The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Try an activity or get started for free

Revise Your Grammar Skills

In this worksheet, students answer a range of questions to check their grammar skills and how these can improve their writing.

'Revise Your Grammar Skills' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:   Grammar and Vocabulary

Curriculum subtopic:   Extend and Apply Grammatical Knowledge

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

This activity summarises some key components of word classification and punctuation.  You can use this as a test to see where your knowledge is currently at.

We'll be looking at the use of root words in English, to begin with, and how to use the words in these word families correctly.

Make sure you know your noun from your adverb and your semicolon from your colon to have the most success here!

If you are in doubt at any point, why not write down the rules as you go!

All of the words in the list are linked to the root word local. Tick the two that are nouns.

Locally

Locality

Locate

All of the words in the list are linked to the root word fatal, but only one is an adverb. Tick the adverb.

Fatally

Fatality

Fatalism

Which of the following sentences contains the word 'speciality' in the correct context?

Speciality, I love reading.

Cooking is not speciality to me.

Gardening is my speciality.

Choose THREE of the following sentences in which the word 'possibility' is used in the correct context.

That's always a possibility!

Possibility, you are correct.

The possibility of that is slim.

Yes, I think so, possibility.

There is a high possibility of rain.

Match up these "cious" words with their meanings. You can use a dictionary if you need to.

Column A

Column B

Tenacious
effective
Vivacious
with lots of room
Audacious
lively
Capacious
with a lot of nerve
Ferocious
determined
Efficacious
fierce, savage

Replace the _ in these sentences with the correct punctuation mark. If you can't see the whole sentence, hover your mouse over the box.

Column A

Column B

How old is she_
!
She's 16_
I can't believe she's 92_
?
She looks younger_ I think.
:
It's her 21st_ candles, balloons, cake, party!

The punctuation marks and capital letters have been removed from the sentence below. Where would you make changes to make it correct?

(There are 3 things to add to this sentence)

at three minutes past midnight she walked through the door

Look at the following situations. Tick the two contexts in which you would use a comma.

Just before a question mark

To separate items in a list.

Straight after a capital letter

To separate two clauses

Straight after a semi-colon

The following two sentences can be joined into one if the correct punctuation mark is used. Tick the correct answer.

Peter's birthday is in February. Mine is in September.

Peter's birthday is in February: mine is in September.

Peter's birthday is in February, mine is in September.

Peter's birthday is in February; mine is in September.

Which of the following sentences uses the correct punctuation for direct speech?

1) "I'll do my homework when I get back from the cinema, promised Maya."

2) "I'll do my homework when I get back from the cinema," promised Maya.

3) "I'll do my homework when I get back from the cinema", promised Maya.

Sentence 1

Sentence 2

Sentence 3

• Question 1

All of the words in the list are linked to the root word local. Tick the two that are nouns.

CORRECT ANSWER
EDDIE SAYS
First, we need to remember what a noun is. It's a word used to classify a place, people or things. If we look at the list there are two things there that we could describe, which are location and locality. 'Locally' is an adverb; 'locate' is a verb.
  • Question 2

All of the words in the list are linked to the root word fatal, but only one is an adverb. Tick the adverb.

CORRECT ANSWER
Fatally
EDDIE SAYS
Can you remember what an adverb is? Adverbs are words that modify a verb. So, now let's look at the list. If we were to write that someone was 'fatally stabbed' we are explaining that they have been killed (fatally - adverb) through the act of stabbing (verb). Can you see how this adverb is modifying the verb? Without the word fatally we do not know what has happened as a result of the stabbing. 'Fatality' and 'fatalism' are nouns.
  • Question 3

Which of the following sentences contains the word 'speciality' in the correct context?

CORRECT ANSWER
Gardening is my speciality.
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do here? Sometimes you can just hear that words are in the wrong sentence and other times we need to use our grammar rules and the use of our dictionary. What does speciality mean? A speciality is normally a skill or hobby that someone has devoted a lot of time to and has therefore improved in. In the first sentence, although reading may be a hobby someone spends a long time doing, this does not make sense grammatically. In the second sentence really the speaker should have used the word 'special' if they wanted this to make sense. So the correct option must be 'Gardening is my speciality'. It's a skill and hobby that the speaker clearly thinks they are good at.
  • Question 4

Choose THREE of the following sentences in which the word 'possibility' is used in the correct context.

CORRECT ANSWER
That's always a possibility!
The possibility of that is slim.
There is a high possibility of rain.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get it? Possibility is something that may happen or be the case. In the second and fourth option, the speaker should have used the word possibly, which comes from the same route word 'possible' if they wanted to be grammatically correct here.
  • Question 5

Match up these "cious" words with their meanings. You can use a dictionary if you need to.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

Tenacious
determined
Vivacious
lively
Audacious
with a lot of nerve
Capacious
with lots of room
Ferocious
fierce, savage
Efficacious
effective
EDDIE SAYS
Are you spotting patterns with the words that you are using? These are great words to use, so why not write them down so you don't forget?
  • Question 6

Replace the _ in these sentences with the correct punctuation mark. If you can't see the whole sentence, hover your mouse over the box.

CORRECT ANSWER

Column A

Column B

How old is she_
?
She's 16_
I can't believe she's 92_
!
She looks younger_ I think.
It's her 21st_ candles, balloons,...
:
EDDIE SAYS
Did you match it up? It helps to think of these sentences in the full context and then to say the sentence out loud.
  • Question 7

The punctuation marks and capital letters have been removed from the sentence below. Where would you make changes to make it correct?

(There are 3 things to add to this sentence)

CORRECT ANSWER
at three minutes past midnight she walked through the door
EDDIE SAYS
How did you get on here? First of all, we need to add a capital letter at the start. Secondly, we need to put a comma between the two clauses. The comma should go after the word midnight. Lastly, you know the drill, we need a full stop to make this sentence correct!
  • Question 8

Look at the following situations. Tick the two contexts in which you would use a comma.

CORRECT ANSWER
To separate items in a list.
To separate two clauses
EDDIE SAYS
Hopefully, you got this one right? There are two situations above where the comma should be used to be grammatically correct. If you are still unsure of this, why not make a note so that you remember for the future?
  • Question 9

The following two sentences can be joined into one if the correct punctuation mark is used. Tick the correct answer.

Peter's birthday is in February. Mine is in September.

CORRECT ANSWER
Peter's birthday is in February; mine is in September.
EDDIE SAYS
Did you get this right? All three sentences look pretty similar, but if you take a closer look you will see there is one slight difference between them all... one uses a colon, one a comma and the last a semicolon. A semi-colon is used to join two sentences that are linked in some way. A colon should only be used if the second sentence explains the first one, and a comma should never be used in this way.
  • Question 10

Which of the following sentences uses the correct punctuation for direct speech?

1) "I'll do my homework when I get back from the cinema, promised Maya."

2) "I'll do my homework when I get back from the cinema," promised Maya.

3) "I'll do my homework when I get back from the cinema", promised Maya.

CORRECT ANSWER
Sentence 2
EDDIE SAYS
How did you do? In this last question, we need to make sure that the comma comes before the closing speech marks. Well done for completing another activity! Why not have a look at the next one in your account to really test your knowledge?
---- OR ----

Get started for free so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Try an activity or get started for free