The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Spelling Sounds v (ve)

In this worksheet, students will practice spelling words with the 'v' sound which is usually spelled 've' at the end of words.

'Spelling Sounds v (ve)' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 1

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Transcription

Curriculum subtopic:   Distinguish Different Spellings of Same Sound

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Press this button:

The kite is above the boy.

Words ending with the 'v' sound are usually spelled 've'.

In this worksheet you look at different words that use 've' to make a 'v' sound.

Press this button.

Pick the correct spelling of the word below.

above

abov

Press this button.

live

liv

Press this button.

believe

believ

Press this button.

giv

give

Press this button.

hiv

hive

Look at this:

hand

How many fingers?

fiv fingers

five fingers

Look at this:

sieve

We use these to cook.

What is the name of this object?

a sieve

a siev

Look at this:

bear

Where do many brown bears live?

in a cav

in a cave

Look at this:

goldfish

How many fish are there?

twelv

twelve

Look at this:

Christmas tree

When does Father Christmas deliver all his presents?

on Christmas Eve

on Christmas Ev

• Question 1

Press this button.

CORRECT ANSWER
above
EDDIE SAYS
Great to see you giving this a try! How did you get on? We rarely see a word that ends in 'v'. The trick is to remember that if you can hear the 'v' sound at the end of the word it is normally followed by an 'e'.
  • Question 2

Press this button.

CORRECT ANSWER
live
EDDIE SAYS
This word uses the split digraph i_e to make the vowel sound 'I'. Keep reminding yourself that if the last sound in a word is a 'v' sound, then it will be followed by an 'e'. Give the next question a try.
  • Question 3

Press this button.

CORRECT ANSWER
believe
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it correct? This can be a tricky word to spell. The trick is to remind yourself that most words ending in 'v' have the letter 'e' after. We do not sound out the 'e'. It is either part of a digraph or it is silent. Keep up the great effort!
  • Question 4

Press this button.

CORRECT ANSWER
give
EDDIE SAYS
Are you starting to get the hang of this? The word 'give' sounds like it should be spelt 'g-i-v' however it does have the letter 'e' after the 'v'. Just remember if the last sound you hear is 'v' it will be followed by a silent 'e'.
  • Question 5

Press this button.

CORRECT ANSWER
hive
EDDIE SAYS
In some cases the 'e' is part of a split digraph. In the word 'hive' the 'e' is part of the phoneme i_e, which makes the vowel sound for the letter 'I'. Great effort! You can do this!
  • Question 6

Look at this:

hand

How many fingers?

CORRECT ANSWER
five fingers
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? The word 'five' is spelt using the split digraph i_e. We say the 'e' makes the 'I' say it's name. An easy way to remember is that if you hear a word end with a 'v' sound it will be followed by the letter 'e'.
  • Question 7

Look at this:

sieve

We use these to cook.

What is the name of this object?

CORRECT ANSWER
a sieve
EDDIE SAYS
Have you got the hang of this? The word 'sieve' has a silent 'e' at the end of the word. A general rule is that most words do not end with the letter 'v'. Keep going superstar!
  • Question 8

Look at this:

bear

Where do many brown bears live?

CORRECT ANSWER
in a cave
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it right? This example here uses the split digraph a_e. The split digraph makes the same sound as the digraph 'ae' it has just been split by another letter. Nearly there you can do this!
  • Question 9

Look at this:

goldfish

How many fish are there?

CORRECT ANSWER
twelve
EDDIE SAYS
Did you count carefully? There are 12 goldfish. The word 'twelve' uses an 'e' after the sound 'v'. Although when we sound it out we can not hear the 'e', we do not see many words that end in a 'v'.
  • Question 10

Look at this:

Christmas tree

When does Father Christmas deliver all his presents?

CORRECT ANSWER
on Christmas Eve
EDDIE SAYS
Last question! Great effort! The word 'eve' uses the split digraph e_e. This phoneme makes the same sound as 'ee'. It is still helpful to remember that most words do not end in the sound 'v' so an 'e' comes after.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.