The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Investigate Words with Silent Letters: 'k' and 'g'

In this worksheet, students practise reading and spelling words with a silent 'k' or 'g'.

'Investigate Words with Silent Letters: 'k' and 'g'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Transcription

Curriculum subtopic:   Spelling Awareness (words with 'silent' letters [e.g. knight, psalm, solemn])

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Some words have letters that we don't pronounce (say out loud) when we read them. These are called silent letters.

someone knitting

The word knitting has a silent 'k'.

gnome

The word gnome has a silent 'g'.

We just have to learn which words have silent letters, but it might be helpful to remember that words with a silent 'k' or a silent 'g' usually have an 'n' straight afterwards.

Read these words carefully as you will need to spell them correctly in this worksheet. They all have either a silent 'k' or a silent 'g' in them.

knuckle

knee

knife

knot

knight

knock

kneel

know

gnaw

gnat

Write the missing word in the answer box. Use one of the words from the introduction page.

dog with a bone

My puppy likes to __________ at his bone.

Write the missing word in the answer box. Use one of the words from the introduction page.

a rope with a knot

We tied a __________ in the rope.

knee

My big sister hurt her __________ when she fell off her bike.

Knight

I want to dress up as a __________ for the fancy dress competition.

knife and fork

My mum always tells me to use my __________ and fork properly.

gnat

Katie was itchy after she was bitten by a __________.

Someone knocking at the door

Please __________ before you go in.

gnome

My granny has a lot of __________ in her garden.

A man proposing to a lady

Olivia always dreamt that one day a handsome man would __________ down and propose to her.

A lady knitting

My sister is __________ me a scarf.

• Question 1

dog with a bone

My puppy likes to __________ at his bone.

CORRECT ANSWER
gnaw
EDDIE SAYS
Great to see you giving this a try. The 'g' is silent. The word 'gnaw' means to chew something.
  • Question 2

a rope with a knot

We tied a __________ in the rope.

CORRECT ANSWER
knot
EDDIE SAYS
Good effort! The 'k' is silent. A 'knot' is made by looping a piece of rope on itself and tightening it.
  • Question 3

knee

My big sister hurt her __________ when she fell off her bike.

CORRECT ANSWER
knee
EDDIE SAYS
Are you getting the hang of this? The 'k' is silent. A 'knee' is the joint between the thigh and the lower leg.
  • Question 4

Knight

I want to dress up as a __________ for the fancy dress competition.

CORRECT ANSWER
knight
EDDIE SAYS
The 'k' is silent in this word. A 'knight' is like a soldier. They serve the sovereign or Lord. Keep it up super star!
  • Question 5

knife and fork

My mum always tells me to use my __________ and fork properly.

CORRECT ANSWER
knife
EDDIE SAYS
Are you getting the hang of this? 'Knife' is something that is used to cut things. We use them when eating.
  • Question 6

gnat

Katie was itchy after she was bitten by a __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
gnat
EDDIE SAYS
High five! There is a silent 'g' in the word. A 'gnat' is a small winged insect that can bite.
  • Question 7

Someone knocking at the door

Please __________ before you go in.

CORRECT ANSWER
knock
EDDIE SAYS
This word has a silent 'k'. We do not pronounce the first 'k' in the word.
  • Question 8

gnome

My granny has a lot of __________ in her garden.

CORRECT ANSWER
gnomes
EDDIE SAYS
You've got this! A 'gnome' is a type of ornament that people can have in their garden. The 'g' at the start of the word is silent.
  • Question 9

A man proposing to a lady

Olivia always dreamt that one day a handsome man would __________ down and propose to her.

CORRECT ANSWER
kneel
EDDIE SAYS
Super effort! 'Kneel' is when the body is supported by one knee or both knees.
  • Question 10

A lady knitting

My sister is __________ me a scarf.

CORRECT ANSWER
knitting
EDDIE SAYS
Amazing effort! The 'k' is silent in this word.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.