to Q, we jump 4 places to the left.

Then we have to work out how the second letter of the first pair gets to the second letter of the second pair.

To get from S to O we also jump 4 places to the left.

This means we need to do the same to the letters M and K to work out the missing letters in our sequence.

This makes our missing letters IG.

So the answer is:

US is to QO as MK is to IG.

Let’s try another:

TR is to SU as BL is to ___?

To get from the first letter of the first pair to the first letter of the second pair, we jump 1 place to the left.

To get from the second letter of the first pair to the second letter of the second pair, we jump 3 places to the right.

This means we need to jump one place to the left from the letter B, giving us A and then three places to the right from L, giving us I.

So the correct answer is:

TR is to SU as BL is to AI.

In this activity, you will need to be a sequence superstar and complete the letter pairs.

Pssstt!! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

Remember to use the alphabet line to help you work out the code.

Here are two groups of letter pairs. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters. 

IV is to DM as TS is to ______ ?

Use your detective skills to work out the special sequence and find the missing letter pair.

Z Y X W V U T S R Q P O N M L K J I H G F E D C B A

TOP TIP: Some of the questions in this activity will follow the mirror image sequenceIf the sequence is not forwards/backwards jumps in the alphabet, then it will be a mirror image sequence

Here are two groups of letter pairs. Each group follows the same special sequence, but with different letters. 

TX is to GF as SW is to __ ?

Use your detective skills to work out the special sequence and find the missing letter pair.

TOP TIP: Some of the questions in this activity will follow the mirror image sequenceIf the sequence is not forwards/backwards jumps in the alphabet, then it will be a mirror image sequence

JO is to QA as CG is to ______ ?

You may use the alphabet chart below to help you:

TOP TIP: Some of the questions in this activity will follow the mirror image sequenceIf the sequence is not forwards/backwards jumps in the alphabet, then it will be a mirror image sequence.

KS is to AD as UL is to ______ ?

TOP TIP: Some of the questions in this activity will follow the mirror image sequenceIf the sequence is not forwards/backwards jumps in the alphabet, then it will be a mirror image sequence

ED is to VP as LQ is to ______ ?

TOP TIP: Some of the questions in this activity will follow the mirror image sequenceIf the sequence is not forwards/backwards jumps in the alphabet, then it will be a mirror image sequence.  

OY is to CB as TW is to ______ ?

GJ is to JG as ZE is to ______ ?

​TOP TIP: Some of the questions in this activity will follow the mirror image sequenceIf the sequence is not forwards/backwards jumps in the alphabet, then it will be a mirror image sequence

IC is to QL as QN is to ______ ?

WX is to MR as KH is to ______ ?

UU is to FS as RE is to ______ ? 

• Question 1

IV is to DM as TS is to ______ ?

TOP TIP: Some of the questions in this activity will follow the mirror image sequenceIf the sequence is not forwards/backwards jumps in the alphabet, then it will be a mirror image sequence

CORRECT ANSWER
OJ
EDDIE SAYS
Welcome detective! There are two different sequences going on here. The first letter in each pair follows the alphabet going backwards five jumps. The second letter follows a sequence of nine jumps backwards. Try writing down the letters as you work out the sequence, this way you won't forget it!
  • Question 2

TX is to GF as SW is to __ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
HE
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? All this jumping about can get confusing, so always write down the first letter as you go, so that you can then fully concentrate on working out the second. The first letter in each pair is a mirror image sequence. Don't forget to check for those!
The second sequence is eight jumps forward in the alphabet.
  • Question 3

JO is to QA as CG is to ______ ?

You may use the alphabet chart below to help you:

CORRECT ANSWER
XS
EDDIE SAYS
This was a tricky one, are you getting the hang of it? Using the alphabet line we need to look to see if the sequence goes forwards, backwards or is a mirrored sequence. This one was a mirrored sequence, well done if you spotted this! The first letter in each pair follows a mirror image sequence. The second letter follows a sequence of twelve jumps forwards. If you didn't get it this time, do not worry, it can take a bit of getting used to!
  • Question 4

KS is to AD as UL is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
KW
EDDIE SAYS
What a lot of jumps!
The first letter in each pair follows a sequence of ten jumps backwards in the alphabet. The second letter follows a sequence of eleven jumps forwards.
  • Question 5

ED is to VP as LQ is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
OC
EDDIE SAYS
I hope you're having lots of fun, as you're already halfway done!
The first letter in each pair follows a mirror image sequence. The second letter follows a sequence of twelve jumps forwards.
  • Question 6

OY is to CB as TW is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
HD
EDDIE SAYS
Did you work this one out? The first letter in each pair follows a sequence of twelve jumps backwards in the alphabet. The second letter follows a mirror image sequence.
  • Question 7

GJ is to JG as ZE is to ______ ?

​TOP TIP: Some of the questions in this activity will follow the mirror image sequenceIf the sequence is not forwards/backwards jumps in the alphabet, then it will be a mirror image sequence

CORRECT ANSWER
CB
EDDIE SAYS
All this jumping is tiring work! Did you spot the patterns? The first letter in each pair follows a sequence of three jumps forwards in the alphabet. The second follows a sequence of three jumps back.
  • Question 8

IC is to QL as QN is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
YW
EDDIE SAYS
Look at these letters, jumping in all directions! The first letter in each pair follows a sequence of eight jumps forwards in the alphabet. The second letter follows a sequence of nine jump forwards.
  • Question 9

WX is to MR as KH is to ______ ?

CORRECT ANSWER
AB
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? The first letter in each pair has a sequence of ten jumps backwards in the alphabet. The second letter follows a sequence of six jumps back.
What could the last question be? Let's have a look and see!
  • Question 10

UU is to FS as RE is to ______ ? 

CORRECT ANSWER
IC
EDDIE SAYS
What a tricky one to finish on, how did you do? The first letter in each pair follows a mirror image sequence. The second letter follows a sequence of two jumps back. Great, all the letters have been located. Thanks for your help solving this mystery, detective!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1