The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Identify the Four Letter Word

In this worksheet, students will find hidden four-letter words which are stretched over the gaps between words in full sentences.

'Identify the Four Letter Word' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Verbal Reasoning

Curriculum subtopic:  Hidden Word

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Word detective we need your skills.  Some of our sneaky words have run away and are hiding amongst other words.  With your help we hope we can track them down.

Can you find the word sail hidden between the two words below?

serious ailment

Have you found it?!?

That’s right, it’s here:

serious ailment

This word is hidden in a _ / _ _ _ pattern.

So it is made up of the last letter of one word and the first three letters of the next word.

Let’s try another:

Can you find a four-letter word hidden between the two words below?

the attack

Did you find heat?

It is hidden in a _ _ / _ _ pattern.

So it is made from the last two letters of the first word and the first two of the second word.

the attack

Words can hide in three different patterns:

_ / _ _ _

The last letter of the first word and the first three letters of the second word.

tough elders

_ _ / _ _

The last two letters of the first word and the first two letters of the second word.

drab lesson

_ _ _ / _

The last three letters of the first word and the first letter of the second word.

war memorial

Let’s make this more challenging now!

Can you find the hidden four-letter word in the entire sentence below?

“What a superb ornament!” exclaimed Jessica. 

The hidden word is born in a _ / _ _ _ pattern.

“What a superb ornament!” exclaimed Jessica.

Pssstt!! Here’s a handy hint to help you reach superstar status:

Try covering all of the letters that you’re not looking at with your thumbs.  Move along the sentence so that you only see four letters at a time.

Now it’s time for you to be a hidden word detective and hunt down those sneaky words! Good luck and don’t forget to look out for the patterns.

You're just in time detective! A group of mischievous four-letter words have been playing hide and seek again and your mission is to track down these words.

The word solo is hiding between two words in the sentence below.

Find the hidden word and click on the two words that it's hiding between.

I also lose my keys a lot.

This time the word skin has been up to no good.

Can you find the word in the sentence below and underline the two words that it's hiding between. 

There\'s a risk in the desert.

The hidden word is heat this time. Can you underline the two words that heat is hiding between?

He attacked the dragon.

Here's the challenge...

There is a mystery four-letter word hiding in the sentence below. Use your detective skills to find the word and type it in.

She ached everywhere.

It's time to find another misbehaving word. Type in the four-letter word that's hiding in the sentence below. 

The kangaroos hopped away.

Find the hidden four-letter word in the sentence below and type it in the box.

I love alliteration phrases.

This time, I want you to track down the mystery four-letter word and then underline the two words that it's hiding between.

The coffee tumbled on the floor.

Can you find the mystery four-letter word in the sentence below and underline the two words that it's hiding between?

She was hurt on the ride.

Look at the sentence below:

I like to watch old shows.

Which pair of words is the mystery four-letter word hiding between?

I like

like to

to watch

watch old

old shows

My mate asked me two questions.

Which pair of words is the mystery word hiding between?

My mate

mate asked

asked me

me two

two questions

• Question 1

You're just in time detective! A group of mischievous four-letter words have been playing hide and seek again and your mission is to track down these words.

The word solo is hiding between two words in the sentence below.

Find the hidden word and click on the two words that it's hiding between.

CORRECT ANSWER
I also lose my keys a lot.
EDDIE SAYS
Hey word detective! Did you manage to find the word solo? This was hiding in a _ _ / _ _ pattern between also and lose. also lose Make sure that you try out all three letter patterns between each pair of words. Here's a reminder of the letter patterns.
  • _ _ _ / _
  • _ _ / _ _
  • _ / _ _ _
  • Question 2

This time the word skin has been up to no good.

Can you find the word in the sentence below and underline the two words that it's hiding between. 

CORRECT ANSWER
There's a risk in the desert.
EDDIE SAYS
The sneaky hidden word was in the middle of the sentence here. The word skin is hiding in a _ _ / _ _ pattern between risk and in. This uses the last two letters of risk (sk) and the first two letters of in (in). risk in
  • Question 3

The hidden word is heat this time. Can you underline the two words that heat is hiding between?

CORRECT ANSWER
He attacked the dragon.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you try out all three letter patterns to find the hidden word? The word heat is hiding in a _ _ / _ _ pattern between he and attacked. he attacked We've warmed your eyes up ready for the next challenge...
  • Question 4

Here's the challenge...

There is a mystery four-letter word hiding in the sentence below. Use your detective skills to find the word and type it in.

She ached everywhere.

CORRECT ANSWER
Each
EDDIE SAYS
This was an exciting challenge! If you work your way across the sentence, trying out all three letter patterns between each pair of words, you will find the hidden word. The word was each and it's hiding between she and ached in a _ / _ _ _ pattern. This uses the last letter of she (e) and the first three letters of ached (ach). she ached
  • Question 5

It's time to find another misbehaving word. Type in the four-letter word that's hiding in the sentence below. 

The kangaroos hopped away.

CORRECT ANSWER
Shop
EDDIE SAYS
Did you track down the mystery hidden word here? This time, the word shop was hiding in a _ / _ _ _ pattern between kangaroos and hopped. kangaroos hopped. You can use your fingers or thumbs to cover up letters to help you focus on four letters at a time. If you are working on a touch-screen you can always write the sentence on a piece of paper.
  • Question 6

Find the hidden four-letter word in the sentence below and type it in the box.

I love alliteration phrases.

CORRECT ANSWER
Veal
EDDIE SAYS
This was a challenge as you may not recognise the hidden word! The hidden word was veal and it was hiding in a _ _ / _ _ pattern between love and alliteration. love alliteration Veal is the name of the meat from a calf (young cow).
  • Question 7

This time, I want you to track down the mystery four-letter word and then underline the two words that it's hiding between.

CORRECT ANSWER
The coffee tumbled on the floor.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you spot the hidden word? It's hiding between coffee and tumbled. The word is feet and it's hiding in a _ _ _ / _ pattern. coffee tumbled Coffee stains! I hope they clean that up quick!
  • Question 8

Can you find the mystery four-letter word in the sentence below and underline the two words that it's hiding between?

CORRECT ANSWER
She was hurt on the ride.
EDDIE SAYS
This mystery word was sneakily hiding between was and hurt. Can you see it? This word was wash and it's in a _ _ _ / _ pattern. was hurt
  • Question 9

I like to watch old shows.

Which pair of words is the mystery four-letter word hiding between?

CORRECT ANSWER
watch old
EDDIE SAYS
With this kind of layout, it can be easier to find the hidden word by just looking at the answer options. This way you can focus on two words at a time and try out the three different letter patterns between each pair. There mystery word here was hold and it's hiding between watch and old. watch old
  • Question 10

My mate asked me two questions.

Which pair of words is the mystery word hiding between?

CORRECT ANSWER
mate asked
EDDIE SAYS
The mystery word was hiding between mate and asked. Can you see it now? It's hiding in a _ _ / _ _ pattern. This makes the word teas. mate asked Try and imagine the letters squashed together, without space in between, to help you visualise the whole word.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.

• educational
  • bettfutures
  • cxa
  • pta
  • era2016
  • BDA award
  • Explore LearningTuition Partner
  • tacm