The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Know Your Roots: 'scribe' and 'script'

In this worksheet, students learn and practise spelling words with 'scribe' and 'script'.

'Know Your Roots: 'scribe' and 'script'' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 2

Curriculum topic:  Reading: Word Reading

Curriculum subtopic:  Root Word Awareness

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

Many words in English are based on the same root words, and knowing what these mean can help with spellings.

hand with a quill pen writing

The roots 'scribe' and 'script' come from the Latin word for writing.

Usually, 'scribe' is used for verbs while 'script' is used for nouns.

describe       

description

The word 'scribe' itself, however, is both a verb and a noun. It means 'to write' and also refers to a person who was employed to make copies of documents before printing was invented.

Match these words with their definitions. You may need to use a dictionary if you are not familiar with them.

Pay close attention to the spellings as you will need them in later questions!

Column A

Column B

Inscribe
To carve or engrave writing on something
Prescribe
To order or recommend the use of something
Proscribe
To sign up for something, particularly a magazine ...
Subscribe
To forbid or ban something

Match these words with their definitions. You may need to use a dictionary if you are not familiar with them.

Column A

Column B

Script
A book or piece of music written by hand rather th...
Conscript
An extra sentence or paragraph at the end of a let...
Manuscript
A person enlisted into the army without choice
Postscript
A written version of a play or film

Write the missing word to complete the sentence. Think carefully about the spellings!

Our teacher handed out copies of the __________ for our end of term production.

Write the missing word to complete the sentence. Think carefully about the spellings!

My doctor __________ a new drug to help me get over my illness.

The monument was __________ with the names of all the soldiers who had died in the war.

The witness gave a detailed __________ of the thief to the police.

Smoking has been __________ in public places in the UK.

Joe has __________ to a weekly football magazine.

I forgot to tell Auntie Mary about our holiday so I added a __________ to my letter.

In medieval times monks spent many hours carefully writing __________ of the Bible.

• Question 1

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Inscribe
To carve or engrave writing on so...
Prescribe
To order or recommend the use of ...
Proscribe
To forbid or ban something
Subscribe
To sign up for something, particu...
EDDIE SAYS
Great work! Make sure you read each meaning carefully as this will come in handy for the next few questions.
  • Question 2

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Script
A written version of a play or fi...
Conscript
A person enlisted into the army w...
Manuscript
A book or piece of music written ...
Postscript
An extra sentence or paragraph at...
EDDIE SAYS
Again here you need to make sure you have a good understanding of the words listed. You will need to know their meanings for the next questions. You've got this!
  • Question 3

Our teacher handed out copies of the __________ for our end of term production.

CORRECT ANSWER
script
EDDIE SAYS
Super effort! Did you remember the word script? You can always use a dictionary to look up any words you may not know.
  • Question 4

My doctor __________ a new drug to help me get over my illness.

CORRECT ANSWER
prescribed
EDDIE SAYS
Fantastic effort! 'Prescribed' is when a medical practitioner authorises the use of medicine for a patient.
  • Question 5

The monument was __________ with the names of all the soldiers who had died in the war.

CORRECT ANSWER
inscribed
EDDIE SAYS
Super effort! Keep thinking about the words in the introduction. All the meanings were explained. 'Inscribed' is when an object is marked with characters.
  • Question 6

The witness gave a detailed __________ of the thief to the police.

CORRECT ANSWER
description
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it correct? Remember the meanings of the words in the introduction. Keep up it up super star!
  • Question 7

Smoking has been __________ in public places in the UK.

CORRECT ANSWER
proscribed
EDDIE SAYS
Careful with this one! Don't muddle up 'proscribed' and 'prescribed'! They have very different meanings.
  • Question 8

Joe has __________ to a weekly football magazine.

CORRECT ANSWER
subscribed
EDDIE SAYS
High five! Are you getting the hang of this now?
  • Question 9

I forgot to tell Auntie Mary about our holiday so I added a __________ to my letter.

CORRECT ANSWER
postscript
EDDIE SAYS
A 'postscript' is an additional mark that is left at the end of a letter. Nearly there!
  • Question 10

In medieval times monks spent many hours carefully writing __________ of the Bible.

CORRECT ANSWER
manuscripts
EDDIE SAYS
Amazing effort well done! A 'manuscript' is a book, document or music that has been written by hand.
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.