Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Explore a Point of View

In this worksheet, students will build the skills needed to identify a viewpoint, and develop the ability to infer and deduce information from a text.

'Explore a Point of View' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Year:  Year 7 English worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Writing

Curriculum subtopic:   Summarise and Organise Materials, Ideas and Arguments

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

a plate of all food groups

Understanding someone's point of view is a key skill to develop. Often it is easy to see what someone thinks or feels about a topic, but sometimes you need to dig a little deeper. 

In this activity, you will see a review of a restaurant. People review restaurants all the time and they read other reviews. They can really help people to make a decision about where is good - and bad - to eat.

You will need to dust off your detective skills for these question - it's inference and deduction time. 

a detective with a magnifying glass

To infer and deduce, we need to read what someone has written very carefully and look for the clues or 'evidence' to support our understanding of their point of view.

Let's get started.

A Really Bad Restaurant Experience

I recently went to Shiny Diner, and it was honestly one of the worst places I've eaten at. Everything, from how they treated us, to the food and how the place looked, was just not good.

The people working at Shiny Diner didn't seem to care at all. The person who showed us to our table barely said hello. Our server didn't seem interested in helping us and didn't even suggest any dishes. It took forever to get our drinks, and when we finally got them, they weren't even cold. They pretty much ignored us throughout our meal, and it felt like they didn't want us there. The lack of attention and politeness was really surprising.

The food was a big disappointment. We ordered a starter that was so overcooked it was like a golf ball. Our main dishes were just as bad. My steak, which I wanted medium-rare, came out well-done and tasted like charcoal. The side dishes were bland, and it seemed like they had been sitting out for a long time. The portion sizes were inconsistent, with some being tiny and others too big, but that didn't make up for the bad quality. Also, the prices on the menu were way too high for the terrible food we got.

The way the restaurant looked was weird and confusing. It seemed like they couldn't decide on a style and just threw random stuff together. The lighting was harsh and unflattering, making it hard to even see the odd art on the walls. The furniture looked old and didn't match at all. It was like they didn't put any effort into making the place look nice and comfortable.

In summary, I strongly recommend staying away from Shiny Diner. The bad service, terrible food, and strange decor made it a really disappointing experience. There are much better places to eat where you can have a good time without the problems we had at this restaurant. Save your money and find somewhere else to eat.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents