Loading please wait

The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Identify Viewpoints

In this worksheet, students will develop skills in recognising a view point. Students will practise finding text to support what they think.

'Identify Viewpoints' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Year:  Year 7 English worksheets

Curriculum topic:   Reading

Curriculum subtopic:   Check Understanding

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

Finding a viewpoint in a text is a really important skill. 

You have to read the words carefully and then work out what it means. The proper name for this is 'inference and deduction'. 

In this activity, you will get a chance to develop your inference skills and deduce things based on what you have read. We are going to do this with a review of a restaurant.

Lots of people review restaurants after they have been there. Let's see what this customer thinks.

chips

What an experience!

I suppose I had a feeling this place was going to be terrible the second I walked in the door. There was cardboard covering a giant hole in the glass. Who knows what happened to it; it doesn't bear thinking about. 

The carpets in the entrance were stained and dirty. Oh well, I thought, some of the best food comes out of the worst places. I still had faith. However, this didn't last long.

The place was empty. Apart from one old couple in a corner who looked as if they were asleep. At least, I hoped they were asleep! They didn't move the entire time we were there so...

Our waiter came, eventually, and asked us what we would like to drink. We hadn't even had menus at that point. The waiter disappeared again to get us a menu and didn't come back for 10 minutes. And then he asked what we would like to drink. While he was still holding the menus in his hand! I think he thought we were mind-readers.

We finally ordered and our drinks arrived. You guessed it, they were wrong. Now I really knew this wasn't going to be good. We thought about leaving but I hate to make a fuss so we decided to just order something simple to eat. This process was far from simple. 

The first time the waiter brought our food over it was cold. When he returned with what I hoped would be food at the right temperature, it was actually baking hot. We couldn't even touch the plates without burning our fingers. I think maybe the chef just put the plates in the microwave on full; my meat was so burnt it was impossible to cut and my friend's chips were in one large lump.

We did point all of this out to the waiter, but unfortunately he was on his phone sending messages while we were talking to him, so we didn't get much of a response. 

As we left (yes the old couple were still there), we realised that my friend's bag was missing. We looked everywhere. We called the police to report a theft but they said they didn't come to that restaurant anymore due to safety concerns.

At this point we decided to cut our losses and make a very quick run for it. Which is lucky, because right about then was when the food poisoning kicked in.

Do not recommend! Stay away from here!

policeman saying stop

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free

• National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted / Parents
    National Tutoring Awards 2023 Shortlisted
  • Private-Tutoring-WINNER-EducationInvestor-Awards / Parents
    Winner - Private Tutoring
  • Bett Awards Finalist / Parents
    Finalist
  • Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents
    Winner - Best for Home Learning / Parents