The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Investigate Words with Silent Letters: 'w' or 'h'

In this worksheet, students practise reading and spelling words with a silent 'w' or 'h'.

'Investigate Words with Silent Letters: 'w' or 'h'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Writing: Transcription

Curriculum subtopic:  Spelling Awareness (words with 'silent' letters [e.g. knight, psalm, solemn])

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Some words have letters that we don't pronounce (say out loud) when we read them. These are called silent letters.

sword

The word sword has a silent 'w'.

rhino

The word rhino has a silent 'h'.

We just have to learn which words have silent letters, but it might be helpful to remember that many words with a silent 'w' have the letter 'r' straight afterwards.

Read these words carefully as you will need to spell them correctly in this worksheet. They all have either a silent 'w' or a silent 'h' in them.

write

wrapper

wrong

wrist

answer

rhyme

chemist

whale

honest

whine

Write the missing word in the answer box. Use one of the words from the introduction page.

Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty is my favourite nursery __________.

Write the missing word in the answer box. Use one of the words from the introduction page.

whale

According to the Bible, Jonah was swallowed by a __________.

wrapper

Joe took the __________ off his toffee.

Girl with her hand up

Amelia put her hand up to __________ the teacher's question.

smashed window

Jamie was very __________ and owned up when he broke the window.

Girl writing

My little sister __________ with her left hand.

Boy with correct work

Jonny was pleased because he didn't get any answers __________ on his test.

puppy

My puppy always starts to __________ when we leave him on his own.

bandaged hand and wrist

My dad sprained his __________ playing rugby.

medicine

We went to the __________ to get my medicine.

• Question 1

Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty is my favourite nursery __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
rhyme
EDDIE SAYS
You can do this! 'Rhyme' has a silent 'h'. 'H' can often be a silent letter.
  • Question 2

whale

According to the Bible, Jonah was swallowed by a __________.

CORRECT ANSWER
whale
EDDIE SAYS
Great effort! 'Whale' has a silent 'h'. When an 'h' follows 'w', 'r' and 'g' it is often silent. However if you are ever unsure you could check a dictionary for the correct pronunciation.
  • Question 3

wrapper

Joe took the __________ off his toffee.

CORRECT ANSWER
wrapper
EDDIE SAYS
Super effort! In this example the 'w' is silent in the word 'wrapper'. The word 'rapper' has a totally different meaning.
  • Question 4

Girl with her hand up

Amelia put her hand up to __________ the teacher's question.

CORRECT ANSWER
answer
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it right? The word 'answer' has a silent 'w' after the 's'. Keep it up super star!
  • Question 5

smashed window

Jamie was very __________ and owned up when he broke the window.

CORRECT ANSWER
honest
EDDIE SAYS
Excellent effort! The word 'honest' means when you are truthful. It has a silent 'h' at the beginning. We do not pronounce the 'h'.
  • Question 6

Girl writing

My little sister __________ with her left hand.

CORRECT ANSWER
writes
EDDIE SAYS
Are you getting the hang of this now? We do not pronounce the 'w' at the start of the word 'writes'. It is a silent 'w'.
  • Question 7

Boy with correct work

Jonny was pleased because he didn't get any answers __________ on his test.

CORRECT ANSWER
wrong
EDDIE SAYS
Again here the 'w' at the start of the word 'wrong' is silent and we do not pronounce it. Doing great!
  • Question 8

puppy

My puppy always starts to __________ when we leave him on his own.

CORRECT ANSWER
whine
EDDIE SAYS
This is a tricky one. The word 'whine' means a long, high pitched cry. The 'h' in whine is silent so we do not pronounce it. However we need to include it in our spelling as the word 'wine' has a totally different meaning.
  • Question 9

bandaged hand and wrist

My dad sprained his __________ playing rugby.

CORRECT ANSWER
wrist
EDDIE SAYS
You've got this! The 'w' at the start of the word 'wrist' is silent.
  • Question 10

medicine

We went to the __________ to get my medicine.

CORRECT ANSWER
chemist
EDDIE SAYS
Excellent job! The 'h' in chemist is silent.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.