The smart way to improve grades

Comprehensive & curriculum aligned

Affordable pricing from £10/month

Revise Sentence Types

In this worksheet, students will revise the difference between simple, compound and complex sentences in order to encourage variety in their own writing.

'Revise Sentence Types' worksheet

Key stage:  KS 3

Curriculum topic:   Writing

Curriculum subtopic:   Use Accurate Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling

Difficulty level:  

Worksheet Overview

QUESTION 1 of 10

An effective and interesting piece of writing uses a variety of sentence types for effect.

Simple Sentence

This type of sentence contains one main idea (or clause) which makes sense on its own and has one main verb.

Rosie kicked the ball.

Compound Sentence

A compound sentence joins two simple sentences (or two main clauses) together using a conjunction or linking word.

Rosie kicked the ball but Sophia ran away.

It's important to remember that the idea or clause either side of the conjunction should be able to make sense on its own.

Chain link

Complex Sentence

This type of sentence has one main idea (or clause) and at least one extra idea (or subordinate clause) to add further information about the main point.

Rosie, who loved to play outside, kicked the ball.

While the sun shone, Rosie kicked the ball.

In this case, the subordinate clause has to rely on the main clause for the sentence to make sense. It cannot exist on its own.

Which type of sentence is this? Choose the correct sentence type.

The panda ate bamboo shoots.

Simple

Compound

Complex

Which sentence type is the sentence below? 

All of a sudden, while the match was going on, the phone rang.

Below is an example of a complex sentence. What would the sentence become if we changed it to a simple sentence and removed the subordinate clause? 

Elephants, which are large mammals, are bigger than snails.

Elephants are bigger than snails.

Large mammals, are bigger than snails.

Which sentence type is below?

Diana loved sweets, whereas Matilda preferred chocolate.

What type of sentence is this? Choose the correct type from the options below.

While the sun shone, they stayed on the beach.

Simple

Compound

Complex

Look at the two simple sentences below. Use 'whereas' to join the two sentences to produce a compound sentence.

Sarah is at the top of the steep hill.

John was too scared to climb up.

What would the new sentence be?

Sarah is at the top of the steep hill whereas John was too scared to climb up.

Sarah is at the top. Whereas John, was too scared to climb up.

Which sentence type is this?

We visited the museum before it closed.

Simple

Compound

Complex

Look at the clauses below. What would a complex sentence made out of these clauses look like?

...I went to the Post Office

After dropping my daughter at school...

After dropping my daughter at school, I went to the Post Office.

After dropping my daughter at school. I went to the Post Office.

Harry had a passion for horse riding but Harry's brother hated the sight of horses.

Simple

Compound

Complex

Identify the main clause in this complex sentence.

The beautiful shoreline, which was fringed with palm trees, stretched out in front of us.

Write the main clause in the box below.

The beautiful shoreline stretched out in front of us.

The beautiful shoreline...

• Question 1

Which type of sentence is this? Choose the correct sentence type.

The panda ate bamboo shoots.

CORRECT ANSWER
Simple
EDDIE SAYS
This is an example of a simple sentence. It has only one main idea and one verb.
  • Question 2

Which sentence type is the sentence below? 

All of a sudden, while the match was going on, the phone rang.

CORRECT ANSWER
Complex
Complex sentence
A complex sentence
EDDIE SAYS
This is a complex sentence as it contains one main idea ('all of a sudden the phone rang') and a subordinate clause ('while the match was going on') which adds extra information but cannot exist alone.
  • Question 3

Below is an example of a complex sentence. What would the sentence become if we changed it to a simple sentence and removed the subordinate clause? 

Elephants, which are large mammals, are bigger than snails.

CORRECT ANSWER
Elephants are bigger than snails.
EDDIE SAYS
The subordinate clause in the original sentence is 'which are large mammals'. It does not make sense on its own and should be removed from the sentence when we change it to a simple sentence.
  • Question 4

Which sentence type is below?

Diana loved sweets, whereas Matilda preferred chocolate.

CORRECT ANSWER
Compound
Compound sentence
A compound sentence
EDDIE SAYS
This is a compound sentence as there are two main ideas linked together by the conjunction 'whereas'. How are you getting on?
  • Question 5

What type of sentence is this? Choose the correct type from the options below.

While the sun shone, they stayed on the beach.

CORRECT ANSWER
Complex
EDDIE SAYS
This is a complex sentence as there is one main idea ('they stayed on the beach') and a subordinate clause that adds information ('while the sun shone').
  • Question 6

Look at the two simple sentences below. Use 'whereas' to join the two sentences to produce a compound sentence.

Sarah is at the top of the steep hill.

John was too scared to climb up.

What would the new sentence be?

CORRECT ANSWER
Sarah is at the top of the steep hill whereas John was too scared to climb up.
EDDIE SAYS
To produce a compound sentence, the conjunction needs to be placed in the middle of the two simple sentences.
  • Question 7

We visited the museum before it closed.

CORRECT ANSWER
Complex
EDDIE SAYS
This is a complex sentence as the subordinate clause ('before it closed') depends on the main clause ('we visited the museum') for it to make sense.
  • Question 8

Look at the clauses below. What would a complex sentence made out of these clauses look like?

...I went to the Post Office

After dropping my daughter at school...

CORRECT ANSWER
After dropping my daughter at school, I went to the Post Office.
EDDIE SAYS
If the subordinate clause ('after dropping my daughter at school') comes before the main clause in the sentence a comma is usually used to separate the clauses. You're making great progress.
  • Question 9

Harry had a passion for horse riding but Harry's brother hated the sight of horses.

CORRECT ANSWER
Compound
EDDIE SAYS
This is a compound sentence as there are two main clauses which could exist independently, joined by the conjunction 'but'.
  • Question 10

Identify the main clause in this complex sentence.

The beautiful shoreline, which was fringed with palm trees, stretched out in front of us.

Write the main clause in the box below.

CORRECT ANSWER
The beautiful shoreline stretched out in front of us.
EDDIE SAYS
In this sentence, the subordinate clause has been inserted in the middle of the main clause. So, the main cause is 'The beautiful shoreline stretched out in front of us'. Great work, you've completed another activity! How about attempting another one so you feel super confident?
---- OR ----

Sign up for a £1 trial so you can track and measure your child's progress on this activity.

What is EdPlace?

We're your National Curriculum aligned online education content provider helping each child succeed in English, maths and science from year 1 to GCSE. With an EdPlace account you’ll be able to track and measure progress, helping each child achieve their best. We build confidence and attainment by personalising each child’s learning at a level that suits them.

Get started
laptop

Start your £1 trial today.
Subscribe from £10/month.