The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Digraphs 'ow' and 'ou' 2

In this worksheet, students will practise spelling words containing the digraphs 'ow' and 'ou'.

'Digraphs 'ow' and 'ou' 2' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 1

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Transcription

Curriculum subtopic:   Distinguish Different Spellings of Same Sound

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

These words have the same sound but different spellings. 

In this worksheet you will practise spelling words that use 'ow' and 'ou'.

house

brown

The 'ow' digraph has two sounds:

snow

brown

These words both have 'ow' in them but they sound very different.

seedling

Pick the correct spelling.

It is starting to grow.

It is starting to grou.

city

A town has lots of buildings.

A toun has lots of buildings.

mouth

Your mowth is full of teeth!

Your mouth is full of teeth!

girl blowing bubbles

Can you blou bubbles?

Can you blow bubbles?

fan

The blades go around.

The blades go arownd.

man with a broken acr

His car has broken down.

His car has broken doun.

ear

What sound can you hear?

What sownd can you hear?

"That's my new howse!"

"That's my new house!"

animals

"How many pets do you have?"

"Hou many pets do you have?"

boy riding a bike

"I'm out on my bike!"

"I'm owt on my bike!"

• Question 1

seedling

CORRECT ANSWER
It is starting to grow.
EDDIE SAYS
This can be tricky as both 'ou' and 'ow' can make the same sound. However 'ow' can also make a different sound, like in the word 'snow'. The word 'grow' uses the 'ow' digraph. Give the next question a try.
  • Question 2

city

CORRECT ANSWER
A town has lots of buildings.
EDDIE SAYS
This time 'ow' is making the same sound as 'ou'. You need to decide which word is spelt correctly. The trick is to remember that the 'ow' digraph is often followed by the letters 'n' or 'l'. The word 't-ow-n' uses the 'ow' digraph in the middle of the word followed by the letter 'n'. Give the next question a try.
  • Question 3

mouth

CORRECT ANSWER
Your mouth is full of teeth!
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? In this example we are looking at the word 'mouth'. Remember look at where the sound is positioned in the word. We can hear the sound in the middle of the word which means it uses the digraph 'ou'. The 'ow' digraph only appears in the middle of a word if it is followed by the letters 'n' or 'l'.Keep going superstar!
  • Question 4

girl blowing bubbles

CORRECT ANSWER
Can you blow bubbles?
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? Remember the trick is that the digraph 'ou' comes in the middle of a word, whereas the 'ow' digraph comes at the end. In the word 'blow' we can hear the sound at the end of the word so it uses the 'ow' digraph. You can do this!
  • Question 5

fan

CORRECT ANSWER
The blades go around.
EDDIE SAYS
The word we are looking at here is 'around'. The sound comes in the middle of the word which means the 'ou' digraph is the correct one to use. Great effort! Try the next question!
  • Question 6

man with a broken acr

CORRECT ANSWER
His car has broken down.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you pick the right one? Remember the general rule is that the 'ou' digraph comes at the start or middle of the word, unless the phoneme that follows is 'n' or 'l'. In the cases where this happens it is the 'ow' digraph that is used. Great effort! Keep going!
  • Question 7

ear

CORRECT ANSWER
What sound can you hear?
EDDIE SAYS
Did you remember the rule? The word 'sound' has the 'ou' digraph in the middle of the word. It has four phonemes 's-ou-n-d'. Always look at both options to check where the digraphs are positioned within the word. You have got this!
  • Question 8

CORRECT ANSWER
"That's my new house!"
EDDIE SAYS
The word 'house' uses the 'ou' phoneme as the sound comes in the middle of the word and is not followed by the 'n' or 'l' phoneme. Nearly there! Keep it up!
  • Question 9

animals

CORRECT ANSWER
"How many pets do you have?"
EDDIE SAYS
Have you got this now? The sound we are looking at comes at the end of the word which means the 'ow' digraph is the correct one to use. Give the last question a try!
  • Question 10

boy riding a bike

CORRECT ANSWER
"I'm out on my bike!"
EDDIE SAYS
Last question well done! The word we are looking at is 'out'. The sound comes at the start of the word so the general rule is that the 'ou' digraph is used. Super effort!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.