The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Use Pronouns Correctly 1

In this worksheet students, practise using pronouns in place of nouns.

'Use Pronouns Correctly 1' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Writing: Vocabulary, Grammar and Punctuation

Curriculum subtopic:  Noun and Pronoun Awareness

Difficulty level:  

down

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

A pronoun is a word that stands in place of a noun.

Peter is eight. He likes tennis.

In this example, the word he (a pronoun) is used in the second sentence instead of Peter (a noun).

Using the pronoun he sounds better than repeating the word Peter.

Peter is eight. Peter likes tennis.

A pronoun can also be used instead of a noun phrase (a noun made up of several words).

The dog with the fluffy tail loves chasing things. I have just thrown him a stick.

In this example the pronoun him is used instead of the noun phrase the dog with the fluffy tail.

Rewrite just the second sentence in the box below, using a pronoun instead of the noun.

My sister is called Katie. Katie loves ice cream.

Rewrite just the second sentence in the box below, using a pronoun instead of the noun.

Jack and Janey live next door to me. Jack and Janey are twins.

My sister and I are going to the theatre tonight. My sister and I are looking forward to it.

My dog hates the man next door. He always barks at the man next door.

My mum gave my friends and me a treat. She took my friends and me to the circus.

Rewrite just the second sentence in the box below, using a pronoun instead of the noun..

William Shakespeare wrote a huge number of plays. The plays are still being performed around the world today.

The man with the glasses was next in the queue. Unfortunately, someone pushed in front of the man with the glasses.

Read the following sentences and identify the pronoun that has been used wrongly. Write just the correct pronoun in the answer box.

Lottie and Isabel loved playing in the garden. They liked digging in their vegetable patch and planting out the seeds that their mum had given her.

Read the following sentences and identify the pronoun that has been used wrongly. Write just the correct pronoun in the answer box.

Edward and James were playing on the beach when they saw a huge wave coming towards him. They ran up the sand dunes and got away just in time.

Read the following sentences and identify the pronoun that has been used wrongly. Write the correct pronoun in the answer box.

'Where are we?' asked Jennifer, rubbing her eyes and looking at Philip anxiously.

'I've no idea', said Philip. 'I think they are lost.'

• Question 1

My sister is called Katie. Katie loves ice cream.

CORRECT ANSWER
She loves ice cream.
  • Question 2

Jack and Janey live next door to me. Jack and Janey are twins.

CORRECT ANSWER
They are twins.
  • Question 3

My sister and I are going to the theatre tonight. My sister and I are looking forward to it.

CORRECT ANSWER
We are looking forward to it.
  • Question 4

My dog hates the man next door. He always barks at the man next door.

CORRECT ANSWER
He always barks at him.
  • Question 5

My mum gave my friends and me a treat. She took my friends and me to the circus.

CORRECT ANSWER
She took us to the circus.
  • Question 6

Rewrite just the second sentence in the box below, using a pronoun instead of the noun..

William Shakespeare wrote a huge number of plays. The plays are still being performed around the world today.

CORRECT ANSWER
They are still being performed around the world today.
  • Question 7

The man with the glasses was next in the queue. Unfortunately, someone pushed in front of the man with the glasses.

CORRECT ANSWER
Unfortunately, someone pushed in front of him.
  • Question 8

Lottie and Isabel loved playing in the garden. They liked digging in their vegetable patch and planting out the seeds that their mum had given her.

CORRECT ANSWER
them
EDDIE SAYS
The seeds had been given to both girls so we need to say 'had given them' not 'had given her'.
  • Question 9

Edward and James were playing on the beach when they saw a huge wave coming towards him. They ran up the sand dunes and got away just in time.

CORRECT ANSWER
them
EDDIE SAYS
The wave is coming towards both boys so we need to say 'coming towards them' not 'coming towards him'.
  • Question 10

Read the following sentences and identify the pronoun that has been used wrongly. Write the correct pronoun in the answer box.

'Where are we?' asked Jennifer, rubbing her eyes and looking at Philip anxiously.

'I've no idea', said Philip. 'I think they are lost.'

CORRECT ANSWER
we
EDDIE SAYS
Philip is talking about Jennifer and himself, so he needs to say 'I think we are lost' not 'I think they are lost'.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Start your £1 trial

Start your trial for £1