The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Identify the Four Letter Word

In this worksheet, students will find hidden four-letter words which are stretched over the gaps between words in full sentences.

'Identify the Four Letter Word' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:   Hidden Word

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Word detective we need your skills.  Some of our sneaky words have run away and are hiding among other words.  With your help, we hope we can track them down.

Can you find the word sail hidden between the two words below?

serious ailment

Have you found it?!?

That’s right, it’s here:

serious ailment

This word is hidden in a _ / _ _ _ pattern.

So it is made up of the last letter of one word and the first three letters of the next word.

Let’s try another:

Can you find a four-letter word hidden between the two words below?

the attack

Did you find heat?

It is hidden in a _ _ / _ _ pattern.

So it is made from the last two letters of the first word and the first two of the second word.

the attack

Words can hide in three different patterns:

_ / _ _ _

The last letter of the first word and the first three letters of the second word.

tough elders

_ _ / _ _

The last two letters of the first word and the first two letters of the second word.

drab lesson

_ _ _ / _

The last three letters of the first word and the first letter of the second word.

war memorial

Let’s make this more challenging now!

Can you find the hidden four-letter word in the entire sentence below?

“What a superb ornament!” exclaimed Jessica. 

The hidden word is born in a _ / _ _ _ pattern.

“What a superb ornament!” exclaimed Jessica.

Pssstt!! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

Try covering all of the letters that you’re not looking at with your thumbs.  Move along the sentence so that you only see four letters at a time.

Now it’s time for you to be a hidden word detective and hunt down those sneaky words! Good luck and don’t forget to look out for the patterns.

I'm glad you're here detective!

Those pesky words have been hiding all over the place again and we need your help to find them.

The word drip is hiding between two words in the sentence below.

Find the hidden word and click on the two words that it's hiding between.

David ripped his shorts.

This time the word vest has decided to play hide and seek with the sentence below. 

Find the word vest, by trying out the different letter patterns, and underline the two words that it's hiding between.

Sheena drives too fast.

The hidden word is term this time.

Can you underline the two words that the word is hiding between?

Please enter my name.

Now for a challenge...

There is a mystery four-letter word hiding in the sentence below.

Work your way along the sentence, trying out the three-letter patterns, until you find the mystery word.

Ahmed skis so badly.

It's time to find another mystery word.

Can you spot the four-letter word that's hiding in the sentence below?

Sandra keeps chickens as pets.

Find the hidden four-letter word in the sentence below.

Old rabbits are cute.

Lop eared rabbit

This time I want you to find the mystery hidden four-letter word and underline the two words that it's hiding between.

Panda

I support the panda reserves.

Can you find the mystery four-letter word in the sentence below and underline the two words that it's hiding between?

Dog

The dog rolled over.

Look at the sentence below:

Pam assumed they were rats.

Which pair of words is the mystery four-letter word hiding between?

Pam assumed

assumed they

they were

were rats.

His enemy threw things.

Which two words is the mystery word hiding between?

His enemy

enemy threw

threw things.

• Question 1

I'm glad you're here detective!

Those pesky words have been hiding all over the place again and we need your help to find them.

The word drip is hiding between two words in the sentence below.

Find the hidden word and click on the two words that it's hiding between.

CORRECT ANSWER
David ripped his shorts.
EDDIE SAYS
Hey detective! Did you manage to find the word drip? This was hiding in a _ / _ _ _ pattern between David and rip. David ripped. Top tip - try out all three letter patterns between each pair of words until you find the hidden word. Here is a reminder of the letter patterns:
  • _ _ _ / _
  • _ _ / _ _
  • _ / _ _ _
  • Question 2

This time the word vest has decided to play hide and seek with the sentence below. 

Find the word vest, by trying out the different letter patterns, and underline the two words that it's hiding between.

CORRECT ANSWER
Sheena drives too fast.
EDDIE SAYS
Our hidden word was bang in the middle of the sentence here. Vest is hiding between drives and too in a _ _ _ / _ pattern. This uses the last three letters of drives (ves) and the first letter of too (t). drives too
  • Question 3

The hidden word is term this time.

Can you underline the two words that the word is hiding between?

CORRECT ANSWER
Please enter my name.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you try out the different letter patterns to find the hidden word here? Term is hiding in a _ _ _ / _ pattern between enter and my. enter my We have a challenge in store for you next. Prepare yourself...
  • Question 4

Now for a challenge...

There is a mystery four-letter word hiding in the sentence below.

Work your way along the sentence, trying out the three-letter patterns, until you find the mystery word.

Ahmed skis so badly.

CORRECT ANSWER
Kiss
EDDIE SAYS
Now this was a challenge! The hidden word was kiss and it was hiding in a _ _ _ / _ pattern between skis and so. It uses the last three letters of skis (kis) and the first letter of so (s). skis so The best way to find the word is to work your way across the sentence, trying out all three letter patterns between each pair of words until you find a mystery word.
  • Question 5

It's time to find another mystery word.

Can you spot the four-letter word that's hiding in the sentence below?

Sandra keeps chickens as pets.

CORRECT ANSWER
Rake
EDDIE SAYS
Did you find the hidden word? This word rake was hiding in a _ _ / _ _ pattern between Sandra and keeps. Can you see it now? Sandra keeps You can use your fingers/thumbs to cover up letters and help you focus on four letters at a time to see if they make a word.
  • Question 6

Find the hidden four-letter word in the sentence below.

Old rabbits are cute.

Lop eared rabbit

CORRECT ANSWER
Drab
EDDIE SAYS
Did you find the hidden word here? The word was drab and it was hiding in a _ / _ _ _ pattern between old and rabbits. old rabbits The word drab means dull and grey.
  • Question 7

This time I want you to find the mystery hidden four-letter word and underline the two words that it's hiding between.

Panda

CORRECT ANSWER
I support the panda reserves.
EDDIE SAYS
Here, the mystery word was hiding between panda and reserves. Which pattern is it hiding in? The word is dare and it's hiding in a _ _ / _ _ pattern. panda reserves Pandas are my favourite animal!
  • Question 8

Can you find the mystery four-letter word in the sentence below and underline the two words that it's hiding between?

Dog

CORRECT ANSWER
The dog rolled over.
EDDIE SAYS
The word was sneakily hiding between rolled and over. Can you see it? The mystery word was dove and it was in a _ / _ _ _ pattern. rolled over The word dove is a homonym as it can be two different words which are pronounced slightly differently. Dove - as in the white bird. Dove - as in the past tense of dive (I dove into the pool). Which dove did you think of first?
  • Question 9

Pam assumed they were rats.

Which pair of words is the mystery four-letter word hiding between?

CORRECT ANSWER
Pam assumed
EDDIE SAYS
Sometimes in this type of question, it's easier to find the hidden word by just looking at the answer options, as this lets you focus on two words at a time. Then you can try out all of the letter patterns between each pair of words. The mystery word was mass and it was hiding in a _ / _ _ _ pattern between Pam and assumed. Pam assumed
  • Question 10

His enemy threw things.

Which two words is the mystery word hiding between?

CORRECT ANSWER
enemy threw
EDDIE SAYS
The mystery word was myth and it is hiding between enemy and threw. Can you see it now? It's hiding in a _ _ / _ _ pattern. enemy threw Myth was hard to spot. Try and imagine the letters squashed together, without the space in between, to help you see the whole word. Fantastic detective work, well done!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.