The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Know Your Roots: 'cred'

In this worksheet, students learn and practise spelling words containing the root 'cred'.

'Know Your Roots: 'cred'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:   Reading: Word Reading

Curriculum subtopic:   Root Word Awareness

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Many words in English are based on the same root words, and knowing what these mean can help us with spellings.

The root 'cred' is found in a lot of English words. It comes from a Latin word meaning 'belief' or 'trust'.

A girl with question marks above her head

If you are incredulous about something it means you find it hard to believe.

If you buy something on credit you don't have to pay for it at the time because the seller trusts that you will pay at a later date.

Match these terms with their definitions. You may need to use a dictionary if the words are unfamiliar to you.

Pay close attention to the spellings as you will need them for later questions!

Column A

Column B

Discredit
Someone who is owed money
Accredited
Officially recognised
Credible
To harm someone's good reputation
Creditor
Easy to believe

Match these terms with their definitions. You may need to use a dictionary if the words are unfamiliar to you.

Column A

Column B

Incredulity
Disbelief
Creditable
Deserving praise
Incredible
Evidence that someone is suitable for a particular...
Credentials
Hard to believe

Write the missing word to complete the sentence. Think carefully about the spellings!

The witness in the trial was __________ when it was found he had been talking to the press in secret.

Write the missing word to complete the sentence. Think carefully about the spellings!

I hardly think that claiming your dog ate your homework is a __________ excuse for not handing it in.

We bought our new TV on __________ but it will take months to pay it off.

My Mum gave me an __________ look when I said that I had come top in the test. She knew I hadn't revised.

If the company doesn't pay its __________ within six months it will have to go out of business.

I did my ballet exams at an __________ dance school so they count towards my final grade.

They gave a __________ performance during the match even though they lost in the end.

His __________ for taking on the England job are very good, as he has been a successful manager at several European teams.

• Question 1

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Discredit
To harm someone's good reputation
Accredited
Officially recognised
Credible
Easy to believe
Creditor
Someone who is owed money
EDDIE SAYS
A great start! Try to remember the spelling and meaning of each word. This will help you to answer questions later on.
  • Question 2

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Incredulity
Disbelief
Creditable
Deserving praise
Incredible
Hard to believe
Credentials
Evidence that someone is suitable...
EDDIE SAYS
Some of these words sound very tricky. But remember they all come from the root 'cred' which means belief or trust.
  • Question 3

The witness in the trial was __________ when it was found he had been talking to the press in secret.

CORRECT ANSWER
discredited
EDDIE SAYS
All these words are linked to the idea of trust and belief. 'Discredited' means when something has lost belief.
  • Question 4

I hardly think that claiming your dog ate your homework is a __________ excuse for not handing it in.

CORRECT ANSWER
credible
EDDIE SAYS
This word has the opposite meaning. If something or someone is 'credible' they are trustworthy and believable. Keep up the great effort!
  • Question 5

We bought our new TV on __________ but it will take months to pay it off.

CORRECT ANSWER
credit
EDDIE SAYS
High five! The idea of 'credit' is borrowing money from a company with the trust that you will pay it back.
  • Question 6

My Mum gave me an __________ look when I said that I had come top in the test. She knew I hadn't revised.

CORRECT ANSWER
incredulous
EDDIE SAYS
A lot of people muddle up 'incredible' and 'incredulous'. Remember that you are incredulous about something that is incredible.
  • Question 7

If the company doesn't pay its __________ within six months it will have to go out of business.

CORRECT ANSWER
creditors
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on? Keep up super effort!
  • Question 8

I did my ballet exams at an __________ dance school so they count towards my final grade.

CORRECT ANSWER
accredited
EDDIE SAYS
If someone or something is 'accredited' they are officially recognised and authorised. Nearly there well done!
  • Question 9

They gave a __________ performance during the match even though they lost in the end.

CORRECT ANSWER
creditable
EDDIE SAYS
Make sure you don't muddle up 'creditable' and 'credible'!
  • Question 10

His __________ for taking on the England job are very good, as he has been a successful manager at several European teams.

CORRECT ANSWER
credentials
EDDIE SAYS
Amazing effort! Well done!
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.