The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Use Ellipsis

In this worksheet, students will be asked to use ellipsis to punctuate sentences correctly, in order to indicate that a word is missing from the sentence.

'Use Ellipsis' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Writing: Vocabulary, Grammar and Punctuation

Curriculum subtopic:   Grammar Awareness (learn the grammar of Y5 and 6)

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

When writing, we can use an ellipsis, shown as '...' to indicate to our reader that a word or phrase is missing.

An ellipsis is a series of three consecutive dots ...

There are a few reasons why we may use an ellipsis, these include:

A word or phrase has been deliberately missed out.

To create a pause to build tension for effect.

To allow a sentence to trail off.

To show a character's 'unfinished thought'.

Examples of how to use ellipsis

Quietly, we tiptoed along the dark, narrow hallway...

She reluctantly opened the box and found...little baby kittens!

"Do you think I can do it? I'm not sure if I..." whispered Sally.

Mr Taylor declared, "I enjoyed the trip immensely...it's the perfect place for a fun, family day out!"

Read the sentence below carefully.

Then complete the boxes, using the correct punctuation in the gaps.

'After playing in the park, I was very thirsty and all I wanted was a cold drink_

Therefore, I walked to the shop ___ but there were no drinks left!'

'I forgot all about it,_ Jim said. 'I just ___ forgot.'

The dog ran ___ and ran ___ and ran.

Read carefully through the broken up sentences below and try to match correctly, using ellipsis.

Column A

Column B

John...
and a little bit of inspiration.
The rain poured...
and poured... and poured.
An idea...some courage...
they were respected by everybody.
Class 6F wrote their classroom rules together...
was a talented and determined pupil.

Read carefully through the broken up sentences below and try to match correctly, using ellipsis.

Column A

Column B

I would suggest...
or should I say insist, this must change.
At the end of the day...
it was the best pizza I had ever eaten!
Yes...
we all agreed we were the best of friends.
Overall...
you can come round to my house later for dinner.

Column A

Column B

I decided to leave...
it was such a peaceful place.
If only he hadn't
but then I fell.
What a beautiful garden...
and then I left.
I was sprinting...
opened the door...

Read the sentence below and decide whether it is correctly or incorrectly punctuated with ellipsis.

With slow, careful steps, they tiptoed into the dark, gloomy castle...

Correct

Incorrect

Read the sentence below and decide whether it is correctly or incorrectly punctuated with ellipsis.

He reached into...the drawer and found the missing keys!

Correct

Incorrect

Read the sentence below and decide whether it is correctly or incorrectly punctuated with ellipsis.

'I'm never going to be able to...' mused Natasha.

Correct

Incorrect

Can you identify the reasons why we use ellipsis?

Omission of wordContraction of wordTo show belongingTo show an unfinished thoughtTo pause for effect
Reasons to use ellipsis
  • Question 1

'After playing in the park, I was very thirsty and all I wanted was a cold drink_

Therefore, I walked to the shop ___ but there were no drinks left!'

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you find the first question? You had to insert a full stop and an ellipsis, as shown below. 'After playing in the park, I was very thirsty and all I wanted was a cold drink. Therefore, I walked to the shop...but there were no drinks left!' The ellipsis has been used in the sentence to create drama about the fact all of the drinks were sold.
  • Question 2

'I forgot all about it,_ Jim said. 'I just ___ forgot.'

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? You had to insert an inverted comma and an ellipsis, as shown below. 'I forgot all about it,' Jim said. 'I just...forgot.' In this sentence, the ellipsis has been used to convey an unfinished thought.
  • Question 3

The dog ran ___ and ran ___ and ran.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
This sentence requires two ellipses as shown below: 'The dog ran...and ran...and ran.' In this example, the ellipses have been used to show the passage of time.
  • Question 4

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

John...
was a talented and determined pup...
The rain poured...
and poured... and poured.
An idea...some courage...
and a little bit of inspiration.
Class 6F wrote their classroom ru...
they were respected by everybody.
EDDIE SAYS
How did you find this matching question? Phew, that was a challenge. There were a lot of factors to take into account. The correctly matched sentences, using ellipsis are: John...was a talented and determined pupil. The rain poured...and poured...and poured. An idea...some courage and a little bit of inspiration. Class 6F wrote their classroom rules together...they were respected by everybody.
  • Question 5

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

I would suggest...
or should I say insist, this must...
At the end of the day...
we all agreed we were the best of...
Yes...
you can come round to my house la...
Overall...
it was the best pizza I had ever ...
EDDIE SAYS
I'm sure you're getting the hang of this matching type of question now! The correctly matched sentences, using ellipsis are: I would suggest...or should I say insist, this must change. At the end of the day...we all agreed we were the best of friends. Yes...you can come round to my house later for dinner. Overall...it was the best pizza I had ever eaten!
  • Question 6

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

I decided to leave...
and then I left.
If only he hadn't
opened the door...
What a beautiful garden...
it was such a peaceful place.
I was sprinting...
but then I fell.
EDDIE SAYS
This time, the correctly matched sentences, using ellipsis are: I decided to leave...and then I left. If only he hadn't opened the door... What a beautiful garden...it was such a peaceful place. I was sprinting...but then I fell.
  • Question 7

Read the sentence below and decide whether it is correctly or incorrectly punctuated with ellipsis.

With slow, careful steps, they tiptoed into the dark, gloomy castle...

CORRECT ANSWER
Correct
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on being the teacher? This sentence is correctly punctuated using ellipsis. The ellipsis has been used to trail off into silence.
  • Question 8

He reached into...the drawer and found the missing keys!

CORRECT ANSWER
Incorrect
EDDIE SAYS
How did you find marking this question? This sentence is incorrectly punctuated using ellipsis. The ellipsis should be used like this: He reached into the drawer and found... the missing keys! Now the ellipsis has been correctly used to pause for effect.
  • Question 9

'I'm never going to be able to...' mused Natasha.

CORRECT ANSWER
Correct
EDDIE SAYS
This sentence is correctly punctuated using ellipsis. The ellipsis has been correctly used to show an unfinished thought from the character Natasha.
  • Question 10

Can you identify the reasons why we use ellipsis?

CORRECT ANSWER
 Omission of wordContraction of wordTo show belongingTo show an unfinished thoughtTo pause for effect
Reasons to use ellipsis
EDDIE SAYS
The reasons given here as to why we use ellipsis are: 1. Omission of word 2. To show an unfinished thought 3. To pause for effect Well done, that’s another activity completed!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.