The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Spell the Long 'ai' Phoneme 2

In this worksheet, students consider different ways of spelling the long 'ai' phoneme. The worksheet requires the student to listen to audio clips.

'Spell the Long 'ai' Phoneme 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 1

Curriculum topic:   Reading: Word Reading

Curriculum subtopic:   Grapheme Awareness

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

A phoneme is a unit of sound. The long 'ai' phoneme sounds like this: 

Sometimes the long 'ai' phoneme is spelt in different ways.

It can be spelt 'ay'.

tray

It can also be spelt 'a-e' with a consonant in between the 'a' and the 'e'.

cake

In this worksheet you can practise reading and writing these different spellings of the long 'ai' phoneme.

Tick the words in the list below that match these pictures:

spray can girl praying hay  clay 

clay

play

pray

hay

day

spray

gate ape suitcase  spade 

case

wade

plate

gate

ape

spade

Three of the 'ay' words in this list are proper words and three are not. Tick the proper words.

play

day

chay

blay

stay

mray

Three of the 'a-e' words in this list are proper words and three are not. Tick the proper words.

brave

plate

flade

dwade

game

stame

This time, listen to the sound clip and write the missing word in the answer box. Think about whether it is an 'ay' word or an 'a-e' word!

Jemima likes to __________ her violin.

Listen to the sound clip and write the missing word in the answer box. Think about whether it is an 'ay' word or an 'a-e' word!

I took my bucket and __________ to the beach.

Listen to the sound clip and write the missing word in the answer box. Think about whether it is an 'ay' word or an 'a-e' word!

My birthday __________ had six candles on it.

I am going to __________ with my granny.

The hairdresser put lots of __________ on my hair.

Don't forget to close the __________.

• Question 1

spray can girl praying hay  clay 

CORRECT ANSWER
clay
pray
hay
spray
EDDIE SAYS
Great to see you giving this a try! The thing to remember is that the letters 'a' and 'y' have teamed up to make a new sound. Together they make the long vowel sound for 'a'. This is a different sound to the short 'a' we find in the word 'pat'. When two letters come together to make a new sound we call it a digraph. Give the next question a try.
  • Question 2

gate ape suitcase  spade 

CORRECT ANSWER
case
gate
ape
spade
EDDIE SAYS
This time we are looking at another way to make the long 'a' sound. This is called a split digraph. A good way to remember which sound 'a_e' makes is to tell yourself that the 'e' makes the 'a' say it's name. So when we are sounding out 'spade' we say the long 'a' sound but do not say the 'e', as the 'e' has done it's job making the 'a' say it's name.
  • Question 3

Three of the 'ay' words in this list are proper words and three are not. Tick the proper words.

CORRECT ANSWER
play
day
stay
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? Reading each of the options and saying them aloud can help us to recognise if it is a word that we have heard before. If the word does not sound familiar to us then it is probably a made up word. You can also try and see if you can make a sentence with it. Does it fit into a sentence like a real word would?
  • Question 4

Three of the 'a-e' words in this list are proper words and three are not. Tick the proper words.

CORRECT ANSWER
brave
plate
game
EDDIE SAYS
Again in this question you need to find the words that are real. Say them aloud and see if any sound familiar to you. Can you use them in a sentence? If you can't they are probably not real words. Keep it up superstar!
  • Question 5

This time, listen to the sound clip and write the missing word in the answer box. Think about whether it is an 'ay' word or an 'a-e' word!

Jemima likes to __________ her violin.

CORRECT ANSWER
play
EDDIE SAYS
This can be tricky as both 'ay' and 'a_e' make the same sound. The trick is to remember that it is the 'ay' digraph that is used to make the long vowel sound at the end of a word. The split digraph 'a_e' is used to make the vowel sound in the middle of a word. Keep going!
  • Question 6

I took my bucket and __________ to the beach.

CORRECT ANSWER
spade
EDDIE SAYS
Listen carefully to the word. Think about where you can hear the long 'a' sound. The last sound we hear in the word 'spade' is 'd' not 'ay', so it is spelt using the split digraph 'a_e'. You have got this!
  • Question 7

My birthday __________ had six candles on it.

CORRECT ANSWER
cake
EDDIE SAYS
Have you got the hang of this yet? Always make sure you listen and say the word to yourself. Where can you hear the long 'a' sound? The position of a sound can be a great clue in letting you know which letters are used to make that sound. The word 'cake' uses the split digraph 'a_e'.
  • Question 8

I am going to __________ with my granny.

CORRECT ANSWER
stay
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it right? We can hear the long 'a' sound at the end of the word which means the 'ay' digraph is used to spell the word. Not many more to go now! Try the next question!
  • Question 9

The hairdresser put lots of __________ on my hair.

CORRECT ANSWER
spray
EDDIE SAYS
Did you use the correct digraph? Remember when we can hear the long 'a' sound at the end of a word it is the 'ay' digraph that we use. Give the last question a try!
  • Question 10

Don't forget to close the __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
gate
EDDIE SAYS
Last question! How did you do? The last sound we can hear in the word 'gate' is the 't' sound, so we know that it will not be the 'ay' digraph. The word 'gate' uses the split digraph 'a_e'. High five for effort!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.