The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Understand Antonyms 1

In this worksheet, students practise identifying antonyms.

'Understand Antonyms 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   English

Curriculum subtopic:   Grammar: Synonyms & Antonyms

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

An antonym is a word with an opposite meaning to that of another word.

for example: sad and happy

Match the antonyms in these lists.

Column A

Column B

long
young
fat
thin
old
small
big
dead
alive
short

Column A

Column B

friend
false
true
foe
near
behind
over
under
in front of
far

Column A

Column B

hero
humble
proud
ugly
deep
shallow
absent
present
beautiful
villain

Choose the correct antonym to complete this sentence.

My brother is tall but my sister is ______.

thin

fat

short

young

My auntie has gone into hospital. She thought she was having a major operation but it turns out that it is only a ______ one.

big

minor

serious

painful

After he failed his exams last year, my brother finally ______ them this year.

passed

did

got

corrected

We are in the wrong part of the airport! This is the departures not the ______.

flights

incoming

arrivals

landings

I think that Billy has a negative influence on you but Keaton has a ______ one.

good

better

positive

bad

The foolish man built his house upon the sand but the ______ one built his on the rocks.

silly

wise

good

stupid

Please don't use that door. It is the exit, not the ______.

back door

front door

way out

entrance

• Question 1

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

long
short
fat
thin
old
young
big
small
alive
dead
EDDIE SAYS
Great to see you having a go. Antonyms are opposites. So you need to match up the words that have the opposite meaning. If you are unsure about any meanings you can use a dictionary to look up what they mean. \'Long\' means something that can be a great distance or taking a great amount of time. To find the opposite meaning think about which word has an opposing meaning. \'Short\' means measuring a small distance or a small amount of time. \'Long\' and \'short\' are antonyms, they have opposite meanings.
  • Question 2

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

friend
foe
true
false
near
far
over
under
in front of
behind
EDDIE SAYS
Great effort. Go through each option and think about which words are linked by having the opposite meaning. Keep it up!
  • Question 3

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

hero
villain
proud
humble
deep
shallow
absent
present
beautiful
ugly
EDDIE SAYS
Fantastic! Keep looking for those opposites. Which words mean opposing things. Remember to look up any meanings you are unsure of in a dictionary. The trick is to start with the words you know first. Match those up and then move on to the ones you are unsure of. Think about which words they could be matched to out of the options left.
  • Question 4

My brother is tall but my sister is ______.

CORRECT ANSWER
short
EDDIE SAYS
Super effort! Here you need to identify the opposite meaning to \'tall\'. Read through all the options given first, to decide which one fits best. The sentence is describing the height of children so \'short\' is the best antonym for \'tall\'.
  • Question 5

My auntie has gone into hospital. She thought she was having a major operation but it turns out that it is only a ______ one.

CORRECT ANSWER
minor
EDDIE SAYS
The trick here is to read through the sentence and decide what the sentence is talking about? In this example the subject of the sentence is an operation. You need to decide which type of operation it is. The clue is the word \'major\'. \'Major\' means big. What is the opposite of \'major\'? The antonym of \'major is \'minor\' as this means small. It was actually a small operation.
  • Question 6

After he failed his exams last year, my brother finally ______ them this year.

CORRECT ANSWER
passed
EDDIE SAYS
Keep up the great effort! Again identify what the subject of the sentence is. In this example it is failing exams. What is the opposite of failing? Look at all your options and decide which one is the most suitable. \'Passing\' is the opposite of failing. The sentence should read \'After he failed his exams last year, my brother finally passed them this year.\'
  • Question 7

We are in the wrong part of the airport! This is the departures not the ______.

CORRECT ANSWER
arrivals
EDDIE SAYS
A little bit trickier here. You still follow the same steps. Read through the sentence. The sentence has told the reader they are in departures and that is the wrong part of the airport. We need to decide what the correct part of the airport would be. We are looking for the antonym of \'departures\'. What does \'departures\' mean? Once you know this information you can see that \'arrivals\' is the correct option. You got this!
  • Question 8

I think that Billy has a negative influence on you but Keaton has a ______ one.

CORRECT ANSWER
positive
EDDIE SAYS
Good job! Now although some of these options may have similar meanings, you need to decide which is the most opposite in meaning. In this example we are looking for the opposite meaning to \'negative\'. \'Positive\' is the correct answer.
  • Question 9

The foolish man built his house upon the sand but the ______ one built his on the rocks.

CORRECT ANSWER
wise
EDDIE SAYS
Look at the word used to describe the first man, \'foolish\'. The connective \'but\' shows us that the second man is being described in a different way. Although our options may have similar meanings, you need to decide on the option that would be the exact opposite. \'Wise\' is the correct antonym.
  • Question 10

Please don't use that door. It is the exit, not the ______.

CORRECT ANSWER
entrance
EDDIE SAYS
You got the hang of this now? We are looking for the word with the opposite meaning to \'exit\' Think about what exit means, look through your options. Which word is most opposite in meaning. \'Entrance\' is the correct antonym.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.