The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Add -ing to Verbs 3

In this worksheet, students practise adding -ing to a range of different verbs.

'Add -ing to Verbs 3' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 1

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Transcription

Curriculum subtopic:   Use -ing, -ed, -er and -est

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

When we add -ing to a verb we sometimes have to change the ending of the verb as well.

For verbs that end in 'e', we drop the 'e' before we add -ing.

smile    smiling

stare    staring

For verbs with a short vowel sound just before the last letter, we double the last letter before we add -ing.

plan    planning

swim    swimming

Otherwise, we usually just add -ing.

think    thinking

lead    leading

In this worksheet you will need to remember the different rules for adding -ing to verbs.

Decide whether the verb in bold in this sentence has been spelt correctly or not.

My uncle likes shooting ducks but I think it's cruel.

Correct

Incorrect

Decide whether the verb in bold in this sentence has been spelt correctly or not.

I am writeing a letter to my granny.

Correct

Incorrect

I am meetting my mates tomorrow for a game of football.

correct

incorrect

Don't go spendding all your pocket money at once!

Correct

Incorrect

Stop chatting and listen to what I am saying.

Correct

Incorrect

Add -ing to the verb in brackets to complete the sentence. Write the verb in the answer box.

We don't have a chance of __________ the match.    (win)

Add -ing to the verb in brackets to complete the sentence. Write the verb in the answer box.

They loved the show so much that they couldn't stop __________.    (clap)

Don't disturb your baby brother while he's __________.    (sleep)

Are we __________ to Nana's or walking?    (drive)

I love __________. My auntie taught me how.    (knit)

• Question 1

My uncle likes shooting ducks but I think it's cruel.

CORRECT ANSWER
Correct
EDDIE SAYS
Great to see you giving this a try. In this example the 'oo' is a long vowel sound so there is no need to double the 't'. You just need to add 'ing' to the end of the word.
  • Question 2

I am writeing a letter to my granny.

CORRECT ANSWER
Incorrect
EDDIE SAYS
Super effort! The verb 'write' ends in 'e', so you need to take off the 'e' before adding -ing.
  • Question 3

I am meetting my mates tomorrow for a game of football.

CORRECT ANSWER
incorrect
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? The vowel sound 'ee' is long, so you don't double the 't'. You only need to double the last letter when the vowel sound is short. You can do this!
  • Question 4

Don't go spendding all your pocket money at once!

CORRECT ANSWER
Incorrect
EDDIE SAYS
The verb 'spend' has two consonants at the end, so there is no need to double the 'd'. You only need to add 'ing' to the end of the word. Keep it up superstar!
  • Question 5

Stop chatting and listen to what I am saying.

CORRECT ANSWER
Correct
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it right? As the verb 'chat' has a short vowel sound 'a' before that last letter, you need to double the last letter and then add 'ing'.
  • Question 6

We don't have a chance of __________ the match.    (win)

CORRECT ANSWER
winning
EDDIE SAYS
Did you remember the rule? As the verb 'win' has a short vowel sound 'i' before the last letter you need to double the last letter and then add 'ing'. Super effort!
  • Question 7

They loved the show so much that they couldn't stop __________.    (clap)

CORRECT ANSWER
clapping
EDDIE SAYS
Again the same rule applies here. As the verb has the short vowel 'a' before the last letter you double the 'p' and then add 'ing'. You will be an expert soon, keep it up!
  • Question 8

Don't disturb your baby brother while he's __________.    (sleep)

CORRECT ANSWER
sleeping
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? As the word 'sleep' doesn't have a short vowel sound before the last letter, you just need to add 'ing' to the end of the word.
  • Question 9

Are we __________ to Nana's or walking?    (drive)

CORRECT ANSWER
driving
EDDIE SAYS
Have you got the hang of this now? Remember with this example if the verb ends in an 'e' you need to get rid of the 'e' first before adding 'ing'.
  • Question 10

I love __________. My auntie taught me how.    (knit)

CORRECT ANSWER
knitting
EDDIE SAYS
This verb has the short vowel sound before the last letter. Did you remember what rule to use then? You double the last letter and then add 'ing'. Great effort!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.