The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Know Your Roots: 'tele' and 'scope'

In this worksheet, students learn and practise spelling words with the prefix tele- and the suffix -scope.

'Know Your Roots: 'tele' and 'scope'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  English

Curriculum subtopic:  Spelling: Prefixes & Suffixes

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Many words in English are based on the same root words, and knowing what these mean can help us with spellings.

The word 'telescope' is based on two Greek words, the prefix 'tele' (meaning 'far away') and the suffix 'scope' (meaning 'seeing').

There are many other words in English with these roots.

for example:

television

telephone

microscope

kaleidoscope

Match these words with their definitions. You may need to use a dictionary if you are not familiar with them.

Pay close attention to the spellings of the words as you will need them in later questions!

Column A

Column B

telepathy
a message sent along a wire
telephone
communication from one person\'s mind to another w...
telecommunications
electronic systems used for transmitting messages
telegram
a machine that allows people to talk to each other...

Match these words with their definitions. You may need to use a dictionary if you are not familiar with them.

Pay close attention to the spellings of the words as you will need them in later questions!

Column A

Column B

stethoscope
a medical instrument used for listening to sounds ...
kaleidoscope
an instrument that uses mirrors to allow someone t...
periscope
a tube that produces symmetrical patterns by refle...
microscope
an instrument that magnifies very small objects, m...

Write the missing word to complete the sentence. Think carefully about the spellings!

The doctor listened to my heart with her __________.

Write the missing word to complete the sentence. Think carefully about the spellings!

The sailors in the submarine raised their __________ to monitor the enemy ship that was approaching.

My great grandmother received a __________ from the queen on her one hundredth birthday.

You would be fitter if you played sport instead of just watching it on __________!

If you look at Mars through a __________, you can see its reddish colour.

My sister and her friend claim that they can share each other's thoughts using __________, but I don't believe them.

We looked at the insects under a __________ so we could see them in more detail.

My little brother loves his __________. He keeps turning the tube to make different patterns.

• Question 1

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

telepathy
communication from one person\'s ...
telephone
a machine that allows people to t...
telecommunications
electronic systems used for trans...
telegram
a message sent along a wire
EDDIE SAYS
The prefix tele- in the word \'telepathy\' is pronounced differently from the other words. The stress is on the second syllable. However, in the adjective \'telepathic\' the stress is on the first syllable!
  • Question 2

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

stethoscope
a medical instrument used for lis...
kaleidoscope
a tube that produces symmetrical ...
periscope
an instrument that uses mirrors t...
microscope
an instrument that magnifies very...
EDDIE SAYS
A stethoscope is used for listening, not seeing, but the suffix \'scope\' may refer to seeing in the sense of examining something to see what is wrong.
  • Question 3

The doctor listened to my heart with her __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
stethoscope
  • Question 4

The sailors in the submarine raised their __________ to monitor the enemy ship that was approaching.

CORRECT ANSWER
periscope
  • Question 5

My great grandmother received a __________ from the queen on her one hundredth birthday.

CORRECT ANSWER
telegram
  • Question 6

You would be fitter if you played sport instead of just watching it on __________!

CORRECT ANSWER
television
  • Question 7

If you look at Mars through a __________, you can see its reddish colour.

CORRECT ANSWER
telescope
  • Question 8

My sister and her friend claim that they can share each other's thoughts using __________, but I don't believe them.

CORRECT ANSWER
telepathy
  • Question 9

We looked at the insects under a __________ so we could see them in more detail.

CORRECT ANSWER
microscope
  • Question 10

My little brother loves his __________. He keeps turning the tube to make different patterns.

CORRECT ANSWER
kaleidoscope
EDDIE SAYS
Although it is the name of a toy, the word \'kaleidoscope\' is now also used to describe things that are constantly changing. For example: My granny\'s garden is a kaleidoscope of colour throughout the summer.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.